• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Greek – Americans will conduct mass at Agia Sophia

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Members of the “International Congregation of Agia Sophia” will make a pilgrimage to Agia Sofia in Istanbul in order to conduct mass on September 17, the day the Orthodox Church celebrates the holy feast day of Sophia, Faith, Hope and Love.
During a press conference in Thessaloniki, the President of the International Congregation, Chris Spirou, said that the Prime Minister of Turkey, Tayyip Erdoğan, has already been informed in writing.
“The purpose of our Congregation’s visit is to conduct Holy Liturgy Services in the the Great Church of Christianity, the Symbol of the Orthodox Christian Faith”, was written in the letter. After he was asked, whether the Greek Department of Foreign Affairs has been notified about this, Mr. Spirou said that it isn’t a political issue and that “no government has the right to interfere with religion and to appoint religious leaders”.
The “International Congregation of Agia Sophia” was founded in 2005 and is a USA-based non-profit organization. Its purpose is to restore the Agia Sophia as a place of worship. The organisation’s thousands of members worldwide include followers of other religions and denominations.
source

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Reaction score
Russian bishops have, rather cheekily, conducted services there in recent years but they have the might of the Russian State to protect them

See message 66
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,23401.msg389975.html#msg389975

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Members of the “International Congregation of Agia Sophia” will make a pilgrimage to Agia Sofia in Istanbul in order to conduct mass on September 17, the day the Orthodox Church celebrates the holy feast day of Sophia, Faith, Hope and Love.
Don't even know that Aghia Sophia is dedicated to Christ (1 Corinthians 1:24, 30), not the Martyr Sophia and her children?

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Reaction score
ialmisry said:
Don't even know that Aghia Sophia is dedicated to Christ (1 Corinthians 1:24, 30), not the Martyr Sophia and her children?
Good point.  Makes you wonder how serious and how knowledgeable this "International Congregation" is.

username!

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Where Iron hydrochloride ruins watersheds
So a group that promotes the restoration of the agia Sophia to a church doesn't even know who the church is dedicated to...even Wikipedia can tell you that.  If a group claims to have written permission from the Turkish prime minister that would seemingly demonstrate some for
Of intelligence on the groups membership. The thing is if you can be smart enough to go through an international process to obtain a supposed permit from a head of state then you'd think the group membership would be smart enough to Wikipedia and learn who the church is dedicated to. 

Orthodox11

Archon
Reaction score
username! said:
If a group claims to have written permission from the Turkish prime minister that would seemingly demonstrate some for
The article says they had written to inform the prime minister. It didn't say what his reply had been.

Who is the priest who is going with them to celebrate the Liturgy? I can't imagine any priest belonging to the Ecumenical Patriarchate would be permitted to do something like this.

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
ialmisry said:
That was the first thing I thought when I read the article...

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOA - Metropolis of Denver
I always thought it was simply "Holy Wisdom" and not dedicated to any particular Saint.

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
Dedicated to the Wisdom of God, Sophia, which is Jesus Christ.

Not to be confused with the goddess Sophia, "resurrected" and adored by Neo-Gnostics.

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Reaction score
Liturgy at Hagia Sophia on Sept. 17, 2010

By Kleo Mavridis

Members of the "International Congregation of Agia Sophia" will make a
pilgrimage to Agia Sofia in Istanbul in order to conduct divine liturgy on
September 17, the day the Orthodox Church celebrates the holy feast day of
Sophia, Faith, Hope and Love.

http://usa.greekreporter.com/2010/05/07/greek-americans-will-conduct-mass-at-agia-sophia-on-september-17-2010/

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
It's old.

They won't succeed.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
God help them, but how do they plan on getting past the ticket line?

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
I've merged two topics concerning the same issue.

FatherHLL

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Nea Roma
88Devin12 said:
I always thought it was simply "Holy Wisdom" and not dedicated to any particular Saint.
"...Wisdom, Word, and Power of God, grant that we may more perfectly partake of Thee, in the neverending day of Thy Kingdom."  (Hymns of the Resurrection;  read by deacon following communion).  It is dedicated to Christ the Wisdom of God. 

