• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Great fear with meeting between Pope Francis and EP....

SolEX01

Toumarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2008
Messages
13,882
Reaction score
36
Points
48
Location
Central Maryland
Website
www.goarch.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of New Jersey
I've never been this afraid regarding the upcoming meeting between Pope Francis and the Ecumenical Patriarch and the closer relations between the EP/GOARCH and the Vatican.

I could never accept a union between EP and Vatican.

I don't know how ACROD and UOC-USA would feel about going back under the Vatican.  Apparently, their input has not been requested nor accepted.

I wish my fears could be allayed; however, I think that reunion is inevitable....
 

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Joined
Sep 17, 2008
Messages
7,441
Reaction score
26
Points
38
Location
Missouri, USA
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
There's no way they will ever reunite. The idea is ridiculous. Don't worry about it.
 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
36,453
Reaction score
352
Points
83
Age
41
Location
New York!
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
SolEX01 said:
I could never accept a union between EP and Vatican.
Why?  Most EP subjects around here seem to have a hate-hate relationship with the MP, and you're already in communion.  The Vatican is much nicer than Moscow.  ;)
 

ialmisry

Strategos
Warned
Post Moderated
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
41,983
Reaction score
195
Points
63
Location
Chicago
SolEX01 said:
I've never been this afraid regarding the upcoming meeting between Pope Francis and the Ecumenical Patriarch and the closer relations between the EP/GOARCH and the Vatican.

I could never accept a union between EP and Vatican.

I don't know how ACROD and UOC-USA would feel about going back under the Vatican.  Apparently, their input has not been requested nor accepted.

I wish my fears could be allayed; however, I think that reunion is inevitable....
We survived 1439.  We will survive this.

Whether the Phanar does is another matter.

You bring up an interesting point on ACROD and UOC-USA/UOCC.  Already the Czech Lands and Slovakia are having issues with the Phanar.  Unlike GOARCH, however, they can waive goodbye to the Phanar and either assert their autonomy or join the OCA, or place themselves under another Patriarch as they did with the EP.
 

ialmisry

Strategos
Warned
Post Moderated
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
41,983
Reaction score
195
Points
63
Location
Chicago
Mor Ephrem said:
SolEX01 said:
I could never accept a union between EP and Vatican.
Why?  Most EP subjects around here seem to have a hate-hate relationship with the MP, and you're already in communion.  The Vatican is much nicer than Moscow.  ;)
 

SolEX01

Toumarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2008
Messages
13,882
Reaction score
36
Points
48
Location
Central Maryland
Website
www.goarch.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of New Jersey
ialmisry said:
SolEX01 said:
I've never been this afraid regarding the upcoming meeting between Pope Francis and the Ecumenical Patriarch and the closer relations between the EP/GOARCH and the Vatican.

I could never accept a union between EP and Vatican.

I don't know how ACROD and UOC-USA would feel about going back under the Vatican.  Apparently, their input has not been requested nor accepted.

I wish my fears could be allayed; however, I think that reunion is inevitable....
We survived 1439.  We will survive this.

Whether the Phanar does is another matter.

You bring up an interesting point on ACROD and UOC-USA/UOCC.  Already the Czech Lands and Slovakia are having issues with the Phanar.  Unlike GOARCH, however, they can waive goodbye to the Phanar and either assert their autonomy or join the OCA, or place themselves under another Patriarch as they did with the EP.
I don't think ACROD and UOC-USA/UOCC could leave unilaterally.  Wouldn't the EP have to release ACROD (with one Bishop) and UOC-USA/UOCC (with their 2 Bishops) in order for them to be accepted by the OCA or anyone else?
 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
36,453
Reaction score
352
Points
83
Age
41
Location
New York!
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
SolEX01 said:
I don't think ACROD and UOC-USA/UOCC could leave unilaterally.  Wouldn't the EP have to release ACROD (with one Bishop) and UOC-USA/UOCC (with their 2 Bishops) in order for them to be accepted by the OCA or anyone else?
If the EP unites with the Vatican, as in your OP, there is no more EP to do the releasing. 
 

