Has anyone heard anything about Met.Jonah resigning? / Met Jonah Resigns / Holy Synod Releases Official Statement about Met. Jonah's Resignation

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
kijabeboy03 said:
I think there's been a confusion of Metropolitans Hilarion (Kapral) of New York and the ROCOR and Hilarion (Alfeyev) of Volokolamsk, head of external affairs for the Moscow Patriarchate...

Marc1152 said:
Hermogenes said:
I can see His Emminence is known to you only by name. He would truly bring disaster upon our church. Yes, he is brilliant, devout, and talented. But his very Russian style of leadership would never work here.
Maybe just for a couple years to bring order.

I have spent time with Met. Hilarion. I cant attest to his leadership style, Russian or not, but he is very wise in his personal style.
Sounds like what the doctor has ordered to me.

My Priest was ordained by him at all levels. Just after he was made a Deacon, he was serving the Liturgy with  the Met. He recounts that he did not really know what he was doing and went out from the Altar with the sensor. He walked back and forth, back and forth in front of the Icon Screen until all eyebrows were up and there were a few giggles.

He got back to the Altar when Met Hilarion looked at him and said............. "Perfect"    
I didn't mean he was evil. He's extraordinarily kind and cultured. But for example, take a look at his comments a year or so ago to Der Spiegel (German news pub) about the breakdown in discussions between Orthodox and Lutherans. "Brisk" would be about the most generous spin I could put on it. Needlessly blunt and rude would be closer. And it's not a translation issue. The interview was in German, which I speak, being half Viennese. I believe we do not need a bishop given to harsh public comments that offend his audience. And even apart from this, I do not think he will leave Russia. He is being guided to a much different future.
Are we talking about the same guy? He officially lives in Australia and spends most of his time in New York, Met of Rocor.
[/quote]

Yes, Met of Rocor... We have a Russian Tradition Bishop right here in the USA, not that he wants the job of heading the OCA, but there is precedent for it.

Aristocles

Merarches
Reaction score
PrincessMommy said:
primuspilus said:
No edit.

I would like to say I have been following alot of blogs on this, from Episcopalians, to Baptists, Roman Catholics, and Anglicans.

They dont denounce the Holy Synod (well...except for one....no not mono...its an Anglican blog) but they say how much he'll be missed and how great a voice he was for American Orthodoxy. His Eminence is loved by alot of folks.

I hope he does get an episcopal assignment because he seemed to be a true asset to our faith.

I am surprised that Stokoe hasnt said too much (except for some Chicago Tribune piece or something)

PP
Good grief!  Baptists are talking about this?  I had no idea he was even their radar.
I imagine his signing the Manhatten Declaration put both him and American Orthodoxy on a very large range radar.
Sorry to see him go. I am.

kijabeboy03

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
What precedent? Even when the Russian Orthodox Metropolia/OCA was part of the ROCOR the local ROCOR hierarchs in North America were submitted to the Metropolia's head and not the other way around...

Marc1152 said:
kijabeboy03 said:
I think there's been a confusion of Metropolitans Hilarion (Kapral) of New York and the ROCOR and Hilarion (Alfeyev) of Volokolamsk, head of external affairs for the Moscow Patriarchate...

Marc1152 said:
Hermogenes said:
I can see His Emminence is known to you only by name. He would truly bring disaster upon our church. Yes, he is brilliant, devout, and talented. But his very Russian style of leadership would never work here.

I have spent time with Met. Hilarion. I cant attest to his leadership style, Russian or not, but he is very wise in his personal style.

My Priest was ordained by him at all levels. Just after he was made a Deacon, he was serving the Liturgy with  the Met. He recounts that he did not really know what he was doing and went out from the Altar with the sensor. He walked back and forth, back and forth in front of the Icon Screen until all eyebrows were up and there were a few giggles.

He got back to the Altar when Met Hilarion looked at him and said............. "Perfect"    
I didn't mean he was evil. He's extraordinarily kind and cultured. But for example, take a look at his comments a year or so ago to Der Spiegel (German news pub) about the breakdown in discussions between Orthodox and Lutherans. "Brisk" would be about the most generous spin I could put on it. Needlessly blunt and rude would be closer. And it's not a translation issue. The interview was in German, which I speak, being half Viennese. I believe we do not need a bishop given to harsh public comments that offend his audience. And even apart from this, I do not think he will leave Russia. He is being guided to a much different future.
Are we talking about the same guy? He officially lives in Australia and spends most of his time in New York, Met of Rocor.
Yes, Met of Rocor... We have a Russian Tradition Bishop right here in the USA, not that he wants the job of heading the OCA, but there is precedent for it.
[/quote]

Altar Server

High Elder
Reaction score
I hadn't seen anyone post it so I'll post it if it's already here I apologize

The Holy Synods letter on Metropolitan Jonah's resignation

http://oca.org/PDF/NEWS/2012/2012-0716-holy-synod-statement.pdf

Hermogenes

Elder
Reaction score
podkarpatska said:
Major newspapers are picking this up. In tomorrow's Philadephia Enquirer:  http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/162812546.html
Wow. That is an incredibly inflammatory headline. Not to mention the article's factual errors. Don't they have anyone check this stuff?

