Has anyone heard anything about Met.Jonah resigning? / Met Jonah Resigns / Holy Synod Releases Official Statement about Met. Jonah's Resignation

Hermogenes

Elder
Reaction score
Maria said:
I am not convinced.

The three page letter released by the OCA Synod was not done in charity.
There was no excuse for all the dirt they released without any proof.
The same type of character assassination was done on St. Nectarios of Aegina.
Do not forget the grief which our Saint John of San Francisco endured too.

I have lost respect for the OCA Synod.

If indeed an OCA priest had raped a girl, why was he not publicly defrocked?
Why this inactivity on the part of the OCA Synod.

Did not Archbishop Joseph of the Antiochians immediately defrock the Northern California man?
Was not this man's name published in the newspapers?

Why is the OCA Synod withholding the name of this so-called OCA priest if he is a danger to society?

I do not buy any details in that letter.

Again, LESS IS BEST. A one sentence statement would have sufficed.
The priest was most definitely on the OCA roster until he was shopped to another jurisdiction. Your paranoia aside, the difference between what ought to have happened and what happened instead seem to be exactly what the synod'setter deals with.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
PeterTheAleut said:
Maria said:
A one sentence press release would have sufficed, such as this:

Metropolitan Jonah has been placed on Administrative Leave pending an investigation by Police and the OCA Synod for allegedly withholding information regarding the alleged rape committed by a priest.​

However, I really doubt that this so-called rapist priest was even with the OCA at all.
If he were, certainly the OCA synod would have immediately defrocked him.
Certainly, they would have published his name so that women could avoid him.

In this country, persons such as Metropolitan Jonah are assumed to be innocent until proven guilty.
What ever has happened to charity? Lord have mercy.
Yes, Maria, whatever happened to charity? I see you're not showing any.
How so?

I am truthfully saying that LESS is BEST.
Was that three page letter on July 16, 2012 posted by the OCA Synod dripping with charity? No.
Did they publish the truth in love? No, because their charges against Met. Jonah were unsubstantiated and vague.

Again, the so-called OCA priest should have been named in that letter and that priest should have been placed immediately on administrative leave to protect women and girls. Why wasn't this done?

The OCA Synod is seriously derelict by not naming this so-called OCA priest and removing him from public service.

St. Nectarios was treated similarly when he was serving in Alexandria as a Bishop.
He was also charged with vague sexual accusations which were never proven.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Hermogenes said:
Maria said:
I am not convinced.

Did not Archbishop Joseph of the Antiochians immediately defrock the Northern California man?

Why is the OCA Synod withholding the name of this so-called OCA priest if he is a danger to society?

The priest was most definitely on the OCA roster until he was shopped to another jurisdiction. Your paranoia aside, the difference between what ought to have happened and what happened instead seem to be exactly what the synod'setter deals with.
Smoke.

Either you know this priest or you blindly believe the OCA Synod letter.

Why has not the OCA released his name? He remains a threat to women and children.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maria said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Maria said:

Metropolitan Jonah has been placed on Administrative Leave pending an investigation by Police and the OCA Synod for allegedly withholding information regarding the alleged rape committed by a priest.​

However, I really doubt that this so-called rapist priest was even with the OCA at all.

In this country, persons such as Metropolitan Jonah are assumed to be innocent until proven guilty.
How so?

Was that three page letter on July 16, 2012 posted by the OCA Synod dripping with charity? No.
Did they publish the truth in love? No, because their charges against Met. Jonah were unsubstantiated and vague.

Again, the so-called OCA priest should have been named in that letter and that priest should have been placed immediately on administrative leave to protect women and girls. Why wasn't this done?

The OCA Synod is seriously derelict by not naming this so-called OCA priest and removing him from public service.

St. Nectarios was treated similarly when he was serving in Alexandria as a Bishop.
Maria, do you know enough about what the Synod is dealing with, what they've done, and what they've not done, to be able to make such statements? I don't think so. If not, how are not making accusations against the Holy Synod that you cannot substantiate? How are you not slandering the Holy Synod of the OCA?

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
PrincessMommy said:
Maria said:

Lord have mercy.
Lord have mercy.
Lord have mercy.
The Synod cannot defrock him if they were not made aware of the problem until just now.  I think that's part of their issue with Met. JONAH.  He withheld very important information from the Synod until this most recent meeting in early July. 