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Joined
Apr 18, 2011
Messages
4,829
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Age
32
Faith
Deist
Jurisdiction
N/A
Mor Ephrem said:
SolEX01 said:
I don't think ACROD and UOC-USA/UOCC could leave unilaterally.  Wouldn't the EP have to release ACROD (with one Bishop) and UOC-USA/UOCC (with their 2 Bishops) in order for them to be accepted by the OCA or anyone else?
If the EP unites with the Vatican, as in your OP, there is no more EP to do the releasing. 
And wouldn't anything like that become the Bishop of Rome's pregorative (as almost any decision from an Eastern Church is ultimately the Bishop of Rome's prerogative)? Unless Rome was actually open to treating the EP better than the EC's, I guess.
 

SolEX01

Toumarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2008
Messages
13,882
Reaction score
36
Points
48
Location
Central Maryland
Website
www.goarch.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of New Jersey
Mor Ephrem said:
SolEX01 said:
I don't think ACROD and UOC-USA/UOCC could leave unilaterally.  Wouldn't the EP have to release ACROD (with one Bishop) and UOC-USA/UOCC (with their 2 Bishops) in order for them to be accepted by the OCA or anyone else?
If the EP unites with the Vatican, as in your OP, there is no more EP to do the releasing.  
That statement assumes that the EP remains an autocephalous church not under the Vatican.  If union does happen, then ACROD plus UOC-USA/UOCC are in the same boat they were before going under the EP.

This whole ploy is a stunt to make the MP the Ecumenical Patriarch and then he merges with the Vatican.
 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
36,453
Reaction score
352
Points
83
Age
41
Location
New York!
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Nephi said:
Mor Ephrem said:
SolEX01 said:
I don't think ACROD and UOC-USA/UOCC could leave unilaterally.  Wouldn't the EP have to release ACROD (with one Bishop) and UOC-USA/UOCC (with their 2 Bishops) in order for them to be accepted by the OCA or anyone else?
If the EP unites with the Vatican, as in your OP, there is no more EP to do the releasing. 
And wouldn't anything like that become the Bishop of Rome's pregorative (as almost any decision from an Eastern Church is ultimately the Bishop of Rome's prerogative)? Unless Rome was actually open to treating the EP better than the EC's, I guess.
My point is that no one is required to follow their primate into schism.  In SolEX01's example, ACROD and UOC-USA wouldn't need to be released by the EP if the EP has "released himself" from Orthodoxy and they don't wish to release themselves in the same way.  They would be on their own by that very fact, and would have to chart their own course one way or another.  
 

Maria

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
14,023
Reaction score
12
Points
0
Location
USA
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
SolEX01 said:
I've never been this afraid regarding the upcoming meeting between Pope Francis and the Ecumenical Patriarch and the closer relations between the EP/GOARCH and the Vatican.

I could never accept a union between EP and Vatican.

I don't know how ACROD and UOC-USA would feel about going back under the Vatican.  Apparently, their input has not been requested nor accepted.

I wish my fears could be allayed; however, I think that reunion is inevitable....
I agree.

When I was attending a GOARCH parish, both priests at my parish were in favor of union with Rome. In fact, many children in that parish had both Orthodox and Roman Catholic godparents with the RC godparent promising to raise the child as Roman Catholic and the Orthodox godparent promising to raise the child as Orthodox. I knew several inter-faith marriage couples (Orthodox-RC) where one spouse was thinking of joining the Orthodox Church, but the Orthodox pastor would not allow it and greatly discouraged it.
 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
36,453
Reaction score
352
Points
83
Age
41
Location
New York!
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
SolEX01 said:
Mor Ephrem said:
SolEX01 said:
I don't think ACROD and UOC-USA/UOCC could leave unilaterally.  Wouldn't the EP have to release ACROD (with one Bishop) and UOC-USA/UOCC (with their 2 Bishops) in order for them to be accepted by the OCA or anyone else?
If the EP unites with the Vatican, as in your OP, there is no more EP to do the releasing.  
That statement assumes that the EP remains an autocephalous church not under the Vatican.  If union does happen, then ACROD plus UOC-USA/UOCC are in the same boat they were before going under the EP.
What?

This whole ploy is a stunt to make the MP the Ecumenical Patriarch and then he merges with the Vatican.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but people around here were less crazy a month into Great Lent than they are a month into Pascha.  What nonsense.    
 

