• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Green Lamps?

gueranger

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Roman Catholic
During the Divine Liturgy the altar boys sometimes process with or stand around the Gospel book while holding candles or oil lamps on a long metal holder, that have green lamps. I was wondering if those have a name or represent anything specific. Is there a reason they are green instead of another color?

I have seen these in multiple Orthodox churches, so I know it is not just one parish that uses them.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
It's because someone who like the color green, bought them and gifted them to the church.

;)

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
LizaSymonenko said:
It's because someone who like the color green, bought them and gifted them to the church.

;)
Red or blue ones are more common, but green sounds cool too. :)

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
It could be that they have green for no particular reason, but it is also possible that the church is dedicated in some way to the Holy Spirit, in which case the green would be representative of Him. Take, for example, the green iconostasis (which honestly looks like a baroque reredos) of the Church of the Holy Spirit in Vilnius.

gueranger

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Roman Catholic
lol. Okay, thanks for the replies! I think someone in my area really likes green lamps.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
gueranger said:
lol. Okay, thanks for the replies! I think someone in my area really likes green lamps.
Another possibility is that it's seasonal: Pentecost was only about two months ago. 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Faith
Episcopal
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Florida
Antonis said:
It could be that they have green for no particular reason, but it is also possible that the church is dedicated in some way to the Holy Spirit, in which case the green would be representative of Him. Take, for example, the green iconostasis (which honestly looks like a baroque reredos) of the Church of the Holy Spirit in Vilnius.

That's what I was thinking. Nice picture, too. :)

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
biro said:
Antonis said:

That's what I was thinking. Nice picture, too. :)
Glorious! Fantastic! Awesome!

Way to go!

frjohnmorris

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
gueranger said:
Another possibility is that it's seasonal: Pentecost was only about two months ago. 
In Antiochan tradition, we wear green vestments during July because of Pentecost.  My sacristan changes all the lamps and votive lights on the candle stands on the Holy Table to green. Next week, he will change them to blue for the fast of the Theotokos.

Fr. John W. Morris.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
frjohnmorris said:
Mor Ephrem said:
gueranger said:
In Antiochan tradition, we wear green vestments during July because of Pentecost.  My sacristan changes all the lamps and votive lights on the candle stands on the Holy Table to green. Next week, he will change them to blue for the fast of the Theotokos.

Fr. John W. Morris.
I love this kind of attention to detail.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Antonis said:
frjohnmorris said:
Mor Ephrem said:
gueranger said:

Fr. John W. Morris.
+1

When deacons are ordained priests in our tradition, the bishop reads a long exhortation which includes, among many other things, the instruction to make sure that the altar cloths, candles, and other altar furnishings are neat, tidy, straight, etc., precisely because lack of attention to those details indicates a lack of faith on the part of the priest. 

frjohnmorris

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Antonis said:
frjohnmorris said:
Mor Ephrem said:
gueranger said:

Fr. John W. Morris.
When I was in seminary at Holy Cross, they even changed the curtain before the Holy Doors to the color of the season.

Fr. John.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
frjohnmorris said:
Antonis said:
frjohnmorris said:
Mor Ephrem said:
gueranger said:

Fr. John W. Morris.
When I was in seminary at Holy Cross, they even changed the curtain before the Holy Doors to the color of the season.

Fr. John.
This is normal in Russian tradition.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
frjohnmorris said:
Antonis said:
frjohnmorris said:
Mor Ephrem said:
gueranger said:

Fr. John W. Morris.

Fr. John.
I too love this attention to detail. The changing of the color of the candle holders and vestments helps us to be attentive.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Mor Ephrem said:
Antonis said:
frjohnmorris said:
Mor Ephrem said:
gueranger said:

Fr. John W. Morris.
+1

When deacons are ordained priests in our tradition, the bishop reads a long exhortation which includes, among many other things, the instruction to make sure that the altar cloths, candles, and other altar furnishings are neat, tidy, straight, etc., precisely because lack of attention to those details indicates a lack of faith on the part of the priest. 
Sanctify those who love the beauty of Your house.