• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Has anyone done one of those ethnicity/ancestry DNA tests?

trevor72694

Archon
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 11, 2009
Messages
2,459
Reaction score
9
Points
38
Age
27
Location
Colorado, USA
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
I got my results today.  Not what I thought - I expected to have a full quarter of German ancestry.  I'm not surprised by the trace of Scandinavian, but the trace of Iberian surprises me very much.  My mother is going to take it next!  I did AncestryDNA, though other services offer this.  Ultimately I don't know about its accuracy, but I certainly appreciate the novelty of these tests!

Disclaimer - I couldn't find another post on this topic, and I was surprised because this seems like the kind of thing OC.net is into.  :) 

Ethnicity Estimate
European - 100%

Europe East - 64%
Poland, Slovakia, Hungary and Romania

Great Britain - 21%

Europe West - 8%

Low Confidence Regions
Ireland/Scotland/Wales - 3%
Scandinavia - 2%
Iberian Peninsula - 2%

 

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
21,477
Reaction score
1,380
Points
113
Age
161
Location
Wandering Fool
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
I forget where/when, but in some other thread(s) 23andme was mentioned.
 

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Joined
Oct 22, 2015
Messages
9,341
Reaction score
587
Points
113
Age
24
Location
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
I'm very interested at this kind of stuff (such as physical anthropology and classification, in which I classify myself as Atlanto-Mediterranean and berid) and definitely want to do test.

On my future results, I'll bet 83% Southern European (Portuguese), 4% Middle Eastern & North African (Southern Portuguese and Sephardic Jewish), 4% Sub-Saharan African (black), 3% Northern European (Northern Portuguese), 3% non-specific European (Portuguese), 2% East Asian & Native American (Amerindian) and 1% Ashkenazi (Sephardic Jewish). But I'm just guessing loose numbers based on results from people sharing different degrees of ancestry to see how much I get it right for fun, I wouldn't be surprised if they were completely different.
 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
24,064
Reaction score
473
Points
83
Age
49
Website
archiveofourown.org
My mother did that.

Turns out she, as 100% Sicilian, is by default 80% mainland Italian and 20% Greek.

Which makes me, as the inheritor of 50% of her genes, 10% Greek.

Wow.
 

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
8,255
Reaction score
588
Points
113
Age
30
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
I'd love to do such test, but two things prevent me from doing it:
1. Money
2. Fear that it can be used somewhere.

Tikhon.of.Colorado said:
Europe East - 64%
Poland, Slovakia, Hungary and Romania
Welcome, Brother!


biro said:
My mother did that.

Turns out she, as 100% Sicilian, is by default 80% mainland Italian and 20% Greek.

Which makes me, as the inheritor of 50% of her genes, 10% Greek.

Wow.
Such mix is not surprising ;) Anyway, it's a nice mix.
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
20
Points
38
Age
39
Location
PA, USA
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
I took one. I’m roughly a quarter Irish, another quarter German, about 40% East Asian, 8% Turkic and 3% Polynesian. “Low confidence” regions included Russia, Estonia, Italy, and Greece.
 

trevor72694

Archon
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 11, 2009
Messages
2,459
Reaction score
9
Points
38
Age
27
Location
Colorado, USA
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
RaphaCam said:
Dominika said:
I'd love to do such test, but two things prevent me from doing it:
1. Money
Sometimes those tests are done for free in universities, but in this case I'm pretty sure possibility #2 will happen.  :p
They do go on sale around the holidays.  It was a late graduation present my mother got for $50 for the Christmas season.  Normally $100 I believe, from Ancestry.
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
20
Points
38
Age
39
Location
PA, USA
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
Dominika said:
I'd love to do such test, but two things prevent me from doing it:
1. Money
2. Fear that it can be used somewhere
I’m picturing a secret lab with tanks full of Polish-Serbian super-soldiers.
 