Maria

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
14,023
Reaction score
12
Points
0
Location
USA
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
Mor Ephrem said:
SolEX01 said:
Mor Ephrem said:
SolEX01 said:
I don't think ACROD and UOC-USA/UOCC could leave unilaterally.  Wouldn't the EP have to release ACROD (with one Bishop) and UOC-USA/UOCC (with their 2 Bishops) in order for them to be accepted by the OCA or anyone else?
If the EP unites with the Vatican, as in your OP, there is no more EP to do the releasing.  
That statement assumes that the EP remains an autocephalous church not under the Vatican.  If union does happen, then ACROD plus UOC-USA/UOCC are in the same boat they were before going under the EP.
What?

This whole ploy is a stunt to make the MP the Ecumenical Patriarch and then he merges with the Vatican.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but people around here were less crazy a month into Great Lent than they are a month into Pascha.  What nonsense.    
Although wine, beer, and booze have been flowing quite freely now that the Great Fast has past, the videos from the EP have not been very soothing. The timing! Let the people imbibe while the EP and Vatican issue some strange videos praising a reunion. Most will remain intoxicated and sleep, but some will wake up.
 

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Joined
Apr 18, 2011
Messages
4,829
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Age
32
Faith
Deist
Jurisdiction
N/A
Mor Ephrem said:
Nephi said:
And wouldn't anything like that become the Bishop of Rome's pregorative (as almost any decision from an Eastern Church is ultimately the Bishop of Rome's prerogative)? Unless Rome was actually open to treating the EP better than the EC's, I guess.
My point is that no one is required to follow their primate into schism.  In SolEX01's example, ACROD and UOC-USA wouldn't need to be released by the EP if the EP has "released himself" from Orthodoxy and they don't wish to release themselves in the same way.  They would be on their own by that very fact, and would have to chart their own course one way or another.  
Oh, then that's quite true. Such calls to mind the example of Patriarch Cyril VI's attempt to lead Antioch into union with Rome.
 

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Joined
Apr 18, 2011
Messages
4,829
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Age
32
Faith
Deist
Jurisdiction
N/A
SolEX01 said:
This whole ploy is a stunt to make the MP the Ecumenical Patriarch and then he merges with the Vatican.
I think that's reaching a bit... If all of this were to make the Patriarch of Moscow the "new Ecumenical Patriarch," then why would he just turn around and give it up instead of just joining Rome to begin with?
 

SolEX01

Toumarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2008
Messages
13,882
Reaction score
36
Points
48
Location
Central Maryland
Website
www.goarch.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of New Jersey
Nephi said:
SolEX01 said:
This whole ploy is a stunt to make the MP the Ecumenical Patriarch and then he merges with the Vatican.
I think that's reaching a bit... If all of this were to make the Patriarch of Moscow the "new Ecumenical Patriarch," then why would he just turn around and give it up instead of just joining Rome to begin with?
An Ecumenical Council is needed to redefine who is the Ecumenical Patriarch - the so-called Holy and Great Council of 2016 - if that ever occurs.

The current EP could resign, personally join the Vatican, become a Cardinal, etc. - his former Synod would elect someone to be the new Archbishop of Constantinople aka the Ecumenical Patriarch.
 

Maria

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
14,023
Reaction score
12
Points
0
Location
USA
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
SolEX01 said:
Nephi said:
SolEX01 said:
This whole ploy is a stunt to make the MP the Ecumenical Patriarch and then he merges with the Vatican.
I think that's reaching a bit... If all of this were to make the Patriarch of Moscow the "new Ecumenical Patriarch," then why would he just turn around and give it up instead of just joining Rome to begin with?
An Ecumenical Council is needed to redefine who is the Ecumenical Patriarch - the so-called Holy and Great Council of 2016 - if that ever occurs.

The current EP could resign, personally join the Vatican, become a Cardinal, etc. - his former Synod would elect someone to be the new Archbishop of Constantinople aka the Ecumenical Patriarch.
Or, the whole scenario of the Melkite formation could happen, with not Antioch but Constantinople joining with Rome. Lord have mercy.
 

ialmisry

Strategos
Warned
Post Moderated
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
41,983
Reaction score
195
Points
63
Location
Chicago
Maria said:
SolEX01 said:
Nephi said:
SolEX01 said:
This whole ploy is a stunt to make the MP the Ecumenical Patriarch and then he merges with the Vatican.
I think that's reaching a bit... If all of this were to make the Patriarch of Moscow the "new Ecumenical Patriarch," then why would he just turn around and give it up instead of just joining Rome to begin with?
An Ecumenical Council is needed to redefine who is the Ecumenical Patriarch - the so-called Holy and Great Council of 2016 - if that ever occurs.