Also, don't say he raped a girl.  I have heard it was an adult female, but it was is hearsay so that it all I care to disclose on a public forum. 
I never used the word "girl" or implied that the priest raped a girl.
I said:

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
PeterTheAleut said:
Maria said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Maria said:

How so?

Maria, do you know enough about what the Synod is dealing with, what they've done, and what they've not done, to be able to make such statements? I don't think so. If not, how are not making accusations against the Holy Synod that you cannot substantiate? How are you not slandering the Holy Synod of the OCA?
Just re-read that letter.
Then ask yourself if that three page letter really needed to be published?
Did it settle anything? No.
Did it raise vague charges against Met. Jonah? Yes, and there is the lack of charity. In addition, that very letter raised serious questions like why the name of the so-called OCA Priest was not released by the OCA Synod when he obviously was considered to be a threat to women by his prior arrest for violence.

I am wondering if there is a cult mentality associated with the current OCA synod.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maria said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Maria said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Maria said:

How so?

Did it raise vague charges against Met. Jonah? Yes, and there is the lack of charity. In addition, that very letter raised serious questions like why the name of the so-called OCA Priest was not released by the OCA Synod when he obviously was considered to be a threat to women by his prior arrest for violence.

I am wondering if there is a cult mentality associated with the current OCA synod.
Again, you do not know what is going on inside the Synod, so the best you can do right now is shut up, because all you're doing right now is setting yourself up to be a judge of matters you know nothing about.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maria said:
I do not believe in the infallibility of the OCA Synod.
No one here does, thus making this statement a straw man argument. Some here do wish to defend the Synod against slander just as much as they wish to defend Metropolitan Jonah against slander, though.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
PeterTheAleut said:
Maria said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Maria said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Maria said:

How so?

Again, you do not know what is going on inside the Synod, so the best you can do right now is shut up, because all you're doing right now is setting yourself up to be a judge of matters you know nothing about.
You did not answer my questions.

Why has the name of this priest not been released?
It is strange that the very outspoken Synod has its tongue tied.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maria said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Maria said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Maria said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Maria said:

How so?

I'm not going to.

Maria said:
Why do you need to know?

PrincessMommy

High Elder
Reaction score
Maria said:
I am not convinced.

Maria said:
I said:
oh, okay... whatever.

pensateomnia

Archon
Reaction score
Maria said:
Hermogenes said:
Maria said:
I am not convinced.

Smoke.

Either you know this priest or you blindly believe the OCA Synod letter.

Why has not the OCA released his name? He remains a threat to women and children.
As far as I know, the priest was never officially accepted into the OCA, which is actually part of the problem. Met Jonah invited him to come from Greece (the priest is a Ukrainian) along with some nuns as part of the monastery Met Jonah wanted to establish in his new monastic/cathedral/church headquarters. Since the Synod didn't like that idea (such mixed setups are actually uncanonical and foolish to boot), a period of chaos ensued. The nuns continue to protect the priest in question, sending him back to their network in Greece. He's a real piece of work.

P.S. But there's nothing normal or official about this situation. It's a mess. The man was invited to be a "religious worker" in the legal sense, receiving housing and other compensation, etc.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
PrincessMommy said:
Maria said:
I am not convinced.

Maria said:
I said:
oh, okay... whatever.
Let me help you:

Maria said:

iustinos

Reaction score
All of the controversy about whether this **** was ever in the OCA confuses me. If he was--as one commenter states--wouldn't he appear in one of the OCA official publications? Wouldn't he have appeared at some point on the clergy directory on the OCA website?
Has the Synod contacted his new bishop to let him know what they allege Met. Jonah failed to tell him?

It's very odd.

Name removed to protect the accused until permission has been granted for his name to be released to the public  -PtA

pensateomnia

Archon
Reaction score
iustinos said:
All of the controversy about whether this **** was ever in the OCA confuses me. If he was--as one commenter states--wouldn't he appear in one of the OCA official publications? Wouldn't he have appeared at some point on the clergy directory on the OCA website?
Has the Synod contacted his new bishop to let him know what they allege Met. Jonah failed to tell him?

It's very odd.

