• Christ is Risen!
  • Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Have you had any supernatural / ghost experiences?

LivenotoneviL

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Outside the Church
Jurisdiction
Lost for now.
Of course, the Orthodox position (as far as I'm aware) on these matters is that they are either the work of Satan or the deceased, or just a fake, but have you had any of these experiences before? Share below!

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
I've heard loud cries in church twice, on the same feast, but in different years. It's the only experience I can't attribute to hypnopompic hallucinations or sleep paralysis, which are natural and sane phenomena. I had some other supernatural experiences which a skeptic would attribute to coincidence, that is, witnessing apparent prophecy or witchcraft, but these weren't any "ghostly", so I think they don't count.

LivenotoneviL

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Outside the Church
Jurisdiction
Lost for now.
I want to tell you mine, which allegedly happened - my Great Uncle, Dan, who was a Vietnam Veteran, died of cancer when I was very young - I think I was three years old when he died. Well, one time, after he had passed from this life, I was in the basement of our house, riding around on my toy tricycle, and I was high-fiving the air - saying things like "you got it man" (and that's how my Great Uncle would address people), and my mom came downstairs to ask what I was doing. I said I was high-fiving Uncle Dan. Later that week, I was waving at the window when I was going to sleep in  my room, and my Mom yet again asked what I was doing - and I said I was saying goodbye to Uncle Dan.

What was even weirder was what happened later - my Mom had a reunion college party, where they invited a fortune teller. My Mom did it, because nobody was doing the fortune telling, and she didn't want her to feel bad - but she made it clear that she didn't believe in what the magic of fortune telling. Well, apparently, she told my Mom that her son was having some strange supernatural occurrences, right? And that she should look into it, because some children have a natural gift of the supernatural that should be embraced. Luckily, she never did look into it.

platypus

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
I've had so many it's ridiculous.

One time I was staying in a hotel room that had a painting with a glass frame right in front of the bed. I was looking at my reflection in the glass when I saw, very clearly, someone walk past behind me. It was so mundane I didn't think anything of it until about a minute later, when I remembered that I was sitting on a bed alone in a hotel room.

The Roman Catholic parish I belonged to growing up had an organ that would occasionally play music when no one was in the choir loft. And there was a Dominican nunnery attached that had been converted into a Daughters of Charity convent about 50 years prior. I never saw it, but several people told me they'd seen Dominican nuns walking around when they were alone at the church.

And now that I've given a couple normal-ish stories, allow me to make myself sound like a complete nutjob:

My wildest ghost experience happened towards the beginning of last year. I had just moved into a century old apartment building in a new city. I lived in apartment number 26. It was old enough to have air vents leading from the cabinents to outside, to keep food cold. Everything was normal for a few weeks, then my wallet disappeared. I thought it might have been stolen but no one tried to use my credit card. Then cabinents started opening while I slept. I'd wake up in the morning and find the kitchen cabinents open.

After several weeks of this, I was relieving myself one day when I heard a raspy voice right outside my door. "Number 26, yes. I had forgotten about number 26." I jumped off the toilet terrified, dove through the bathroom door, and flung open the front door. There was no one there. I was a nervous wreck for several hours after that. I called a friend to come over but he didn't answer his phone. So I ventured outside to obtain a weapon of some sort. I ended up buying a baseball bat at a Salvation Army thrift store. I put it next to my bed before I went to sleep, just in case. When I woke up the next morning, the bat was on the other side of the room.

BBQ fritos began appearing underneath my radiator. I never bought BBQ fritos. My cabinents continued to open themselves at night. There's no Orthodox parish in this town, and I seriously considered asking the Roman Catholic priest to bless my apartment, or exorcise it, or something. I went ahead and sprinkled some holy water around, but to no avail.

About twice a month I had to sleep in a barracks room on the base where I work. Whatever was haunting me decided to follow me there. I walked into the barracks room on my duty day, set my stuff down, and went to the communal kitchen to heat up my dinner. Then I walked back to the room and unlocked the door. Nothing as as I left it. The lamp was on, the shades were open, and there was a chair in the middle of the room facing the window. I walked up to the chair and touched the armrest.