The current EP could resign, personally join the Vatican, become a Cardinal, etc. - his former Synod would elect someone to be the new Archbishop of Constantinople aka the Ecumenical Patriarch.
Or, the whole scenario of the Melkite formation could happen, with not Antioch but Constantinople joining with Rome. Lord have mercy.
What scenario is that?
 

Maria

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
14,023
Reaction score
12
Points
0
Location
USA
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
ialmisry said:
Maria said:
SolEX01 said:
Nephi said:
SolEX01 said:
This whole ploy is a stunt to make the MP the Ecumenical Patriarch and then he merges with the Vatican.
I think that's reaching a bit... If all of this were to make the Patriarch of Moscow the "new Ecumenical Patriarch," then why would he just turn around and give it up instead of just joining Rome to begin with?
An Ecumenical Council is needed to redefine who is the Ecumenical Patriarch - the so-called Holy and Great Council of 2016 - if that ever occurs.

The current EP could resign, personally join the Vatican, become a Cardinal, etc. - his former Synod would elect someone to be the new Archbishop of Constantinople aka the Ecumenical Patriarch.
Or, the whole scenario of the Melkite formation could happen, with not Antioch but Constantinople joining with Rome. Lord have mercy.
What scenario is that?
Since the formal declaration of Roman/Melkite union in 1724, the Melkite Catholics have worked steady to be a “voice for the East within the Western Church.”
  https://melkite.org/faith/faith-worship/the-melkites

There was the 1724 union of the Melkites with Rome. At that time, most of the Antiochians left the Orthodox Church and the EP had to appoint a new Antiochian Patriarch for the few that remained.
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
40,373
Reaction score
861
Points
113
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Let perfect love cast out your fear...
 

SolEX01

Toumarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2008
Messages
13,882
Reaction score
36
Points
48
Location
Central Maryland
Website
www.goarch.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of New Jersey
Funny, not one Bishop from the EP's territories in Greece included with the EP's delegation.

His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios of America
His Eminence Metropolitan Gennadios of Italy
His Eminence Metropolitan John of Pergamon
His Eminence Metropolitan Iakovos of the Princes Islands
His Eminence Metropolitan Emmanuel of France
His Eminence Metropolitan Gennadios of Sassima
His Eminence Archbishop Job of Telmessos

http://www.goarch.org/news/patriarchaldelegation-05162014

So, if the EP wants to unite with the Vatican, the Church of Greece no longer has to worry about dealing with the EP.  ;D
 

ialmisry

Strategos
Warned
Post Moderated
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
41,983
Reaction score
195
Points
63
Location
Chicago
Maria said:
ialmisry said:
Maria said:
SolEX01 said:
Nephi said:
SolEX01 said:
This whole ploy is a stunt to make the MP the Ecumenical Patriarch and then he merges with the Vatican.
I think that's reaching a bit... If all of this were to make the Patriarch of Moscow the "new Ecumenical Patriarch," then why would he just turn around and give it up instead of just joining Rome to begin with?
An Ecumenical Council is needed to redefine who is the Ecumenical Patriarch - the so-called Holy and Great Council of 2016 - if that ever occurs.

The current EP could resign, personally join the Vatican, become a Cardinal, etc. - his former Synod would elect someone to be the new Archbishop of Constantinople aka the Ecumenical Patriarch.
Or, the whole scenario of the Melkite formation could happen, with not Antioch but Constantinople joining with Rome. Lord have mercy.
What scenario is that?
Since the formal declaration of Roman/Melkite union in 1724, the Melkite Catholics have worked steady to be a “voice for the East within the Western Church.”
 https://melkite.org/faith/faith-worship/the-melkites

There was the 1724 union of the Melkites with Rome. At that time, most of the Antiochians left the Orthodox Church and the EP had to appoint a new Antiochian Patriarch for the few that remained.
The Vatican would like you to think that, but no.  The Holy Synod had sent for Sylvester to be consecrated.  Two renegade bishops in the meantime moved quickly in the interim and ordained another renegade bishop for a robber council to make their own patriarch, whom not even the Vatican's representatives recognized.
The "union" didn't have the Vatican's stamp of approval until many years later.  Sylvester, consecrated patriarch a week after Cyril but according to the canons and the law, had the renegades all deposed and excommunicated within a matter of months, with a warrant for their arrest.  The pseudo-patriarch went for decades without receiving a pallium from the Vatican.
 

