• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Great fear with meeting between Pope Francis and EP....

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Deist
Jurisdiction
N/A
Mor Ephrem said:
ialmisry said:
ialmisry said:
This may be of interest, or at least interesting:
Concerning the ’Historic Meeting‘ Between Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew and Pope Francis (May, 2014)
http://orthodoxinfo.com/ecumenism/about-the-apostolic-pilgrimage-patriarch-bartholomew-and-pope-francis.aspx
I want to support it, but then I read this:

Read the amazing letter to Pope Francis (April, 2014) by Metropolitan Seraphim of Piraeus (Church of Greece).
SMH. 
It looks like you and I are of like mind.

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of New Jersey
Andrew21091 said:
I often wonder why we even have bishops at all. We all know more about the Faith than they do.

All this paranoia about bishops. No faith in Christ or the Church at all.
Fallen bishops are the lightposts to hell - at least according to St. John Climacus....

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Andrew21091 said:
I often wonder why we even have bishops at all. We all know more about the Faith than they do.

God helps those who help themselves.
And especially those who help Orthodox bishops-like the Faithful who rallied to Met. St. Mark of Ephesus, and turned their back on "EP" Gregory Mammas.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
SolEX01 said:
Fallen bishops are the lightposts to hell - at least according to St. John Climacus....
Funny, I've heard this attributed to St John Chrysostom.  

St John Cassian also said something about bishops which, when I read it, made me smile:

WHEREFORE this is an old maxim of the Fathers that is still current,--though I cannot produce it without shame on my own part, since I could not avoid my own sister, nor escape the hands of the bishop,--viz., that a monk ought by all means to fly from women and bishops. For neither of them will allow him who has once been joined in close intercourse any longer to care for the quiet of his cell, or to continue with pure eyes in divine contemplation through his insight into holy things.

Institutes, Book XI, Chapter XVIII
When I read it, I emailed it to a hieromonk who needed cheering up.  I love Johns, they are great!  :)

Andrew21091

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
ialmisry said:
Andrew21091 said:

And especially those who help Orthodox bishops-like the Faithful who rallied to Met. St. Mark of Ephesus, and turned their back on "EP" Gregory Mammas.
St. Mark was a bishop. Who are you?

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Andrew21091 said:
ialmisry said:
Andrew21091 said:

One of his rallied Faithful. Who are you?

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Andrew21091 said:
ialmisry said:
Andrew21091 said:

Nestorius was a Patriarch of Constantinople.  So? 

Andrew21091

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
ialmisry said:
Andrew21091 said:
ialmisry said:
Andrew21091 said:

Didn't know you were that old.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Everyone wants to be St. Mark of Ephesus. No one ever wants to be St. Anthony.

Andrew21091

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Andrew21091 said:
ialmisry said:
Andrew21091 said:

But who condemned him? I suppose my whole point is that we need to be careful to judge bishops. Obviously, we can criticize their actions, but assuming that we know better is a delusion from the evil one. You can say bishops are light posts to hell all you want, but following our own wills is even more damning.

If a patriarch falls into schism, then it is up to a council of bishops to condemn him. That is why an Ecumenical Council was called to deal with Nestorius, right?

Andrew21091

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Andrew21091 said:
ialmisry said:
Andrew21091 said:
ialmisry said:
Andrew21091 said:

Didn't know you were that old.
All joking aside. I am nobody really. I'm only a lay person (a janitor at that!) and have no place to tell bishops what to do. I also don't have a place to compare myself to any Saint.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Andrew21091 said:
Mor Ephrem said:
But who condemned him? I suppose my whole point is that we need to be careful to judge bishops.
Definitely.

Obviously, we can criticize their actions, but assuming that we know better is a delusion from the evil one.
As a general principle, I might agree.  But when the thing about which we know better is really a fairly simple matter, it's not delusion, it's baptismal responsibility.  For instance, if the Ecumenical Patriarch received Communion at a Mass celebrated by Pope Francis, I'm sure you'd be able to find twelve bishops who could spin that in some theologically plausible manner, but it's really quite simple and people ought to protest that.  Some things are simple.  And it is my experience that when bishops are challenged on such things, they are only too eager to jump for the "I'm a bishop, who are you?" card rather than scaling down their predilection for complexity.  

If a patriarch falls into schism, then it is up to a council of bishops to condemn him. That is why an Ecumenical Council was called to deal with Nestorius, right?
An ecumenical council is not just a matter of bishops.  A bishop without a flock is, properly speaking, no bishop.  So yes, bishops meet in synod, bishops make judgements, bishops enforce discipline, etc.  But they alone are not the Church.  At times, "the people" have rejected what "the bishops" accepted, and history vindicated "the people".

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Mor Ephrem said:
SolEX01 said:
Funny, I've heard this attributed to St John Chrysostom.  

St John Cassian also said something about bishops which, when I read it, made me smile:

WHEREFORE this is an old maxim of the Fathers that is still current,--though I cannot produce it without shame on my own part, since I could not avoid my own sister, nor escape the hands of the bishop,--viz., that a monk ought by all means to fly from women and bishops. For neither of them will allow him who has once been joined in close intercourse any longer to care for the quiet of his cell, or to continue with pure eyes in divine contemplation through his insight into holy things.

Institutes, Book XI, Chapter XVIII
When I read it, I emailed it to a hieromonk who needed cheering up.  I love Johns, they are great!  :)
I am not familiar with the lightposts quote, but St. John Chrysostom does say in his 3rd Homily on Acts that: "I do not think there are many among Bishops that will be saved, but many more that perish."

Andrew21091 said:
But who condemned him? I suppose my whole point is that we need to be careful to judge bishops. Obviously, we can criticize their actions, but assuming that we know better is a delusion from the evil one. You can say bishops are light posts to hell all you want, but following our own wills is even more damning.

+1. And I should have used something more like this above than what I did...

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Andrew21091 said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Andrew21091 said:
ialmisry said:
Andrew21091 said:

Actually Pope St. Cyril, the hero of that Council, gave the credit to a layman Eusebius (who later became the bishop of Doryleum) for exposing Nestorius (he performed a similar service in exposing Eutyches).

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
People complaining on a message board sounds more similar (though not exactly the same) to St. Gregory complaining about people arguing theology and dogmatic disputes in the marketplace. "It is not for everyone" to delve into such things. Some of us are better off avoiding certain topics, for a variety of reasons.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Asteriktos said:
People complaining on a message board sounds more similar (though not exactly the same) to St. Gregory complaining about people arguing theology and dogmatic disputes in the marketplace. "It is not for everyone" to delve into such things. Some of us are better off avoiding certain topics, for a variety of reasons.
Do you have the citation handy?  I've been looking for that.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Oration 27, and 27.2 for the part about the marketplace. If memory serves he also makes a similar complaint somewhere in his poetry, though I don't recall where exactly.

Aristocles

Merarches
Reaction score
ialmisry said:
Andrew21091 said:
ialmisry said:
Andrew21091 said:

That's it. Isa, out of control with his venom. After over ten years here, adios folks. I must shake the DIRT from my feet and move on.

Wandile

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Catholic Church - Roman rite
Jurisdiction
Archdiocese of Pretoria
Αριστοκλής said:
ialmisry said:
Andrew21091 said:
ialmisry said:
Andrew21091 said:

That's it. Isa, out of control with his venom. After over ten years here, adios folks. I must shake the DIRT from my feet and move on.
LOL

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Αριστοκλής said:
It's not the first time you've said you're leaving.

primuspilus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
A displaced Southerner in the Godless North
Website
www.saintgregorythetheologian.org
Faith
Greek Orthodox (former WR)
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
The EP wont join Rome any time soon so this is all just an intellectual exercise. However, I will say this; if the EP joined Rome, you'd be able to hear the collective laughter from Mt. Athos anywhere on Earth.

PP

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
LBK said:
Αριστοκλής said:
I feel bad for anyone who can blame Aristokles for it, it means they've grown used to such hate.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Antonis said:
LBK said:
Αριστοκλής said:
I feel bad for anyone who can blame Aristokles for it, it means they've grown used to such hate.
Or we've learned to just disengage and ignore the nonsense that surrounds certain peoples posting styles.

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
primuspilus said:
The EP wont join Rome any time soon so this is all just an intellectual exercise. However, I will say this; if the EP joined Rome, you'd be able to hear the collective laughter from Mt. Athos anywhere on Earth.

PP
Calling what passes here for "debate" or "discussion"  an "intellectual exercise" is an insult to all intellectuals, pseudo or otherwise alike!  :)

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
While we are discussing our great fears, I am greatly concerned that the RC Church will convert all the Martians before we have a chance at them, thereby dooming us to be a mere terrestrial Church while the Latins become a celestial Church.

Discuss.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Antonis said:
LBK said:
Αριστοκλής said:
Do people hate the truth so much?

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
podkarpatska said:
primuspilus said:

PP
Calling what passes here for "debate" or "discussion"  an "intellectual exercise" is an insult to all intellectuals, pseudo or otherwise alike!  :)
LOL.  You've not been near Academia much or lately.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
While we are discussing our great fears, I am greatly concerned that the RC Church will convert all the Martians before we have a chance at them, thereby dooming us to be a mere terrestrial Church while the Latins become a celestial Church.

Discuss.
Haven't the Mormons done that already.

And we're already a super-celestial Church.

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
TheTrisagion said:

Discuss.
In a secret document found by History Channel investigators who were given access to Vatican Archives, it appears that Copernicus and Galileo recently got together late in 2013 with Pope Alexander VI and persuaded Pope Francis to concede Uranus to the Orthodox.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
podkarpatska said:
In a secret document found by History Channel investigators who were given access to Vatican Archives, it appears that Copernicus and Galileo recently got together late in 2013 with Pope Alexander VI and persuaded Pope Francis to concede Uranus to the Orthodox.
Dare I say this makes far more sense than the OP.  ;)

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
ialmisry said:
Fabio Leite said:
Yesterday I was talking to a former Orthodox who studies in the local Ukrainian Greek-Catholic seminary.

I was informed they actively teach there is no need for conversion because RC and the Orthodox Church are already one, that they actually never split, it's just political games among the hierarchy, that it does not matter where one is baptized or takes communion or gets married. The person does not even think he is "former Orthodox", as he was taught there simply isn't any need for "conversion" from one church to the other. Obviously, in a place where the RC is established for 500 years, with all the structure, support, social acceptance and status it can provide, it means that insisting on your own church can only be an ethnical thing. If they are the same, why insist on a "greek" or "syrian-lebanese" church if it is Christ that matters? And, he also told me that they are instructed to get as many people as possible to church, which, under the terms above, just "happens to be" the RC.

That, my friends, is the concrete effects of the "ecumenical" dialogues in real practice, down in the ground, not in theory, ideals, hopes, commitments, essays, articles, "deep" theological thinking, dreams or the high halls of international meetings and congresses. What starts as "fraternity" and "love" ends in petty word plays that lead people to leave their faith without even noticing what is happening. It happened with the whole Antiochian community in the Northern state of Pará here. It is happening all over the place in Latin America. It *will* happen anywhere where the "ecumenical" dialogue is accepted in its current ambiguous terms, it's just a matter of stages of development. And for all those who are son non-chalant and so self-assured of the "non-consequence" of the ecumenical abuses: *this* is the effect. And just because it's not happening in *your* area now, be sure the "dialogues" just have to continue for this kind of thing to eventually happen there.

Sad.
So, as we see, this is where all this "Sister Church" talk leads, especially one the "sister" who wants to be Mother is holding her chalice out.

Irish45

Elder
Reaction score
All this bickering and "im afraid it was the Mormons, yes the Mormons was the correct answer..."
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=123_1190395606&comments=1

primuspilus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
A displaced Southerner in the Godless North
Website
www.saintgregorythetheologian.org
Faith
Greek Orthodox (former WR)
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
Irish45 said:
All this bickering and "im afraid it was the Mormons, yes the Mormons was the correct answer..."
I still like South Park. At least they equally make fun of everyone, and put it in the context of the story. Unlike Family Guy.

PP

Irish45

Elder
Reaction score
I fully agree.  I do not watch show much anymore, but I feel the show keeps it's credibility because everyone is fair game when it comes to jokes.  Family Guy is a show I despise, and their Anti-Christian jokes seem more bigoted.

primuspilus said:
Irish45 said:
I still like South Park. At least they equally make fun of everyone, and put it in the context of the story. Unlike Family Guy.

PP