• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

H.H. Mor Ignatius Zakka I Iwas on Unity

qawe

High Elder
Reaction score
"The unity of Christianity can only happen in and around Christ, who is the head of the Church and we with all our doctrines are only parts of the holy body of Christ."

Source: orthodoxjointcommission.wordpress.com/2014/06/27/h-h-mor-ignatius-zakka-i-iwas-on-unity/

Are these sorts of idea generally accepted in the Syriac church? What were the reactions/interpretations when HH made that comment?

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I'd like to know more about this quote.  Taken at face value its obviously wrong, but I'd like to give His Holiness of Thrice-Blessed memory the benefit of the doubt.

qawe

High Elder
Reaction score
Father Peter said:
If he is speaking about unity within fractured Orthodoxy then he is right.
Agreed Father, but that is not at all clear from the context presented on the Orthodox Unity website. I find it inappropriate that they are using an (potentially) erroneous quotation to advance their worthy cause.

qawe

High Elder
Reaction score
Can any Syriac comment further?

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I would venture and say that Unity is based on being in Communion and the Eucharist

qawe

High Elder
Reaction score
Severian said:
Where can I access the full speech?
http://syriacchristianity.info/PZakka/ShortHisIslam.htm

Severian

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
wgw said:
I can affirm that as a Syriac Orthodox I am entirely happy with what HH said.  Actually the late Patriarch played a huge role in my conversion with some of his remarks.
Good grief, no. The Romanists, Nestorians (ACotE) and Protestants are absolutely not a part of the body of Christ.

Also, you seem to change jurisdictions fairly often. You were Coptic about a month ago.