• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

have you read this book?

Hinterlander

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Bart Ehrman has a serious ax to grind as a former evangelical and burn out.  I picked this up from his interviews on NPR (Fresh Air I think). His books and claims are standard for the liberal academy but have been dealt with by Christians of all stripes.  I wouldn't bother reading his books, personally.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Hinterlander said:
Bart Ehrman has a serious ax to grind as a former evangelical and burn out.  I picked this up from his interviews on NPR (Fresh Air I think). His books and claims are standard for the liberal academy but have been dealt with by Christians of all stripes.  I wouldn't bother reading his books, personally.
+1

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
J Michael said:
Achronos said:
Well atleast he believes Jesus existed.
So do a lot of "atheists".  So does Satan.  Your point?
Because other "scholars" of his ilk think Jesus never existed and they make some of the same arguments Ehrman does.

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Ehrman makes some valid points from time to time, but also has serious errors of logic throughout any of his books that I've read (which, along with many others, includes Misquoting Jesus).

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Professor Ehrman is very popular among certain segments of society, but not so with serious Christians, including the Orthodox. His main thesis has been debunked by many, most recently by two Evangelical theologians who have great regard for Fr John Behr, Dean of St Vladimir's Orthodox Theological Seminary. See "The Heresy of Orthodoxy: How Contemporary Culture's Fascination with Diversity Has Reshaped Our Understanding," by Andreas J. Kostenberger and Michael J. Kruger. This wonderful book is widely available--I have it on my Kindle Paperwhite.

pmpn8rGPT

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Achronos said:
J Michael said:
Achronos said:
Well atleast he believes Jesus existed.
So do a lot of "atheists".  So does Satan.  Your point?
Because other "scholars" of his ilk think Jesus never existed and they make some of the same arguments Ehrman does.
no scholar even of his elk would ever make the claim that Jesus never existed, the only [comedian] who would do that is Peter Joseph.