Name removed to protect the accused until permission has been granted for his name to be released to the public  -PtA
It's only odd because everything about this priest is odd and the way the Metropolitan brought him over was odd as well. The absolute fact is, regardless of whether or not the Metropolitan had this unnamed priest entered in the OCA clergy directory (he may or may not have; I don't know), the Metropolitan invited this unnamed priest to come, set him up in DC, and, at least for time, had him performing priestly duties (e.g catechizing lay people, leading worship, performing sacraments, etc).

Name of priest removed to protect the accused until permission has been granted for his name to be released to the public  -PtA

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
PeterTheAleut said:
Maria said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Maria said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Maria said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Maria said:

How so?

I'm not going to.

Maria said:
Why do you need to know?
Enough of this nonsense already. No one is saying that anyone is 'infallible' or that this matter might have been handled in a different matter. However, given the crap that has been thrown against the wall by certain parties online, it is clear to me that the Synod had to take some action to let the faithful know something was amiss.

The names of victims and the alleged perpetrator were not released for common sense reasons and because I am certain that the OCA's quite competent legal counsel advised the Synod members not to do so for obvious reasons in anticipation of a multitude of potential litigants. That is certainly the type of advice that I or any other competent attorney would have given a client under similar circumstances involving serious personal or management indiscretion allegations. The same would occur in any school district or hospital or wherever if legal charges were either not let brought or if the proof necessary to sustain criminal charges were not there but the lower burdens of proof needed for civil liability were present. For the Synod to unanimously request the resignation of the Metropolitan tells me at least, that more than just smoke and mirrors were involved. There has to be some substance to what is behind the whole mess. If not, you would have to believe that each of the nine Bishops are corrupt and venial. That is simply absurd and sinful to hold such a belief.

Give it a rest and let things play out. But comparing Metropolitan Jonah with the trials and tribulations of Saints at this point in the discussion is just ridiculous.

Paisius

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
pensateomnia said:
iustinos said:

It's very odd.

Name removed to protect the accused until permission has been granted for his name to be released to the public  -PtA
It's only odd because everything about this priest is odd and the way the Metropolitan brought him over was odd as well. The absolute fact is, regardless of whether or not the Metropolitan had this unnamed priest entered in the OCA clergy directory (he may or may not have; I don't know), the Metropolitan invited this unnamed priest to come, set him up in DC, and, at least for time, had him performing priestly duties (e.g catechizing lay people, leading worship, performing sacraments, etc).

Name of priest removed to protect the accused until permission has been granted for his name to be released to the public  -PtA

All several years before finding out about the rape allegations and at least two years after withdrawing his blessing to serve. That is if you believe the letter from the godmother. I don't know who's right or who's wrong; but I do know there are always more than one side to a story. I also know that until now we've only heard one version of the events. It will be interesting to see how all this plays out.

Bigsinner

Elder
Reaction score
podkarpatska said:
Give it a rest and let things play out. But comparing Metropolitan Jonah with the trials and tribulations of Saints at this point in the discussion is just ridiculous.
I agree.  We shouldn't be jumping to any conclusions as we do not have half, let alone all, the facts.  Until such time, I would rather assume the best, avoid labeling anyone a saint, victim, or villain, and pray for all parties involved.

Hermogenes

Elder
Reaction score
podkarpatska said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Maria said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Maria said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Maria said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Maria said:

How so?

I'm not going to.

Maria said:
Why do you need to know?
Enough of this nonsense already. No one is saying that anyone is 'infallible' or that this matter might have been handled in a different matter. However, given the crap that has been thrown against the wall by certain parties online, it is clear to me that the Synod had to take some action to let the faithful know something was amiss.

The names of victims and the alleged perpetrator were not released for common sense reasons and because I am certain that the OCA's quite competent legal counsel advised the Synod members not to do so for obvious reasons in anticipation of a multitude of potential litigants. That is certainly the type of advice that I or any other competent attorney would have given a client under similar circumstances involving serious personal or management indiscretion allegations. The same would occur in any school district or hospital or wherever if legal charges were either not let brought or if the proof necessary to sustain criminal charges were not there but the lower burdens of proof needed for civil liability were present. For the Synod to unanimously request the resignation of the Metropolitan tells me at least, that more than just smoke and mirrors were involved. There has to be some substance to what is behind the whole mess. If not, you would have to believe that each of the nine Bishops are corrupt and venial. That is simply absurd and sinful to hold such a belief.