Maria

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
14,023
Reaction score
12
Points
0
Location
USA
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
ialmisry said:
Maria said:
ialmisry said:
Maria said:
SolEX01 said:
Nephi said:
SolEX01 said:
This whole ploy is a stunt to make the MP the Ecumenical Patriarch and then he merges with the Vatican.
I think that's reaching a bit... If all of this were to make the Patriarch of Moscow the "new Ecumenical Patriarch," then why would he just turn around and give it up instead of just joining Rome to begin with?
An Ecumenical Council is needed to redefine who is the Ecumenical Patriarch - the so-called Holy and Great Council of 2016 - if that ever occurs.

The current EP could resign, personally join the Vatican, become a Cardinal, etc. - his former Synod would elect someone to be the new Archbishop of Constantinople aka the Ecumenical Patriarch.
Or, the whole scenario of the Melkite formation could happen, with not Antioch but Constantinople joining with Rome. Lord have mercy.
What scenario is that?
Since the formal declaration of Roman/Melkite union in 1724, the Melkite Catholics have worked steady to be a “voice for the East within the Western Church.”
 https://melkite.org/faith/faith-worship/the-melkites

There was the 1724 union of the Melkites with Rome. At that time, most of the Antiochians left the Orthodox Church and the EP had to appoint a new Antiochian Patriarch for the few that remained.
The Vatican would like you to think that, but no.  The Holy Synod had sent for Sylvester to be consecrated.  Two renegade bishops in the meantime moved quickly in the interim and ordained another renegade bishop for a robber council to make their own patriarch, whom not even the Vatican's representatives recognized.
The "union" didn't have the Vatican's stamp of approval until many years later.  Sylvester, consecrated patriarch a week after Cyril but according to the canons and the law, had the renegades all deposed and excommunicated within a matter of months, with a warrant for their arrest.
There are always two different stories. The outcome was the same. Unfortunately, many left the Antiochians and headed for Rome. If the EP joins Rome, then the Antiochians can restore the Patriarch of Constantinople. Nevertheless, great damage will have been done and the Phanar will then belong to Rome.
 

ialmisry

Strategos
Warned
Post Moderated
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
41,983
Reaction score
195
Points
63
Location
Chicago
Maria said:
ialmisry said:
Maria said:
ialmisry said:
Maria said:
SolEX01 said:
Nephi said:
SolEX01 said:
This whole ploy is a stunt to make the MP the Ecumenical Patriarch and then he merges with the Vatican.
I think that's reaching a bit... If all of this were to make the Patriarch of Moscow the "new Ecumenical Patriarch," then why would he just turn around and give it up instead of just joining Rome to begin with?
An Ecumenical Council is needed to redefine who is the Ecumenical Patriarch - the so-called Holy and Great Council of 2016 - if that ever occurs.

The current EP could resign, personally join the Vatican, become a Cardinal, etc. - his former Synod would elect someone to be the new Archbishop of Constantinople aka the Ecumenical Patriarch.
Or, the whole scenario of the Melkite formation could happen, with not Antioch but Constantinople joining with Rome. Lord have mercy.
What scenario is that?
Since the formal declaration of Roman/Melkite union in 1724, the Melkite Catholics have worked steady to be a “voice for the East within the Western Church.”
 https://melkite.org/faith/faith-worship/the-melkites

There was the 1724 union of the Melkites with Rome. At that time, most of the Antiochians left the Orthodox Church and the EP had to appoint a new Antiochian Patriarch for the few that remained.
The Vatican would like you to think that, but no.  The Holy Synod had sent for Sylvester to be consecrated.  Two renegade bishops in the meantime moved quickly in the interim and ordained another renegade bishop for a robber council to make their own patriarch, whom not even the Vatican's representatives recognized.
The "union" didn't have the Vatican's stamp of approval until many years later.  Sylvester, consecrated patriarch a week after Cyril but according to the canons and the law, had the renegades all deposed and excommunicated within a matter of months, with a warrant for their arrest.
There are always two different stories.
But in this case, only one set of facts.
Maria said:
The outcome was the same. Unfortunately, many left the Antiochians and headed for Rome. If the EP joins Rome, then the Antiochians can restore the Patriarch of Constantinople.
If the club goes, there is nothing to restore.  Nor anything that needs to be restored.
We have gotten on well without Old Rome, we'll do fine without New Rome as well.
 