"Why are you doing this to me?" I begged to know. "What did I ever do to you?" I pleaded with the empty chair for over a quarter hour. I didn't get a response. That was the last day I was haunted.

I told a girl I was seeing at the time about what happened, and she told me to get a nannycam for my room. She thought for sure there was someone coming in at night. I ordered a nannycam, but when it arrived my life and home had returned to normal. At that point the lack of haunting was more disturbing than the haunting itself, and I took the first chance I got to move to another apartment.

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
platypus said:
My wildest ghost experience happened towards the beginning of last year. I had just moved into a century old apartment building in a new city. I lived in apartment number 26. It was old enough to have air vents leading from the cabinents to outside, to keep food cold. Everything was normal for a few weeks, then my wallet disappeared. I thought it might have been stolen but no one tried to use my credit card. Then cabinents started opening while I slept. I'd wake up in the morning and find the kitchen cabinents open.

After several weeks of this, I was relieving myself one day when I heard a raspy voice right outside my door. "Number 26, yes. I had forgotten about number 26." I jumped off the toilet terrified, dove through the bathroom door, and flung open the front door. There was no one there. I was a nervous wreck for several hours after that. I called a friend to come over but he didn't answer his phone. So I ventured outside to obtain a weapon of some sort. I ended up buying a baseball bat at a Salvation Army thrift store. I put it next to my bed before I went to sleep, just in case. When I woke up the next morning, the bat was on the other side of the room.

BBQ fritos began appearing underneath my radiator. I never bought BBQ fritos. My cabinents continued to open themselves at night. There's no Orthodox parish in this town, and I seriously considered asking the Roman Catholic priest to bless my apartment, or exorcise it, or something. I went ahead and sprinkled some holy water around, but to no avail.

About twice a month I had to sleep in a barracks room on the base where I work. Whatever was haunting me decided to follow me there. I walked into the barracks room on my duty day, set my stuff down, and went to the communal kitchen to heat up my dinner. Then I walked back to the room and unlocked the door. Nothing as as I left it. The lamp was on, the shades were open, and there was a chair in the middle of the room facing the window. I walked up to the chair and touched the armrest.

"Why are you doing this to me?" I begged to know. "What did I ever do to you?" I pleaded with the empty chair for over a quarter hour. I didn't get a response. That was the last day I was haunted.

I told a girl I was seeing at the time about what happened, and she told me to get a nannycam for my room. She thought for sure there was someone coming in at night. I ordered a nannycam, but when it arrived my life and home had returned to normal. At that point the lack of haunting was more disturbing than the haunting itself, and I took the first chance I got to move to another apartment.
I hope Volnutt is reading this lol

Sethrak

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Armenian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Etchmiadzin, Armenia
Well, not supernatural more like Natural :

When I'm working on a truck or anything Mechanical ~ I'll ask my uncles and father for help with something ~ they were all mechanics ( Mom had 10 brothers ) ```

Well they had all gone to walk with Our Lord ~ I had just bought a papered Saanen Goat ~ they're a Swiss animal ~ I had some baled hay to move ~ that's not fun or easy with out Hay Hooks ``` I went into the shop ~ mom had this shop built for daddy to fix things in ~ he was always fixing ``` I went into the shop ~ I knew it well dad and I worked in there for years ~ I stood in front of the work bench and asked My Father ( God I love and miss him ) Daddy I said ~ I need something to move the bales ~ tell me ~ show me ~ I was clearly ~ well ~ I turned to my right and there over my shoulder I saw a hand made Hayhook ~ just one But a hayhook ~ I had set that shop up with my father and worked in that shop from the start and had never seen it ~ this wasn't at the folks ranch ~ it was up on the hill where their new house was built ```

I was stunned ~ I'm telling you ~ I never told anyone ~ because I thought maybe the communication would be broken if I mentioned it ```

Asking help and guidance from Daddy and uncles is not different than asking help from Saints that are canonized by the Church 
I'm as sure of that as I am ~ that it was my father who sent the hayhook ```

Well ~ not supernatural but wonderful ~ don't you think ~ if you knew father you'd really like him ~ all our family and friends called him daddy ~ John was his name Onjig ~ but everyone called him daddy ```

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
I was walking into an early morning fog in the mountains.  Suddenly, there were all these black shadows around me.  I saw so many dark figures walking way from me and I could not reach them, even after calling to them.  They just disappeared!

