• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Halloween Poll

How do you feel about Halloween?

• I will be going to Church on Halloween

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Not participating

Votes: 22 40.7%
  • I will dress up and/or give out candy

Votes: 28 51.9%

• Total voters

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Some Orthodox say Halloween is disrespectful to the dead.

How say you?

Crucifer

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.uscj.org
I have to go to work at 7p, so I'm not participating. Usually I sit on my front porch with a bucket of candy and see the kids in their costumes.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I live in the hood. Black people have tended to have a general antithesis to Halloween in my experience, so nothing happens.

Which is fine by me. Some the college students might have a party. I hope it keeps raining so they must stay inside.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
it's raining on the parade here, but, after work, i will go out for drinks with some friends.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I popped by where the Mrs. works.  They had a little potluck and most workers dress up in a Halloween costume.  We will be handing out candy this evening.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
these days things such as "halloween the demons' holiday" have popped up in my fb feed from some pious friends of mine. in romanian nonetheless  ::)

xOrthodox4Christx

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I have no choice. My parents are out and can't do it themselves. Plus, I like seeing the youngsters.  ;D

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
these days things such as "halloween the demons' holiday" have popped up in my fb feed from some pious friends of mine. in romanian nonetheless  ::)
Said here before, but when I was in central Europe Halloween was getting traction as a mini Carnival, Fasching, whatever.

That was alright.

American adults just don't know how to have a good time.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
well, i agree that in places like romania celebrating halloween is stilted and awkward as it's not part of the local lore. and critiquing it in this vein, it's perfectly sane.
but orthodox publications running articles like "the feast of demons etc" is insane and witness to a fundamentalization of a segment of  orthodoxy that looks as bizarre as baptist fundamentalism

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
well, i agree that in places like romania celebrating halloween is stilted and awkward as it's not part of the local lore. and critiquing it in this vein, it's perfectly sane.
Criticizing for it being alien to local culture is sane. Criticizing it is some demon worship is insane.

Reaction score
When it's just kiddies in costumes having fun and getting candy, I see nothing wrong with it at all.  When teens and tweens start turning it into a very dark thing, focusing on skulls and death and demons and gore, and it becomes part of the 'culture of death' (which I don't think is the least bit limited to the abortion issue), then I have a problem with it.  The smaller kids just want to be pirates and princesses, and do the whole 'trick or treat' thing.  Fun is fun.  

I won't be participating, but only because I'm way too old for knocking on doors asking strangers for candy, and though I'll be home, my door is on the back of my apartment building.  There's a flood light out there, but I've been here for three years and the kids just don't knock on my door.  I don't think I would either--walking up a dark driveway and not even knowing there's a door back there.  This building has only three apartments in it, but from the road, it looks like a regular house.  No, they don't come around back.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
newtoorthodoxy said:
When teens and tweens start turning it into a very dark thing, focusing on skulls and death and demons and gore
What percentage of teens that celebrate Halloween do you think do that sort of thing?

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder precisely which aspect of Halloween could be disrespectful to the dead. ::)

Over here, there's not much trick-or-treating. I took the young one to a single house, where he has a standing invitation. It's all about fancy dress parties, movie spookathons and jack-o-lanterns.

Rufus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
but orthodox publications running articles like "the feast of demons etc" is insane and witness to a fundamentalization of a segment of  orthodoxy that looks as bizarre as baptist fundamentalism
Just saw this on Facebook...
http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/sent-into-the-harvest-halloween-on-mission

First I cried for a few minutes. Then I saw this line:
Just when the devil has a good head of steam, God, like a skilled ninja, uses the adversary’s body weight against him.
and now I can't stop laughing.

Who needs television?

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
In Mexican culture, some of us celebrate the Day of the Dead on Halloween, which is basically just American Halloween but with more alcohol and some really watered-down Roman Catholic elements about praying for the departed and honoring them through glorifying them or something through skulls and skeletons or some crap. It's always fun seeing adults get drunk and make fools of themselves :)

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
JamesR said:
In Mexican culture, some of us celebrate the Day of the Dead on Halloween, which is basically just American Halloween but with more alcohol and some really watered-down Roman Catholic elements about praying for the departed and honoring them through glorifying them or something through skulls and skeletons or some crap. It's always fun seeing adults get drunk and make fools of themselves :)
You don't do that on 2 November? 