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
8,255
Reaction score
588
Points
113
Age
30
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Tikhon.of.Colorado said:
RaphaCam said:
Dominika said:
I'd love to do such test, but two things prevent me from doing it:
1. Money
Sometimes those tests are done for free in universities, but in this case I'm pretty sure possibility #2 will happen.  :p
They do go on sale around the holidays.  It was a late graduation present my mother got for $50 for the Christmas season.  Normally $100 I believe, from Ancestry.
I haven't heard about such things being done here, in Poland...

Iconodule said:
I’m picturing a secret lab with tanks full of Polish-Serbian super-soldiers.
:police:
 

Alpo

Merarches
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
9,878
Reaction score
3
Points
0
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
Dominika said:
I'd love to do such test, but two things prevent me from doing it:
...
2. Fear that it can be used somewhere.
This. I don't want to hand over my personal data of this magnitude to some private company. If the results were anonymized i.e. not traceable to me that would be anoher case.

Then again my ethnicity would probably be quite predictable generic mix of Northernmost Europe.
 

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
8,255
Reaction score
588
Points
113
Age
30
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Alpo said:
Dominika said:
I'd love to do such test, but two things prevent me from doing it:
...
2. Fear that it can be used somewhere.
This. I don't want to hand over my personal data of this magnitude to some private company. If the results were anonymized i.e. not traceable to me that would be anoher case.
Yeah,exactly... Once I've talked with one of my friends and since she has (at least) Polish, Belarussian, Russian and probably some South Slavic origin, she'd like to do such test, but she's decided to do this when she gets old, so no one would have any profit from it.

Alpo said:
Then again my ethnicity would probably be quite predictable generic mix of Northernmost Europe.
Do you think that only Scandinavian or something more?


In my case for sure it would for sure much more complicated. Not only obvious Western Slavic and South Slavic. But as I always say, because of history of Poland and Serbia, we had mix marriages, rapes etc. from different ethnicites. And e.g in my Polish family tehre are some subjects taboo. So, I suspect also some Tatar, Jew (and other Seimitic, as it goes for Serbian part) and Eastern Slavic traces.
 

juliogb

High Elder
Joined
Jan 14, 2015
Messages
976
Reaction score
7
Points
0
I have never done a test like that, but I'd bet in a lot of southern spanish/portuguese blood, maybe a small percentage of berber or north african, a lot of german/austrian, a little of ashkenazi jewish, some scandinavian and a tiny percentage of amerindian.
 

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2013
Messages
6,854
Reaction score
55
Points
48
Age
51
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Unverifiable, so irrelevant
biro said:
My mother did that.

Turns out she, as 100% Sicilian, is by default 80% mainland Italian and 20% Greek.

Which makes me, as the inheritor of 50% of her genes, 10% Greek.

Wow.

Not necessarily true DNA wise.  We inherit half from mother and half from father....but what parts of their makeup a child gets vary from offspring to offspring. 

That means it is entirely possible that you could get any combination of the things she is...not split down the middle in a neat fashion.

 

Alpo

Merarches
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
9,878
Reaction score
3
Points
0
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
Dominika said:
Do you think that only Scandinavian or something more?
Probably a pinch of Russian too as my father's familyline originates from Eastern Finland. I don't know anything about genetics but IMO many Russians of European heritage look exactly like Finns so assumingly there's no too big difference anyway.
 

Hawkeye

Hyperprōtopansebastohalieus
Joined
Aug 15, 2013
Messages
1,098
Reaction score
31
Points
48
Location
Great Alaska
Faith
Of Avvakum and Neronov
Jurisdiction
Old Rite, Chasovenny
I'd like to get tested at some point but I worry it will upend the purity of my Russianness; I'm already aware that I might have East or Central Asian ancestry, I don't need to know that there are Uralics or something further up the tree too.
 

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2013
Messages
6,854
Reaction score
55
Points
48
Age
51
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Unverifiable, so irrelevant
Hawkeye said:
I'd like to get tested at some point but I worry it will upend the purity of my Russianness; I'm already aware that I might have East or Central Asian ancestry, I don't need to know that there are Uralics or something further up the tree too.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:


it totally will!

My 'Russian' half has Mongolian, Central Asian (all the -stans) and Finnish.....
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
20
Points
38
Age
39
Location
PA, USA
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
Nothing wrong with having brutal horse archers in your family tree.
 

