• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Has fate replaced God and free will?

tweety234

High Elder
Reaction score
I hear people who chose not to marry saying it was not meant to be. I hear others choosing to marry some idiots, and they say it was meant that they would marry idiots. If everything is meant. If the tragedies and blessings in our lives were just meant to be. Where is our free will? and if everything is meant to be. Why should we worry about sinning, when that is meant to be  also? And why should we take any responsibilty if everything is someone else's work?

Ashman618

High Elder
Reaction score
How can someone choose not to marry and say it was or wasnt meant to be? That's there own choice  ???

tweety234

High Elder
Reaction score
Ashman618 said:
How can someone choose not to marry and say it was or wasnt meant to be? That's there own choice  ???
Exactly. But it seems that these day even (and especially) some people who call themselves Orthodox, worship fate instead.

tweety234

High Elder
Reaction score
katherineofdixie said:
It's just an expression. Or perhaps they want to validate their own personal choices. It would surprise me to learn that they indeed worship fate - whatever that is.
fate is when someone else (God) makes it happen. Not you.

KBN1

High Elder
Reaction score
katherineofdixie said:
It's just an expression. Or perhaps they want to validate their own personal choices. It would surprise me to learn that they indeed worship fate - whatever that is.
I agree with Katherine.

"It wasn't meant to be." can simply mean that there are things that are out of our control.  And if it is God's will that someone not marry, for whatever reason(s), and they choose to follow the Holy Spirit's leading on that, they can still accurately say that it wasn't meant to be without being fatalistic.

edit: typo

Shanghaiski

Merarches
Reaction score
The concept of fate is a strong concept with deep cultural roots, albeit those cultural roots are in paganism. Christianity argues against fate. Fate does not rule the world, God does, And God does not coerce anyone, but honors free will.