• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Greek Orthodox Altarserver?

drewmeister2

Elder
Reaction score
In the Greek tradition, do altar servers wear some kind of riasa or some black clothing underneath the altar server vestment?

Brigidsboy

Elder
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Armenian Apostolic
Jurisdiction
Armenian Patriarchate of Jerusalem
No. The altar boys wear a sticharion, with an orarion if they have been ordained subdeacon.
Older boys and adult servers who have been tonsured wear a black cassock (anteri).

Michael

Reader and altar boy director

Beayf

High Elder
Reaction score
No. The altar boys wear a sticharion, with an orarion if they have been ordained subdeacon.
I know I've seen parades of 10-year-olds vested as subdeacons in Greek churches. Are they actually tonsured to the subdiaconate, or is the orarion just decorative?

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
yBeayf said:
I know I've seen parades of 10-year-olds vested as subdeacons in Greek churches. Are they actually tonsured to the subdiaconate, or is the orarion just decorative?
It's just decorative.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
No clue... the best thing I could guess is that, in the ancient practice, what we have "altar boys" or "altar servers" do was actually done by the slew of subdeacons.  There is no reason to wear the orarion for them, although the way they wear it is different from how the subdeacon and deacon wear it... Some churches don't have their kids wearing the orarion.  As far as the black riasa, it is theoretically only for the deacons, priests, and bishops, as it was the garment of clergy streetwear.. now they have seminarians and some tonsured readers wear it.  But the riasa (anderi as we say in greek) is not a liturgical garment.

Brigidsboy

Elder
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Armenian Apostolic
Jurisdiction
The last time the Metropolitan visited us, he tonsured all the new altar boys as readers. He then prayed over the ones who already were tonsured, and gave them the stoles to put on. I presume he mde them subdeacons. Can't figure what else it could have been.

It's just decorative.

Beayf

High Elder
Reaction score
I presume he mde them subdeacons. Can't figure what else it could have been.
Ah, so they've taken a vow of celibacy, then?

Brigidsboy

Elder
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Armenian Apostolic
Jurisdiction
Take it up with His Eminence. I only know what I have witnessed several times in my 18 years of directing altar boys in three parishes.