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2013
Messages
6,854
Reaction score
55
Points
48
Age
51
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Unverifiable, so irrelevant
Iconodule said:
Nothing wrong with having brutal horse archers in your family tree.

oh indeed not.....and in fact mom and I tested -just- so we could see if some physical features were confirmed in DNA .....


even though most of my family will not even -hear- about us being anything less than 'Russian'...total scandal making info....
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
20
Points
38
Age
39
Location
PA, USA
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
Central Asian steppe people invented the mullet. Massacre and pillage in the front, party in the back. Rock it at the next family gathering.
 

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2013
Messages
6,854
Reaction score
55
Points
48
Age
51
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Unverifiable, so irrelevant
Iconodule said:
Central Asian steppe people invented the mullet. Massacre and pillage in the front, party in the back. Rock it at the next family gathering.

hehe...

just saying ....there was a 2 week long kerfluffle when my great grandmother died and the death certificate said she was born in Turkey.

(she was born in a city that was Russia when she was born but is currently Turkey).....

My grandmother went on and on about it forever.....

 

vorgos

High Elder
Joined
Feb 13, 2010
Messages
857
Reaction score
1
Points
16
Investigation Puts Ancestry DNA Kits To The Test Among Sets Of Triplets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyfWZZ7uPuE

Millions of people are purchasing and using home DNA kits to determine their ancestry. Inside Edition enlisted the help of two sets triplets and a set of quadruplets to investigate the accuracy of the at-home tests. Their ancestry should be absolutely identical since they all came from the same egg. Unfortunately, the reveal confused and disappointed the sisters because of the varied results. The set of quadruplets were almost identical and did not have the variations seen in the triplets.
 

Saxon

High Elder
Joined
Sep 1, 2016
Messages
647
Reaction score
186
Points
43
Age
32
Location
Canada
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Discerning

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
40,135
Reaction score
612
Points
113
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Perhaps someday it'll become a standard medical thing PCPs can order, and I'll get one then. But I already know where most of my family comes from (English, Scottish/Irish, Slovak/Czech) so I don't expect any surprises.
 

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Aug 13, 2015
Messages
1,490
Reaction score
21
Points
38
Age
21
Faith
Episcopalian-ish
Jurisdiction
I pray for all bishops

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Apr 29, 2015
Messages
8,003
Reaction score
1,096
Points
113
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Asteriktos said:
Perhaps someday it'll become a standard medical thing PCPs can order, and I'll get one then. But I already know where most of my family comes from (English, Scottish/Irish, Slovak/Czech) so I don't expect any surprises.
Same here.  But I did get a surprise this weekend; I'm not as German as I thought.  :eek:  I always thought one parent was fully half (at least), but apparently they don't know exactly how much, apart from "a good bit," so my status is reduced to ">50%."  :laugh:  There are Huguenot ancestors on that side, too; not sure what else.
 

Agabus

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
6,330
Reaction score
18
Points
38
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
My brother messaged me a while back and said not to worry with taking the test since he was doing it.

So I'm waiting for his results.

Based on what we know from our kept historical records, assuming everyone was faithful we're a healthy dose of Irish-Scotch, English, Dutch-German and a markable percentile Chickasaw.

I'm kind of holding out for the Mongolian marker 10 percent of the world has.
 

Sharbel

OC.Net Guru
Joined
May 31, 2017
Messages
1,601
Reaction score
4
Points
36
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek
From what I read, such services base their results on statistical correlation of the replies of their customers about their ancestry, not on sampling DNA from all parts of the world.  This would actually be impractical, for the candidates in an area would have to be assessed of their presence in it for several generations.  Though such surveys are done for small groups, it's economically prohibitive for all ethnic groups all over the world.  Besides, what does it mean to in part Hungarian?  Is it the current borders of Hungary?  Is it the Magyar people or the Roma, Romanians or Austrians living in the area?  These tests are not worthy the ink or bits they come in.
 