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Nothing non-Orthodox as I can see. Maybe unless the fact only adults get drunk.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
JamesR said:
You don't do that on 2 November? 
It can happen anytime between the 31st to the 2nd of November. My family always did it on the 31st in conjunction with Halloween; can't speak for others.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Michał Kalina said:
JamesR said:
Nothing non-Orthodox as I can see. Maybe unless the fact only adults get drunk.
:)

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
JamesR said:
It can happen anytime between the 31st to the 2nd of November. My family always did it on the 31st in conjunction with Halloween; can't speak for others.
Thanks, I didn't know that.  In NY, all the Mexicans I knew observed it on 2 Nov.  I love these days...

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Pagan Polish-Belarusian feast of the dead. Taking place like now.

Not to mention St. Demetrius Saturday that takes place like now too.

Hawkeye

Hyperprōtopansebastohalieus
Reaction score
I went to my college history class dressed up as a stereotypical Russian gangster, complete with an overly-expensive tracksuit, gold chains, and a near-shaved head.

There was a contest and it seems I won "most scariest."

That's pretty much extent of my planned Halloween activities.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Hawkeye said:
I went to my college history class dressed up as a stereotypical Russian gangster, complete with an overly-expensive tracksuit, gold chains, and a near-shaved head.
My passport picture portrays me as typical Russian gangster from American films.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Michał Kalina said:
I mean this time of the year attracts feasts of the dead in various cultures.
That's true enough, there's definitely an appeal, possibly linked to the lengthening nights in the Northern hemisphere.  

After the Portuguese arrived in India, due to RC influence, All Saints and All Souls (1 and 2 Nov) were adopted by the Orthodox in some places, even if we have our own equivalents toward the end of winter and the beginning of spring (before Great Lent).  To this day, they're listed in some calendars as local feasts observed in some churches or towns, usually on the old calendar date, although they're by no means popular.    

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Michał Kalina said:
I mean this time of the year attracts feasts of the dead in various cultures.
That's true enough, there's definitely an appeal, possibly linked to the lengthening nights in the Northern hemisphere. 

After the Portuguese arrived in India, due to RC influence, All Saints and All Souls (1 and 2 Nov) were adopted by the Orthodox in some places, even if we have our own equivalents toward the end of winter and the beginning of spring (before Great Lent).  To this day, they're listed in some calendars as local feasts observed in some churches or towns, usually on the old calendar date, although they're by no means popular.   
Actually Orthodox here do that too since the Nov 1 is the commemorating day in Poland.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Michał Kalina said:
Actually Orthodox here do that too since the Nov 1 is the commemorating day in Poland.
This is a yearly commemoration for the Orthodox in Poland?  If so, that's cool and understandable. 
It is a work-free day. It is a day when 95% of Poles visit graves.

I think it means as "yes".

eyesmile

Reaction score
newtoorthodoxy said:
When it's just kiddies in costumes having fun and getting candy, I see nothing wrong with it at all.  When teens and tweens start turning it into a very dark thing, focusing on skulls and death and demons and gore, and it becomes part of the 'culture of death' (which I don't think is the least bit limited to the abortion issue), then I have a problem with it.  The smaller kids just want to be pirates and princesses, and do the whole 'trick or treat' thing.  Fun is fun.  
I agree with you.

Romaios

Archon
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Michał Kalina said:
This is a yearly commemoration for the Orthodox in Poland?  If so, that's cool and understandable. 
Most Orthodox in Western Romania (well, in my hometown at any rate) would also visit the cemeteries on this day. It's much more popular than the days set apart for the commemoration of the departed in the Orthodox calendar.

At night the whole graveyard lights up.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Romaios said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Michał Kalina said:
Most Orthodox in Western Romania (well, in my hometown at any rate) would also visit the cemeteries on this day. It's much more popular than the days set apart for the commemoration of the departed in the Orthodox calendar.

This.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Michał Kalina said:
Romaios said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Michał Kalina said:

This.
I'd love to visit sometime, your countries sound like fun.