• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Greek Orthodox prayer book...in Greek

Reaction score
Surprisingly enough, the GOARCH app doesn’t contain the prayers in Greek, only in English, and I am trying to swap my entire prayer routine over to Greek as quickly as possible. Anyone have a link to a good parallel Greek/English prayer book? (Ideally electronic, so I can just copy and paste.)

Reaction score
Short answer: Because I want to, silly! 😆

Long answer: I am an aspiring polyglot (formerly a frustrated one, now meeting with some success). Native-born expert in English, two years in German in high school (still retaining quite a bit; Deutsch ist am besser); and I know a good bit of Japanese, hard way first (reading and writing first, the AJATT method).

And, of course, living in Atlanta, one encounters quite a bit of Spanish (both of my kids got top marks in their high and middle school classes, too).

Koine Greek was always in my sights, from the moment I started picking up words in the original languages, but it never seemed a real possibility until Orthodoxy ‘clicked’ for me, and when it did, and meeting my parish priest (native-born Greek Orthodox) was a natural and supernatural success, ancient and modern Greek were clearly the next languages.

(Hebrew was a possibility, until I found out about the Masoretic Text and saw far too many people of faith getting sucked into the seductive orbit of Rabbinic Judaism. Once I found out that the Church basically started out all-Greek from the get-go, Greek was the natural target.)

Having a church full of modern Greek experts and several Ancient Greek experts at one’s disposal is quite handy while simultaneously learning to soak up a different spiritual paradigm, and given that the services are roughly 50-50 Greek-English, I get plenty of sightreading practice every week. The font used in the church’s printed material is a decorative serif font that frequently trips me up, so it keeps me engaged during Liturgy.

My next target is Old Church Slavonic/Russian (recognizing Cyrillic was a side hobby before, anyway, due to a Russian acquaintance, but I had no spiritual motivation for it—reading Mumiy Troll lyrics really isn’t necessary for a serious Christian 😂.)

As I already know many of the prayers in Greek, it is time to begin swapping those out for Old Church Slavonic, so I can begin accustoming my eyes to parse the new characters, and my mouth to pronounce, the prayers that way.

It’s just a fun thing I do. I mean, you’re going to pray anyway, why not use it as a language-learning time as well?

It also keeps my mind engaged in the prayers while I am praying, instead of wandering off in space somewhere (the mind-in-the-nous thing is very new to me, being that Protestants have a different, all-intellectual, head-first, take on human composition, and I am still not good at it).

In any case, I just remembered I have a trilingual English-OCS-Japanese copy of the Divine Liturgy on my computer I can copy-and-paste stuff from, so I’ll go do something more useful before anyone
I’m bragging and not just a silly nerd with a lot of time on his hands. 😂 Peace.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
seeker_has_awakened:

Lately, you have been asking a lot of questions and seem to be going in a million different directions. My limited impression just be reading your posts is that you seem to be tied up tightly in a knot. Learning Greek is good and fine. Just don't get going in so many directions that you burn out early.

Reaction score
seeker_has_awakened:

Lately, you have been asking a lot of questions and seem to be going in a million different directions. My limited impression just be reading your posts is that you seem to be tied up tightly in a knot. Learning Greek is good and fine. Just don't get going in so many directions that you burn out early.
A valid concern, and I appreciate your saying so! Thanks.

Reaction score
I quit, but I'm back.

Thank you, I really like this one. Having an issue with the encoding on the Greek, so I can't copy and paste, but I think I can fix it.

Daily Prayer for Orthodox Christians, by Fr. M. Vaporis, is available in hard copy, but uses modern Greek.
Interesting possibility, thanks.

The Orthodox Prayer app is useful, as you can bookmark your choice of prayers in both languages and flip back and forth between them, but it does have its limitations.
Thanks, I have found at least one limitation: I found the iOS version, but since I can't fully read Greek yet, I can't do a 1:1 mapping between the English and Greek prayers. I'll see if I can fix it later. (If anyone is interested in helping with this, let me know.)

Reaction score
seeker_has_awakened:

I'm going to say this one time, and very gently, not as an attack on you, but as a general announcement: you really don't know me, and I don't burn out easily.

I posted an 'about me' page in my signature and on my profile if you are interested in more about me.