• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Happy Michaelmas!

Amatorus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Today is the feast of the Archangel Michael....in the Western world as far as I know. Apparently it used to be a popular medieval holiday.

Why did so many Christian holidays go out of style and into obscurity? Was it the "Enlightenment"?

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
The Orthodox feast of Archangel Michael and all the bodiless powers is on November 8, and is by no means obscure.  :)

MalpanaGiwargis

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ACROD
Amatorus said:
Today is the feast of the Archangel Michael....in the Western world as far as I know. Apparently it used to be a popular medieval holiday.

Why did so many Christian holidays go out of style and into obscurity? Was it the "Enlightenment"?
The Enlightenment and the Reformation; most Protestant bodies adopted a much leaner liturgical calendar, with some throwing out a calendar altogether. If you reject the veneration of saints as idolatry, there's not a lot of room for such feasts. Heck, in my hometown, there are multiple churches that preach that Christmas and Easter are Satanic innovations!

JTLoganville

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox
The Festival of St. Michael and All Angels is kept this day on the calendars of the Lutheran and Anglican churches. 

In 1978 the Lutheran Book of Worship rubrics provided for this Festival taking precedance over a Sunday in Ordinary Time, allowing the average congregation (without daily services) to gain familiarity with the feast.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Faith
Episcopal
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Florida
LBK said:
The Orthodox feast of Archangel Michael and all the bodiless powers is on November 8, and is by no means obscure.  :)
Hooray! One of my favorite feasts of the year. :)

Amatorus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
MalpanaGiwargis said:
Amatorus said:

The Enlightenment and the Reformation; most Protestant bodies adopted a much leaner liturgical calendar, with some throwing out a calendar altogether. If you reject the veneration of saints as idolatry, there's not a lot of room for such feasts. Heck, in my hometown, there are multiple churches that preach that Christmas and Easter are Satanic innovations!
I guess they hate fun.

Indocern

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Happy council of st. Archangel Michael!

IoanC

Archon
Reaction score
Big day in Romania. Lots of people named after Michael and Gabriel.