methodius

Elder
Joined
Mar 31, 2014
Messages
479
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
79
Location
Vancouver
I think, to quote Shakespeare, you'll find that this is 'Much ado about nothing'.
When has the Church ever decided to take any course of action in under a century, or so?
Well, a substantive one, anyway...
 

ialmisry

Strategos
Warned
Post Moderated
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
41,983
Reaction score
195
Points
63
Location
Chicago
methodius said:
I think, to quote Shakespeare, you'll find that this is 'Much ado about nothing'.
When has the Church ever decided to take any course of action in under a century, or so?
Can't (and shouldn't) depend on that: this nonsense has been a century in the making.
 

Maria

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
14,023
Reaction score
12
Points
0
Location
USA
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
ialmisry said:
If the club goes, there is nothing to restore.  Nor anything that needs to be restored.
We have gotten on well without Old Rome, we'll do fine without New Rome as well.
I agree. Perhaps the EP will be happier being a Roman!
 

ICXCNIKA

OC.Net Guru
Joined
May 28, 2010
Messages
1,584
Reaction score
56
Points
48
Location
Lincoln, Nebraska
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Crimean Orthodox Church-MP
SolEX01 said:
Nephi said:
SolEX01 said:
This whole ploy is a stunt to make the MP the Ecumenical Patriarch and then he merges with the Vatican.
I think that's reaching a bit... If all of this were to make the Patriarch of Moscow the "new Ecumenical Patriarch," then why would he just turn around and give it up instead of just joining Rome to begin with?
An Ecumenical Council is needed to redefine who is the Ecumenical Patriarch - the so-called Holy and Great Council of 2016 - if that ever occurs.

The current EP could resign, personally join the Vatican, become a Cardinal, etc. - his former Synod would elect someone to be the new Archbishop of Constantinople aka the Ecumenical Patriarch.
Forgive my ignorance but what Ecumenical Council defined who is the Ecumenical Patriarch or bestowed that title? Honest question.

I know that the councils made Constantinople autocephalous and raised it to the 2nd place of honor equal to old Rome because it was the capital of the empire. I have never understood how that could still be the case since constantinople is not the capital any  longer and the empire was destroyed many centuries ago.
 

methodius

Elder
Joined
Mar 31, 2014
Messages
479
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
79
Location
Vancouver
and further to that; how can there be an Ecumenical Council anymore, in any case?
Who would define it as such?
And since there is no Patriarch of the West - Benedict XVI renounced the title - the whole structure seems to have gone astray.

Which of the ancient Patriarchates still exist? Can the new'upstart' ones like Moscow and Romania be considered members of a 'General EO Council' by whatever name it  might be called?

How are the OO Churches to be fitted in?

Reminds me of the Chinese curse: May you live in interesting times...! :laugh:
 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
36,453
Reaction score
352
Points
83
Age
41
Location
New York!
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
SolEX01 said:
Nephi said:
SolEX01 said:
This whole ploy is a stunt to make the MP the Ecumenical Patriarch and then he merges with the Vatican.
I think that's reaching a bit... If all of this were to make the Patriarch of Moscow the "new Ecumenical Patriarch," then why would he just turn around and give it up instead of just joining Rome to begin with?
An Ecumenical Council is needed to redefine who is the Ecumenical Patriarch - the so-called Holy and Great Council of 2016 - if that ever occurs.
No, it wouldn't be needed.  No such council met after the Great Schism "to redefine" who is the Pope of Rome, the See simply fell away.  Constantinople is even less special than Rome.

The current EP could resign, personally join the Vatican, become a Cardinal, etc. - his former Synod would elect someone to be the new Archbishop of Constantinople aka the Ecumenical Patriarch.
In this fantasy of a thread, a ray of reality shines.
 

Aristocles

Merarches
Joined
Apr 23, 2003
Messages
10,031
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Pittsburgh
I suggest the OP just jump ship now and abandon the GOA.