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Hermogenes said:
podkarpatska said:
Major newspapers are picking this up. In tomorrow's Philadephia Enquirer:  http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/162812546.html
Wow. That is an incredibly inflammatory headline. Not to mention the article's factual errors. Don't they have anyone check this stuff?
You haven't had a lot of experience with the press, especially at the level of a paper like the Philadelphia Enquirer, I take it?

Will that story actually make the paper? Anymore a lot of the internet content of paper's websites is not much more than semi-sourced blog material which never actually goes into print. Not that that matters as it probably gets more readership than the print material.

Hermogenes

Elder
Reaction score
PrincessMommy said:
Hermogenes said:

I think you two are talking about two different Hilarions:

Met. Hilarion of ROCOR and Met. Hilarion Alfeyev.  
I was speaking of Metropolitan Hilarion Alfayev, of the Moscow Patriarcate external relations department.

Hermogenes

Elder
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Hermogenes said:
podkarpatska said:
You haven't had a lot of experience with the press, especially at the level of a paper like the Philadelphia Enquirer, I take it?

Will that story actually make the paper? Anymore a lot of the internet content of paper's websites is not much more than semi-sourced blog material which never actually goes into print. Not that that matters as it probably gets more readership than the print material.
I was a professional journalist for a dozen years.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Hermogenes said:
orthonorm said:
Hermogenes said:
podkarpatska said:

Then how are you surprised?

Hermogenes

Elder
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Hermogenes said:
orthonorm said:
Hermogenes said:
podkarpatska said:

I guess I would have expected a little more in the way of professionalism. This reads like something from a personal blog, especially with the number of errors of fact. Even the Post and the News in NY, rags though they be, would have taken care to note the it is Rev. Eric Tosi; and that the rape has not been proven.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hermogenes said:
orthonorm said:
Hermogenes said:
orthonorm said:
Hermogenes said:
podkarpatska said:

I guess I would have expected a little more in the way of professionalism. This reads like something from a personal blog, especially with the number of errors of fact. Even the Post and the News in NY, rags though they be, would have taken care to note the it is Rev. Eric Tosi; and that the rape has not been proven.
For those who choose not to read the article, Fr. Eric Tosi (as opposed to Fr. Erik Possi) is named as the synod spokesman, NOT as the alleged rapist priest. 8)

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Hermogenes said:
orthonorm said:
Hermogenes said:
orthonorm said:
Hermogenes said:
podkarpatska said:

Yeah, see my bolded portion.

You need to stick the few decent American papers and a handful of foreign papers anymore to get decent writing and journalism.

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Hermogenes said:
podkarpatska said:
I think they copy-pasted a lot from Wikipedia as well. Some of that stuff looks like it came directly off the article about the financial scandal and the OCA.

primuspilus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
A displaced Southerner in the Godless North
Website
www.saintgregorythetheologian.org
I guess I would have expected a little more in the way of professionalism
Unfortunately, most "news stories" nowadays are done by bloggers during their lunch hour at their real job.

Good grief!  Baptists are talking about this?  I had no idea he was even their radar
+Jonah reached out to alot of different folks of many stripes.

PP

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hermogenes said:
podkarpatska said:
Aside from getting Father Tosi's last name incorrect, I thought the article was not unduly inflammatory or inaccurate. Can you explain what you meant by your comment?

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
Second Chance said:
Hermogenes said:
podkarpatska said:
Aside from getting Father Tosi's last name incorrect, I thought the article was not unduly inflammatory or inaccurate. Can you explain what you meant by your comment?
"rapist priest"?

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Second Chance said:
Hermogenes said:
podkarpatska said:
You can say that after reading nothing more than the headline? ??? For starters, His Beatitude was not fired. (And if you're going to say, "fired, asked to resign, what's the difference?", you're going to have to define what gives you the license to go beyond the official record on this.)

Hermogenes

Elder
Reaction score
Schultz said:
Second Chance said:
Hermogenes said:
podkarpatska said:
"rapist priest"?
Thank you. The issues between the synod and the metropolitan go back at least three years and cover a range of issues. The handling of the alleged rape by the priest in question is one of the most serious, but the rape has yet to be proven, as I wrote in my previous comment. Also, His Beatitude was given the option of taking a leave of absence, so to suggest he was fired, ousted, axed, given the heave-ho, or any other similar expression is also inaccurate. HB elected to resign, a not insignificant distinction.

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hermogenes said:
Schultz said:
Second Chance said:
Hermogenes said:
podkarpatska said:
"rapist priest"?
Thank you. The issues between the synod and the metropolitan go back at least three years and cover a range of issues. The handling of the alleged rape by the priest in question is one of the most serious, but the rape has yet to be proven, as I wrote in my previous comment. Also, His Beatitude was given the option of taking a leave of absence, so to suggest he was fired, ousted, axed, given the heave-ho, or any other similar expression is also inaccurate. HB elected to resign, a not insignificant distinction.
I stand corrected; obviously I have been tainted by my participation in Monomakhos, where all kinds of people are maintaining that +Jonah was fired or forced into resignation (the same thing). As for the distinction between "rapist"and "alleged rapist," I think it would be fair to point out that newspaper headlines are notorious for not being scrupulous as they are often used as mere hooks to get the reader to read on.