Hinterlander

High Elder
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 21, 2012
Messages
862
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Great Britain 49%
Europe West 25%
Scandinavia 15%
Ireland/Scotland/Wales 8%

The interesting part was being able to identify my paternal grandfather for the first time and sharing that with the family.
 

Agabus

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
6,330
Reaction score
18
Points
38
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
Hinterlander said:
Great Britain 49%
Europe West 25%
Scandinavia 15%
Ireland/Scotland/Wales 8%

The interesting part was being able to identify my paternal grandfather for the first time and sharing that with the family.
They group Scotland and Wales separately from Great Britain?
 

Sharbel

OC.Net Guru
Joined
May 31, 2017
Messages
1,601
Reaction score
4
Points
36
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek
Agabus said:
They group Scotland and Wales separately from Great Britain?
Or Ireland together with Wales and Scotland?  See post #31.
 

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Joined
May 22, 2011
Messages
15,089
Reaction score
10
Points
0
Age
36
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Sharbel said:
From what I read, such services base their results on statistical correlation of the replies of their customers about their ancestry, not on sampling DNA from all parts of the world.  This would actually be impractical, for the candidates in an area would have to be assessed of their presence in it for several generations.  Though such surveys are done for small groups, it's economically prohibitive for all ethnic groups all over the world.  Besides, what does it mean to in part Hungarian?  Is it the current borders of Hungary?  Is it the Magyar people or the Roma, Romanians or Austrians living in the area?
Yeah, that's a good point.
 

Agabus

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
6,330
Reaction score
18
Points
38
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
Sharbel said:
Agabus said:
They group Scotland and Wales separately from Great Britain?
Or Ireland together with Wales and Scotland?  See post #31.
British isles people who were English dominated but maintained a specifically "screw the English" identity?

 

Sharbel

OC.Net Guru
Joined
May 31, 2017
Messages
1,601
Reaction score
4
Points
36
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek
Agabus said:
British isles people who were English dominated but maintained a specifically "screw the English" identity?
Which English people?  The Anglos were subjugated by the Saxons, who were later subjugated by the Normands.  And then there are the Celts and the Pyx and etc, etc, etc, all whose descendants live on the contemporary British isles.  Yet, such services conflate the modern British nation and its many ethnicities.

Again, all that these services reveal is that one shares genetic traits common with others whose recent ancestors came from specific geographic areas.  They do not reveal one's ethnic makeup, just the recent geographical makeup, as they rely on the recent memory of their clients, not any multi generational controlled DNA sampling.
 

Hinterlander

High Elder
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 21, 2012
Messages
862
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Sharbel said:
From what I read, such services base their results on statistical correlation of the replies of their customers about their ancestry, not on sampling DNA from all parts of the world.  This would actually be impractical, for the candidates in an area would have to be assessed of their presence in it for several generations.  Though such surveys are done for small groups, it's economically prohibitive for all ethnic groups all over the world.  Besides, what does it mean to in part Hungarian?  Is it the current borders of Hungary?  Is it the Magyar people or the Roma, Romanians or Austrians living in the area?  These tests are not worthy the ink or bits they come in.
Ancestry.com has done exactly what you said would be "impractical" . . . they have a reference panel of thousands of samples from distinct regions of the world.  Maybe they don't have samples from every valley in the Balkans but they aren't basing the results simply on customer replies.

Your outright dismissal of this service is ill-informed.
 

Hinterlander

High Elder
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 21, 2012
Messages
862
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Sharbel said:
Agabus said:
British isles people who were English dominated but maintained a specifically "screw the English" identity?
Which English people?  The Anglos were subjugated by the Saxons, who were later subjugated by the Normands.  And then there are the Celts and the Pyx and etc, etc, etc, all whose descendants live on the contemporary British isles.  Yet, such services conflate the modern British nation and its many ethnicities.

Again, all that these services reveal is that one shares genetic traits common with others whose recent ancestors came from specific geographic areas.  They do not reveal one's ethnic makeup, just the recent geographical makeup, as they rely on the recent memory of their clients, not any multi generational controlled DNA sampling.
https://www.ancestry.com/cs/dna-help/ethnicity/reference-panel
 
Top