Playing Chicken Little is fun on the Internet, no?  ;)
 

podkarpatska

Merarches
Joined
Oct 24, 2009
Messages
9,732
Reaction score
3
Points
0
Location
Northeast United States
Website
www.acrod.org
Αριστοκλής said:
I suggest the OP just jump ship now and abandon the GOA.

Playing Chicken Little is fun on the Internet, no?  ;)
Truly, we have entered into Jerry Seinfeld's imagination.

Like his show, this is a thread about nothing.

And like episode 137, this is our own Bizzaro-world. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IcjSDZNbOs0

Reunion of God's children with His Holy Orthodox Church will occur if it is His will. I pray that it is for the sake of this world. That is the "union with Rome" sought by the ecumenically minded Orthodox. Not a false union.

The personal attacks against Patriarch Bartholomew  and the intellectually dishonest screeds expressed by many who should know better are simply shameful. It's one thing to disagree, it's far different to be disagreeable in the process.
 

Seth84

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Nov 28, 2008
Messages
1,077
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
37
Ridiculous.  I don't foresee this ever happening.  However, if it does, you can tell me, "I told you so!"  Until then, I'm going to focus on my own spiritual life which is in shambles and deal with any ecclesiastical issues as they present themselves.
 

ialmisry

Strategos
Warned
Post Moderated
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
41,983
Reaction score
195
Points
63
Location
Chicago
podkarpatska said:
Αριστοκλής said:
I suggest the OP just jump ship now and abandon the GOA.

Playing Chicken Little is fun on the Internet, no?  ;)
Truly, we have entered into Jerry Seinfeld's imagination.

Like his show, this is a thread about nothing.

And like episode 137, this is our own Bizzaro-world. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IcjSDZNbOs0

Reunion of God's children with His Holy Orthodox Church will occur if it is His will. I pray that it is for the sake of this world. That is the "union with Rome" sought by the ecumenically minded Orthodox. Not a false union.
That is what they said as they set off from Constantinople for Florence.

I wouldn't want EP Joseph II to have died in vain.
podkarpatska said:
The personal attacks against Patriarch Bartholomew
such as?
podkarpatska said:
and the intellectually dishonest screeds
such as?
podkarpatska said:
expressed by many who should know better are simply shameful. It's one thing to disagree, it's far different to be disagreeable in the process.
Offense makes the best defense.

Speaking of intellectually dishonest screeds by many who should know better, has Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew commented on this yet?
http://www.patriarchate.org/news/releases/first-without-equals-lambriniadis
 

Shlomlokh

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Messages
1,356
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
33
Location
Roanoke, VA
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Bulgarian/GOA
The line GOARCH keeps pushing (on its Facebook page at least) is that this meeting has the full support of the other Patriarchates. Can someone show me where this is the case?

In Christ,
Andrew
 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
36,453
Reaction score
352
Points
83
Age
41
Location
New York!
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Shlomlokh said:
The line GOARCH keeps pushing (on its Facebook page at least) is that this meeting has the full support of the other Patriarchates. Can someone show me where this is the case?
Have any of the other patriarchates publicly come out in opposition?
 

ialmisry

Strategos
Warned
Post Moderated
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
41,983
Reaction score
195
Points
63
Location
Chicago
Mor Ephrem said:
Shlomlokh said:
The line GOARCH keeps pushing (on its Facebook page at least) is that this meeting has the full support of the other Patriarchates. Can someone show me where this is the case?
Have any of the other patriarchates publicly come out in opposition?
most importantly, has the Patriarchate of Jerusalem said anything?
 

Gorazd

Archon
Joined
Jul 14, 2009
Messages
2,571
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Faith
7 Councils
Jurisdiction
First without Equals
Rather hell would freeze over than his All-Holiness Bartholomew would enter a Florence-style union with Rome.

If however one of his successors would do that, joining the Patriarchate of Georgia would be a good choice for me, the sinner.
 

rakovsky

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
12,759
Reaction score
289
Points
83
Location
USA
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
ialmisry said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Shlomlokh said:
The line GOARCH keeps pushing (on its Facebook page at least) is that this meeting has the full support of the other Patriarchates. Can someone show me where this is the case?
Have any of the other patriarchates publicly come out in opposition?
most importantly, has the Patriarchate of Jerusalem said anything?
Will the JP be very involved in the celebrations?
 
Top