• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Happy 20th Birthday, OCnet!

Anastasios

Merarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasioshudson.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Old Calendarist
So, 20 years ago Robert and I were sitting in a car and he told me, "I was talking to @Mor Ephrem and we thought it would be cool to make a forum for Orthodox discussion." I was like, "yeah let's do it!" and that's how we started the first incarnation of this site, byzantines.org. Originally, a lot of us posted on Byzantine Catholic sites to discuss Catholic-Orthodox issues, hence the original name of the site.

A few months later, the site database got hosed up and we came back rebranded as OrthodoxChristianity.net, the site you've loved for 20 years :)

Thanks, everyone!

Anastasios

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
That was well before all the social media stuff.... There were no Facebook Groups. No Instagram. Even cellphones were not common.

I remember coming here and being amazed at being able to find out more about the Faith.

I used to actually print things off so I could share them, or read them at leisure.

How times have changed.... sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad.

May the Lord bless the Forum, and the Forum members, with wisdom, longevity, and means to spread the Faith to the world.

Mnohaya Lita!

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Here's to surviving social media!
English-language Facebook only caught up with the forum on housing discussions on Orthodoxy some time between 2016 and 2018. It killed off every independent platform but OCnet, and outside here only r/OrthodoxChristianity and The Ancient Way were left. We even got reformed!

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch but secret ROCOR
I'm glad I just talked to a priest in real life before I found out about the forum. That seems to be recurring advice here, which is good.

Passepartout

Memorial Day 2022
Reaction score
Faith
Southern Baptist
Jurisdiction
Southern Baptist
Hope it was a great birthday. With lots of presents and cake. God bless you. Turned twenty in 1994. Shows you all I am old LOL!

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
So I'm registered in half of the OC.net's life, but I had been lurking into before (I don't remember exactly from when, I suppose around 2009).
So one year more and OC.net is allowed to celebrate its birtdahy and every feast by monastery wine even in US ;)

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
English-language Facebook only caught up with the forum on housing discussions on Orthodoxy some time between 2016 and 2018. It killed off every independent platform but OCnet, and outside here only r/OrthodoxChristianity and The Ancient Way were left. We even got reformed!
I'm both surprised and not surprised that TAW has also survived.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Why not surprised?
I was never a regular participant there (really, all my eggs were in the OC.net basket pre-FB), but I'd go over and look in occasionally as a curiosity, and ISTM (and maybe this was because I wasn't deeply engaged in the forum) that the sense of community was strong. While I believe we had every right to feel that our setup was better here, our forum became too big (especially after the CAF exodus) to have the same tight-knit community feel.

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
a smoking flax He won't quench
Jurisdiction
World
Many years!

JTLoganville

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox
Chronia polla!

I did not begin to "lurk" here until about a decade ago.