• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Harry Potter and Twilight and

Eamonomae

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction
Constantine's Lost Rome
No, in Tolkien's case the only real magicians are people like Melkor, Sauron or Saruman. Magic is painted in a very Christian light when refered to these people, as a corruption of Metaphysics according to the will of fallen beings. In the case of Saruman you even get the edge of modern technology involved. Whereas wizards like Gandalf or the Istari in general are essentially priests, sending light and exorcising even, as with Theoden. Same goes for Narnia.
You’ve not only misinterpreted these books, but you’ve unintentionally but unironically made an argument these books are more “occult” than they actually are.

You’re incorrect though. Gandalf and the Istari are allegorical angels.

https://lotr.fandom.com/wiki/Maiar said:
The Maiar (singular Maia) were primordial spiritscreated to help the Valar first shape the World. They were numerous, though not many were named. Their chiefs were Eönwë, banner-bearer and herald of Manwë, and Ilmarë, the handmaid of Varda.[1]

Five of these spirits, in the Third Age, became the incarnated Wizards.
Tolkien was very Thomistic in crafting his cosmology - he made sure that the Wizards had their own essential nature with their own essential properties, such that it wasn’t something a normal “human” (their standins) was capable of learning. That’s very different from various “occultic” systems (hence the term “occult” - oculus - perceiving hidden things), some of which who will go so far as to claim that angels and demons are “ascended beings” that you can become one day.

Last edited:

Katechon

High Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROC-MP
You’ve not only misinterpreted these books, but you’ve unintentionally but unironically made an argument these books are more “occult” than they actually are. It’s like you brought us to a tree to show us the bark, but you don’t see you’ve brought us to a tree.

You’re incorrect though. Gandalf and the Istari are allegorical angels.
Wow, you are so enlightened with all that esoteric knowledge you read from the likes of Eliphas Levi. How could someone uninitiated even grasp the heights of your understanding?

Eamonomae

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction
Constantine's Lost Rome
Wow, you are so enlightened with all that esoteric knowledge you read from the likes of Eliphas Levi. How could someone uninitiated even grasp the heights of your understanding?
I’m not “initiated”? And what does Eliphas Levi have to do with this?

I also haven’t read any of Eliphas Levi’s works besides his commentary on the Book of Revelation. I did foolishly recommend it at one point because I thought it was insightful to the extent that he roots it in a cosmology that was more accurate to Christians during that time period, but I agree looking back that was imprudent, considering not only his affiliations with the occult, but also the fact he was a very nonsensical and contradictory figure.

I don’t practice “the occult”(or any esoteric system).

Eamonomae

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction
Constantine's Lost Rome
Also, this response was incredibly juvenile and petty.

Eamonomae

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction
Constantine's Lost Rome
But maybe you’re right - I’ll step out of this conversation. Probably not my place to talk.

Eamonomae

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction
Constantine's Lost Rome
Actually I’ll say one more thing - based on your tone, demeanor, form of apologia, you strike me Katechon as the kind of dude who listens to Jay Dyer. If you are of the belief that a person’s sins informs the validity of their discussions, I would thus inquire into Dyer’s background diligently. Ironically enough the Dimond Brothers made a good documentary showcasing what I mean (including his practice of Neopaganism among other things)

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Actually I’ll say one more thing - based on your tone, demeanor, form of apologia, you strike me Katechon as the kind of dude who listens to Jay Dyer.
Over a decade in netodoxy, and still when I hear Dyer I think Wayne, not Jay. My brain has probably decided where the greater value is.

Katechon

High Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROC-MP
Actually I’ll say one more thing - based on your tone, demeanor, form of apologia, you strike me Katechon as the kind of dude who listens to Jay Dyer. If you are of the belief that a person’s sins informs the validity of their discussions, I would thus inquire into Dyer’s background diligently. Ironically enough the Dimond Brothers made a good documentary showcasing what I mean (including his practice of Neopaganism among other things)
Nice strawman you got there. If you posture in other threads with your occult knowledge and exhibit your involvement with the occult here - like you did in wiseguying symbolism - I will call you out on it. It does not help your case that you cloak your maliciousness with sensitivity, as you continue to do in slandering people.

Eamonomae

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction
Constantine's Lost Rome
Nice strawman you got there. If you posture in other threads with your occult knowledge and exhibit your involvement with the occult here - like you did in wiseguying symbolism - I will call you out on it. It does not help your case that you cloak your maliciousness with sensitivity, as you continue to do in slandering people.
I’m not slandering anybody. Jay Dyer went through a phase of Neopaganism and still has some friends in those movements. I encourage you to watch the Dimond Brothers video on him.
He clearly has knowledge to some extent given his discussion on such topics:
As for “wiseguying”, I modified my post before you even posted it.
How am I malicious?

Eamonomae

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction
Constantine's Lost Rome
Question: how does Jay Dyer know so much about esoteric systems to talk about them? He must’ve looked into them to some extent.

SRG

Reaction score
Faith
Catholic
Jurisdiction
Roman

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, where is that image from?
2012 Comic-Con. Part of a Jack Chick tract parody to promote a film entitled "Ivy League Exorcist" which in turn was about an exorcism performed by Bobby Jindal (potential presidential candidate) at an Ivy League school.

Reactions: SRG

Sethrak

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Armenian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Etchmiadzin, Armenia
I asked my cousin if she thought the movies, books of Harry Potter stories were bad: Yes she said there is witch craft . Well I enjoyed them watched them over and over years back. Book burning is a little tacky, so was burning witches ...I don't think the books or movies will cause any problem to Christians or is against Our Lord in any way nor would he dislike our watching these movies ...