FatherHLL

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Nea Roma
Orthodox11 said:
username! said:
If a group claims to have written permission from the Turkish prime minister that would seemingly demonstrate some for
The article says they had written to inform the prime minister. It didn't say what his reply had been.
Who is the priest who is going with them to celebrate the Liturgy? I can't imagine any priest belonging to the Ecumenical Patriarchate would be permitted to do something like this.
Good question. 

observer

High Elder
Reaction score
These Greeks are arrogant. As they say in subtitles for Chinese movies - dream on!

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Reaction score
observer said:
These Greeks are arrogant. As they say in subtitles for Chinese movies - dream on!
There have been two instances in recent years when Russian bishops have been in Istanbul for pan-Orthodox events.  While there they have taken the opportunity to walk into Hagia Sophia, put on vestments and celebrate Requiem services for the deceased Patriarchs of the city.

You can only imagine the poor Turkish Police and the museum authorities who would have stood there disbelieving and openmouthed.  No doubt they would have rushed to the telephone to ask what to do and were probably told it is better to let the Russians go ahead rather than to risk the international bad press and adverse diplomatic repercussions from Russia if they closed the services down and arrested the Russian bishops. 

How wonderful it would have been to be there and to hear the singing of Christian prayer reverberating in the dome of Hagia Sophia, with the strength and the beauty of Russian male voices raised in worship of the Trinity.

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Reaction score
ialmisry said:
That's pretty ignorant.

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Reaction score
88Devin12 said:
Christ is Holy Wisdom. There is a tradition of interpreting Christ as Sophia.

Shanghaiski

Merarches
Reaction score
According to legend, when liturgy is celebrated there, the priest and a couple others that were there in 1453 are supposed to come out of the walls and complete the liturgy the Mohammedans interrupted.

Melodist

Archon
Reaction score
Shanghaiski said:
According to legend, when liturgy is celebrated there, the priest and a couple others that were there in 1453 are supposed to come out of the walls and complete the liturgy the Mohammedans interrupted.
I suppose it might depend on who is celebrating the liturgy.

The organisation’s thousands of members worldwide include followers of other religions and denominations.

Shanghaiski

Merarches
Reaction score
Melodist said:
Shanghaiski said:
I suppose it might depend on who is celebrating the liturgy.

The organisation’s thousands of members worldwide include followers of other religions and denominations.
Aha!

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Irish Hermit said:
How wonderful it would have been to be there and to hear the singing of Christian prayer reverberating in the dome of Hagia Sophia, with the strength and the beauty of Russian male voices raised in worship of the Trinity. 
I still consider as one of the most awe inspiring experiences of my life standing in a portico at Agia Sophia singing the Apolytikion of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch
Shanghaiski said:
The last liturgy in Aghia Sophia had the pope commemorated in the diptychs.
The Venetians received the communion alongside the Greeks.

ICXCNIKA

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Crimean Orthodox Church-MP
Just saw this so I thought I would share: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=no-tolerance-to-spirou-led-group-government-says-2010-09-16

The Turkish government has said in no uncertain terms that a group of nearly 200 people led by a Greek-American nongovernmental organization will not be allowed to conduct a religious service at Istanbul’s Hagia Sophia.

“A message was delivered to [event organizer] Chris Spirou that his attempts were seen as a provocation,” Turkish diplomatic sources told reporters Thursday. The sources did not disclose who gave the message to Spriou, a Greek and American citizen.

Edited because of the new policy - mike.

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of the South (OCA)
Couple of interesting tidbits from the Hurriyet article:

- "a very recent application from a Muslim group had also been refused due to the principle of keeping Hagia Sophia closed to worship."

- "The group led by Spirou, a former adviser to Serbian leader Slobodan Milosevic and the founder of the International Hagia Sophia Coalition, is planning to arrive in Istanbul on Saturday to conduct a religious service at the well-known building, which served as a church and a mosque before being secularized and opened as a museum in 1935."

Now, most of us who know the Turks would have predicted this outcome (I kept my mouth shut because of my hope that a miracle would occur and let this happen). On the other hand, I had no idea that Spirou was a former adviser to Milosovic, the former Serbian leader who had faced trial for crimes against humanity.

Shanghaiski

Merarches
Reaction score
Using the liturgy as a form of protest seems blasphemous. It's one thing if the liturgy is performed in a functioning church and it is interrupted. But, should it be begun at Hagia Sophia under its present circumstances and be interrupted, the ones at fault would be those who did the liturgy in the first place. It's just asking for trouble.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Shanghaiski said:
Using the liturgy as a form of protest seems blasphemous. It's one thing if the liturgy is performed in a functioning church and it is interrupted. But, should it be begun at Hagia Sophia under its present circumstances and be interrupted, the ones at fault would be those who did the liturgy in the first place. It's just asking for trouble.
I'd say that the liturgy was rather rudely interrupted when the Ottomans broke down the door and started slaughtering people inside.

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of New Jersey
Iconodule said:
Shanghaiski said:
I'd say that the liturgy was rather rudely interrupted when the Ottomans broke down the door and started slaughtering people inside.
Why do you want to keep reminding us of this fact?  Are you in Istanbul preparing to celebrate blasphemy?

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
SolEX01 said:
Iconodule said:
Shanghaiski said:
Why do you want to keep reminding us of this fact?
I don't remember mentioning it before...

Are you in Istanbul preparing to celebrate blasphemy?
Your concept of "blasphemy" is decidedly disproportionate.

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Iconodule said:
SolEX01 said:
Iconodule said:
Shanghaiski said:
Why do you want to keep reminding us of this fact?
I don't remember mentioning it before...
But 9/17/2010 was supposed to remind the world of what the Ottomans (and their successors) did on 5/29/1453 according to a former Greek-American NH politician and his organization that dared suggest performing a DL inside Hagia Sophia Museum.

Iconodule said:
Are you in Istanbul preparing to celebrate blasphemy?
Your concept of "blasphemy" is decidedly disproportionate.
So no Divine Liturgy, Mass or any religious service was performed inside Haghia Sophia Museum on 9/17/2010.  ;)  I'm happy that the Divine Liturgy was not blasphemed as one man's (or organization's) political stunt.  ;D

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
SolEX01 said:
So no Divine Liturgy, Mass or any religious service was performed inside Haghia Sophia Museum on 9/17/2010.   ;) 
I'm glad that the triumph of Islam over Christianity pleases you so much.

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Iconodule said:
SolEX01 said:
So no Divine Liturgy, Mass or any religious service was performed inside Haghia Sophia Museum on 9/17/2010.   ;)  
I'm glad that the triumph of Islam over Christianity pleases you so much.
I find a lot of activities pleasing like ... reading, traveling, tennis, watching the fall foliage, watching sham organizations led by individuals of dubious qualifications make fools of themselves, et al....

How can you conclude that the triumph of Islam over Christianity pleases me ... well, that is above my pay level.   ;)

The USA Greek Reporter does not mention the failed attempt of a religious service at Hagia Sophia Museum.

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
serb1389 said:
So...did this end up happening or not?
No.

http://www.worldbulletin.net/news_detail.php?id=63995

A group of 250 Greek-Americans who urged Turkish authorities to allow a religious service at the Aya-Sofya Museum in Istanbul --which has been closed to religious worship for 75 years-- decided not to go to Turkey.

In an act of gesture towards Orthodox Christians Turkey recently allowed an historic mass at the Sumela Monastery which was closed to worship for 88 years, which drew some 1,500 Orthodox Christians from Russian Federation, Greece, Georgia and the U.S. to Trabzon, and is getting ready to open the historic Armenian Church on the Akdamar island to religious worship for a single day, as a symbolic gesture to the Armenian community around the world.

Chris Spiru, head of the "International Congregation of Agia Sophia" and the leader of the group which has been waiting in Alexandroupoli to leave for Turkey early on Friday, told AA that they received a statement from Turkish authorities regarding their demand and actions as provocative.

Spiru who argued that their sole intention was to pray, said the statement was like a restriction of entry to Turkey. He said they changed their mind and decided not to go to Turkey upon this development.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Do you know has HAH issued any statement about them? Who would have celebrated the Liturgy?

Theophilos78

Archon
Reaction score
mike said:
Do you know has HAH issued any statement about them? Who would have celebrated the Liturgy?
I read in one of the newspapers that an authority from the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople rebuked the activity in almost same terms as the Turkish government. The fact that the EP seems pro-government and speaks in favor of the Neo-Ottomanism bothers me a lot though.  :(