• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Greece's Disappearing Whistled Language

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
www.bbc.com/travel/story/20170731-greeces-disappearing-whistled-language

I can't whistle to save my life, but being a shepherd to a small herd of Nubian dairy goats is a life-long dream.  This whistling language reminded me of the women herders of Sweden called kulning.  It, too, is dying out.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
The awful war against Man marches on. Lord, have mercy.

A very, very interesting post, Gabriel.

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:

We're losing so much of our agrarian lifestyle.  So much of our language and culture comes from our agrarian, shepherding past.  It's truly a tragedy, which, interestingly enough, means goat song.  The Roman letter A comes from the Hebrew letter aleph which, I think I read somewhere, comes from the word ox.  You can see the head when you turn it upside down- the horns pointing up to heaven.  The French word chevre, means goat.  And, of course, our very faith is full of shepherding references- Christ the Good Shepherd. 

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Tragos + oidos. Goatsong or satyrsong. Wow that's a really poignant addition to the topic, Gabriel.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:

Indeed.  :(

Kyrie eleison.

(My username refers to one of the principle villains in a film which was precisely about the destruction of humanity; when it comes to Alphaville, I actually in viewing it take the side of the hero, Lemmy Caution, who destroys Alpha 60 and restores humanity to the daughter of Alpha 60's inventor, Dr. Leonard Nosferatu, aka Leonard von Braun, through love, sentiment and poetry)

Apostolos

High Elder
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Tragos + oidos. Goatsong or satyrsong. Wow that's a really poignant addition to the topic, Gabriel.
Well, tragedy started at archaic Dionysian cult festivals, as the people participated in contests of dancing and singing, and the winner received a billy-goat as prize: τράγος (billy-goat) + ᾠδή (ode, song) = τραγῳδία (tragedy).
In modern Greek, song is τραγούδι /traˈɣuði/ (neut.) which comes from the Byzantine neuter diminutive τραγῴδιον /tra.ˈgo: di.on/ (secular song) which in early modern Greek becomes τραγούδιν /tra.ˈɣu.ðin/.
So, modern Greeks are still goat-singing.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And here's a modern musical take on Irish sheep callings.