• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Greek Archdiocese of Australia - Question

Menas17

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
From personal experience of visiting parishes in GOAAustralia I wanted to know why they seem more Orthodox than their counterparts in the U.S and Canada?

I have a great admiration for Archbishop Makarios and have great respect for him for what he is doing for the archdiocese (from what I have heard), including being outspoken about the abortion law in NSW. I would bet my money Archbishop Elpidophoros or Archbishop Sotirios would not do this.

So, why the big difference even though they are under the same patriarchate?

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
How is the abortion law different from other places?

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
From personal experience of visiting parishes in GOAAustralia I wanted to know why they seem more Orthodox than their counterparts in the U.S and Canada?

I have a great admiration for Archbishop Makarios and have great respect for him for what he is doing for the archdiocese (from what I have heard), including being outspoken about the abortion law in NSW. I would bet my money Archbishop Elpidophoros or Archbishop Sotirios would not do this.

So, why the big difference even though they are under the same patriarchate?
Its because freedom is valued in Orthodoxy and a decision made should always be done in freedom, even if it goes against christian morals. Do you believe god gave others the ability to restrain you in wanting to do something? anything?