I walked into the monastery church and asked one of the fathers about it.  He said that the monks like to be in church before the bells ring.

Crucifer

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.uscj.org
Faith
Jewish(Conservative)
I've never encoutered a ghost, for the same reason I've never seen a leprechaun or the Easter Bunny. Don't exsist.

Sethrak

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Armenian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Etchmiadzin, Armenia
Hi Tallitot good morning ~ is that Masorti ~ or ``` Do you ~ if you don't mind my asking ~ believe in the immortality of the Soul ```

seth

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
RaphaCam said:
Tallitot said:
I've never encoutered a ghost, for the same reason I've never seen a leprechaun or the Easter Bunny. Don't exsist.
What about the Witch of Endor?
She's my homeboy.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
This has not yet happened to me, unless you count that time a medication made me feel like I was 'outside my body.'

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
While in college, a friend of mine thought it would be "cool" to bring out a ouija board and play around with it.  I didn't think much of it and I just thought it was something people just do for kicks.  Anyway, after messing around with that for about an hour we quit and went back to our rooms. My roommate was out of town that weekend and so I was excited to have the room to myself.  Anyway, the power went out that night (my oscillating fan stopped and that's how I knew) and it was also a moonless night so it was pretty dark in my room. I remember seeing a shape in the corner by the door.  It scared the crap out of me and I get up to turn on the light even though there was no power.  Then the power suddenly came on and for an instant as the light came on, I saw that shadowy figure in the light, but it was jut as quickly gone. 

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Asteriktos said:
This has not yet happened to me, unless you count that time a medication made me feel like I was 'outside my body.'
So you were the ghost?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
hecma925 said:
Asteriktos said:
So you were the ghost?
I guess, in the same way that the guy in the mental hospital really is Abraham Lincoln.

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Asteriktos said:
hecma925 said:
Asteriktos said:
So you were the ghost?
I guess, in the same way that the guy in the mental hospital really is Abraham Lincoln.
Was Zhuangzi dreaming he was a butterfly, or was a butterfly dreaming he was Zhuangzi?

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
RaphaCam said:
Asteriktos said:
hecma925 said:
Asteriktos said:
So you were the ghost?
Was Zhuangzi dreaming he was a butterfly, or was a butterfly dreaming he was Zhuangzi?
Bruce Willis was dead the whole time.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco

Sethrak

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Armenian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Etchmiadzin, Armenia
scamandrius said:
While in college, a friend of mine thought it would be "cool" to bring out a ouija board and play around with it.  I didn't think much of it and I just thought it was something people just do for kicks.  Anyway, after messing around with that for about an hour we quit and went back to our rooms. My roommate was out of town that weekend and so I was excited to have the room to myself.  Anyway, the power went out that night (my oscillating fan stopped and that's how I knew) and it was also a moonless night so it was pretty dark in my room. I remember seeing a shape in the corner by the door.  It scared the crap out of me and I get up to turn on the light even though there was no power.  Then the power suddenly came on and for an instant as the light came on, I saw that shadowy figure in the light, but it was jut as quickly gone.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Years back ~ I was building this house ~ along with all the stuff that was moved up and now stored somewhere in this house was ~ a Ouija Board ~ I lived alone ~ had no phone ~ no electricity communicated with the outside world by CB radio ~ remember them ~ I became aware of the Ouija board stored in what is now the wine cellar ~ I brought it up an threw it in the wood stove ~ and I felt much better ~ Yep ~ I know it's a bit silly but ~ it was something at the time ```

Sethrak

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Armenian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Etchmiadzin, Armenia
I'm up here in the mountains now ~ it's been hot ~ but it rained last night and there's a chill ~ while I do have the front slider open ~ I built a fire ~ feel I need it ~ the sun is up and the valley is warming ~ I'm sure ~ but I'm waiting to feel the warmth from this faithful old wood stove ```

seth

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew