• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Greater works than those of Christ by created beings?

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Antioch
"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father." (John 14:12, King James Version, KJV).......I realize that this pertains to miraculous gifts conferred to man, especially after Pentecost, but can these also point to the afterlife? Or that some prayers for ourselves & our neighbor will manifest in the future of the afterlife? That more fortunate souls could minister to less fortunate souls before the final judgement?....Of course, I make no deluded assumptions of my own sorry state of being in this, keep primary focus of the present & realize the fragility of our earthly life. I once asked our parish priest this question & he said that he did not know but did not seem to have any problem with this matter being discussed.

GammaRay

High Elder
Reaction score
I don't know why, but I feel like I have never read this one before (despite that John is my favourite Gospel, I think).

Well, what's wrong with it? I suppose our Lord is talking about the Spirit's powers, like healing, preaching, speaking in other tongues and so on. His Sacrifice is irreplaceable.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Antioch
GammaRay said:
I don't know why, but I feel like I have never read this one before (despite that John is my favourite Gospel, I think).

Well, what's wrong with it? I suppose our Lord is talking about the Spirit's powers, like healing, preaching, speaking in other tongues and so on. His Sacrifice is irreplaceable.
It is a hopeful perception of mine that this could be an indication of partaking of the divine nature that is understood within Orthodoxy ( per 2 Peter 1:4,  begun in this life, of course).

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
Can we ever know this side of death?