Harry Potter V reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
The enlarging of the Weasleys is indeed a good part of the book, David, and not just for Fred and George. The parents dealing with Percy's cutting himself off from the rest of the family is well depicted and Mrs. Weasley's greatest fear is Real. It's a 2 parent family with 7 children who love each other. What a revolutionary idea.

The beaurocracy of the Ministry of Magic and the machinations seem to show that Rowling has a good handle on the temptations that power and its abuses have on the banal level, not just the Great Evil of Voldamort.

Ebor

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Hypo-Ortho, I heard from a friend that HP V has been released as a book on tape/CD. Perhaps you could "read" it that way, if you can get it from the library.

Ebor

H

Hypo-Ortho

Ebor said:
Hypo-Ortho, I heard from a friend that HP V has been released as a book on tape/CD. Perhaps you could "read" it that way, if you can get it from the library.

Ebor
Woo, woo! ;D I am an undisguised HP fan, Ebor. I'll check it out. Thanks. :)

Hypo-Ortho

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Just a bit of background that I tried to post as last night's thunderstorm came through (No, we didn't get any tornado warnings in our area.)

The first couple of Harry Potter books came out quietly and were mostly popularized by children and parents finding a good story that had plot and characterization. This was during a low point in alot of children's and YA (Young Adult) literature. "Goosebumps" and other series were churned out without much real "meat" as it were. More like cotton candy for the brain.

There was also alot of concern about a lowering of reading abilities particularly amoung boys. And the HP books had a boy as the main character. They showed up in the right place at the right time.

Then the marketers and movies and all noticed that the books were popular and decided they needed to get on the cart. Thus the publicity, the newspaper stories showing children reading. The films and toys etc.

Even with all this, the books can stand on their own merits. Kids don't read them because it was a movie. They want the book. There are 2 boys I know with reading difficulties. One with a slight disability and one in the Autism-Asperger's Spectrum. Both disliked reading unless it was in a narrow area of interest (Sports, robots.)

Both were looking forward, 3 weeks ago, to diving into an 870 page novel. And along with that they are reading about friendship, courage, making the right choices, loyalty and other good things.,

Ebor

(edited for missed words. Sometimes I think faster then I can type)

Bobby

Archon
Reaction score
Heres my 2 cents.

I personally rather see kids reading, even if its absolute crap, than say watching TV or sitting around eating junkfood.

Bobby

H

Hypo-Ortho

Bobby said:
Heres my 2 cents.

I personally rather see kids reading, even if its absolute crap, than say watching TV or sitting around eating junkfood.

Bobby
And I'm one big Santa-Claus-bearded 62-year-old kid who's sick of TV and junkfood! :D

Hypo-Ortho

Bobby

Archon
Reaction score
Then play your videogames!

BTW Hypo, I am about to actually give you that avatar. Sorry it took so long chief.

Bobby

Elisha

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I feel (just a little) bad posting in this section since I've never read a HP book and don't really plan too. But, since I played AD&D when I was little (and am presently stuck in the middle of a computer game that I haven't touched in over a year), I've read dozens of Forgotten Realms and a few Dragonlance books. Although I know he writes more than just Forgotten Realms (I own around 40 of those), I keep hearing R.A. Salvotore's name popping up. Is he really making a name for himself? Is he considered a decent author? I personally like his books (especially the Dark Elf ones), but am curious what others think.

Keble

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
David said:
They're not Orthodox(.)
I don't understand what you mean by this, other than the obvious sense that Rowling herself isn't Orthodox (Church of Scotland, my wife recalls).

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Elisha said:
I feel (just a little) bad posting in this section since I've never read a HP book and don't really plan too. But, since I played AD&D when I was little (and am presently stuck in the middle of a computer game that I haven't touched in over a year), I've read dozens of Forgotten Realms and a few Dragonlance books. Although I know he writes more than just Forgotten Realms (I own around 40 of those), I keep hearing R.A. Salvotore's name popping up. Is he really making a name for himself? Is he considered a decent author? I personally like his books (especially the Dark Elf ones), but am curious what others think.
I played D&D in my 20's and 30's. I don't now because I have children, so there's not as much time and I don't know where any of my many-sided dice are. ;D I play an on-line Massive Multiplayer Game when I can now. I've only read a bit of R. A. Salvatore's writing, not the ones the ones you mentioned. He's OK. He's better then alot of the schlock out there. I read less fantasy now and more SF and alternate Histories when I can. SF Book Club has carried some of Salvatore's books iirc.

Ebor

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Bobby said:
Heres my 2 cents.

Bobby
But if there is better fare available, one hopes that children won't stay with the lesser works. However, being as it's a rare 8 year old boy who would willing read "Hamlet" or "War and Peace" there are also good quality children's books.

Ebor

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
David said:
Wow, you finally broke 500 posts, way to go!
I don't know if I'm hallucinating or it's the Thunderstorm that just crashed through, but I could swear that Bobby's counter now says "9999"...

:eek:

Mega-posting

Ebor

AmatorDeus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.davidgalloway.net
Quote from: David on Wed, July 09, 2003, 10:51:52 PM
They're not Orthodox(.)

Quoted from: Keble
I don't understand what you mean by this, other than the obvious sense that Rowling herself isn't Orthodox (Church of Scotland, my wife recalls).
What I meant was that the books are not written to be explicity Eastern Orthodox texts as are the spiritual texts others mentioned earlier in the thread that they felt drowned out any need for works such as the Harry Potter series. Perhaps it is a good thing the works are not Orthodox, Catholic, and Anglican. Otherwise many of the people who are reading this series would never have picked up the books.

I must also add myself to the list of former D&D players. I played through early high school up until recently. It takes up too much time that is better spent elsewhere these days, so I don't really want to play anymore.

I don't know if I'm hallucinating or it's the Thunderstorm that just crashed through, but I could swear that Bobby's counter now says "9999"...
I don't think you're hallucinating...however perhaps Bobby is hallucinating, or throwing back a few cold ones. :)

Seven pages! Been a while since I've seen a thread at that length. Good night all!

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Maybe the "9999" is another "Undocumented Feature" :cool:

Ebor

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
It must be the Heat. We're starting to crack. :cool:

I'm trying to think of something to wrench this back on topic, but I can't... Later then the Young are all estivating.

Ebor

srenalds

Reaction score
Greetings,

The Nicolaitians would agree that you can't understand (or "comment" on it as was put here) something without first sampling it. This argument would also imply that a monk who has given himself to virginity can't comment on marriage... It would also imply that we need to throw ourselves into sinful situations to better understand how sin operates on the human soul.

We are speculating (and I believe it's fair speculation) that Elder Ephraim has not read JK Rowling, but his monastry is sponsoring a text that is against HP. I put forward the notion that Elder Ephraim is an expert on how fantasy affects the human soul, and doesn't have to read JK Rowling for a further lesson.

Readers of JK Rowling are initiating themselves into a fictional world where the commandments of God are null and void...

Regards,

SRENALDS

Anastasios

Merarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasioshudson.com

Ok guys, each side has stated its position so let's just agree to disagree on this one.

We need to close this topic just because the only thing else that can come of it is "yeah, I agree with you!" or "no, you're wrong!"

If you have a sub-issue you want to discuss, start a new thread, please.

Sincerely,

anastasios
administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.