• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Growth of the WR?

Mercurius1

Reaction score
As a former Roman Catholic I’m really curious about the WR and it’s future

1) Is the WR just a niche market, or, is it growing and being actively promoted?

2) Will there ever be a unified WR Liturgy? I find it interesting that one of the liturgies that’s used is essentially an Anglican liturgy

3) Are there any post-Schism practices that the WR keeps?

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
The WR ... It's Western Orthodox Mass. If you can adopt the WR, you might as well be Catholic.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Mercurius1 said:

1) Is the WR just a niche market, or, is it growing and being actively promoted?
Yes to both.

2) Will there ever be a unified WR Liturgy? I find it interesting that one of the liturgies that’s used is essentially an Anglican liturgy
I think that many WR would say there's no need for a "unified" liturgy  when that wasn't historically the case. I don't think, however, that means that any surviving liturgical scrap should be put in use (after all, some of the English uses are only barely different), and there is a need for unified ruberics for each liturgy in use, and because of the WR's small size it seems nuts for there to be loads of liturgies in use.

The Antiochian answer to that is to only allow liturgies with connection to a lived tradition, IOW keeping the good and laundering the questionable for people who have actual memory of the rites in question.

Oh boy, this discussion. The short answer is yes, in some places. But someone who is actually part of one of those churches will be able to answer those better.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I think the Western Rite church in Ft. Worth was converted from an Anglican parish...

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Mercurius1 said:

Maybe you should explain the Anglican liturgy