• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Have you watched touched by an angel when it was on?

theistgal

Archon
Site Supporter
Joined
Jun 16, 2008
Messages
2,477
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Sunny Southern Cal
It's one of my guilty pleasures. Another one is Ghost Whisperer, which is basically Touched by a Ghost.
 

Eastern Mind

High Elder
Joined
Sep 9, 2011
Messages
721
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Yeah, I like it. Theology is waaaay off, though. But just as fiction, it's...eh?
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,585
Reaction score
331
Points
83
I was more of a MacGyver kinda guy. Or Renegade. Or whatever was on TV at that time.  :)
 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
12,472
Reaction score
246
Points
63
Age
48
Location
Camulodunum
tweety234 said:
what did you think of the show?
Cute, but eh. I wasn't planning my afternoons around it.
 

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Joined
Jan 23, 2011
Messages
5,813
Reaction score
0
Points
0
FormerReformer said:
Bad ripoff of Highway to Heaven. The main angel was a lot easier on the eyes, though.
^This

It was an ok show, but I enjoyed Highway to Heaven much more.
 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,645
Reaction score
3
Points
38
Schmaltzy, turgid cornball pap. Not even "so bad it's good" material.  :p :p :p
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Joan of Arcadia

But you already knew that, right?
 

genesisone

Archon
Joined
Aug 20, 2005
Messages
2,906
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
68
Location
Niagara Region, Ontario
Reruns are almost always available. I've seen a few again recently. They're on in late afternoon when the alternative are Dr Phil, Dr Oz, or reruns of almost anything else. It's safe and clean, but sadly reflects everyday theology.
 

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Joined
Feb 28, 2008
Messages
5,182
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I remember it, we'd watch it with 7th Heaven. I can't remember how good or bad the former was, the latter really helped start Jessica Biel and Ashlee Simpsons careers though.
 

theistgal

Archon
Site Supporter
Joined
Jun 16, 2008
Messages
2,477
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Sunny Southern Cal
You must admit it's a little eerie that BOTH the actors who played the "Angel of Death" died at fairly young ages.  (Not to mention that one of them was actually NAMED "Dye". [Cue "Twilight Zone" music]
 

tweety234

High Elder
Joined
Nov 23, 2012
Messages
626
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
34
Location
brantford, ontario, canada
genesisone said:
Reruns are almost always available. I've seen a few again recently. They're on in late afternoon when the alternative are Dr Phil, Dr Oz, or reruns of almost anything else. It's safe and clean, but sadly reflects everyday theology.
Although as far as I am concerned, it was never meant to be a religious show. It was meant to be a spiritual show instead. What is wrong with everyday theology?
 

tweety234

High Elder
Joined
Nov 23, 2012
Messages
626
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
34
Location
brantford, ontario, canada
theistgal said:
You must admit it's a little eerie that BOTH the actors who played the "Angel of Death" died at fairly young ages.  (Not to mention that one of them was actually NAMED "Dye". [Cue "Twilight Zone" music]
you mean the man who played "Adam" the other angel of death, died too? how sad.
 

genesisone

Archon
Joined
Aug 20, 2005
Messages
2,906
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
68
Location
Niagara Region, Ontario
tweety234 said:
genesisone said:
Reruns are almost always available. I've seen a few again recently. They're on in late afternoon when the alternative are Dr Phil, Dr Oz, or reruns of almost anything else. It's safe and clean, but sadly reflects everyday theology.
Although as far as I am concerned, it was never meant to be a religious show. It was meant to be a spiritual show instead. What is wrong with everyday theology?
Theology is vague. It's all about "let's just feel good and be happy". Nothing particularly wrong with that in and of itself, except that it can substitute for a real pursuit of God.
 

tweety234

High Elder
Joined
Nov 23, 2012
Messages
626
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
34
Location
brantford, ontario, canada
genesisone said:
tweety234 said:
genesisone said:
Reruns are almost always available. I've seen a few again recently. They're on in late afternoon when the alternative are Dr Phil, Dr Oz, or reruns of almost anything else. It's safe and clean, but sadly reflects everyday theology.
Although as far as I am concerned, it was never meant to be a religious show. It was meant to be a spiritual show instead. What is wrong with everyday theology?
Theology is vague. It's all about "let's just feel good and be happy". Nothing particularly wrong with that in and of itself, except that it can substitute for a real pursuit of God.
Not if you do believe in God though.
 

ialmisry

Strategos
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
41,813
Reaction score
8
Points
38
Location
Chicago
genesisone said:
Reruns are almost always available. I've seen a few again recently. They're on in late afternoon when the alternative are Dr Phil, Dr Oz, or reruns of almost anything else. It's safe and clean, but sadly reflects everyday theology.
Which is why it isn't safe.

IIRC DelaReese is some minister of some denomination, and she officiated at her costars' wedding.
 

genesisone

Archon
Joined
Aug 20, 2005
Messages
2,906
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
68
Location
Niagara Region, Ontario
tweety234 said:
genesisone said:
tweety234 said:
genesisone said:
Reruns are almost always available. I've seen a few again recently. They're on in late afternoon when the alternative are Dr Phil, Dr Oz, or reruns of almost anything else. It's safe and clean, but sadly reflects everyday theology.
Although as far as I am concerned, it was never meant to be a religious show. It was meant to be a spiritual show instead. What is wrong with everyday theology?
Theology is vague. It's all about "let's just feel good and be happy". Nothing particularly wrong with that in and of itself, except that it can substitute for a real pursuit of God.
Not if you do believe in God though.
You didn't read what I wrote. I said substitute for a real pursuit of God.
 

genesisone

Archon
Joined
Aug 20, 2005
Messages
2,906
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
68
Location
Niagara Region, Ontario
ialmisry said:
genesisone said:
Reruns are almost always available. I've seen a few again recently. They're on in late afternoon when the alternative are Dr Phil, Dr Oz, or reruns of almost anything else. It's safe and clean, but sadly reflects everyday theology.
Which is why it isn't safe.

IIRC DelaReese is some minister of some denomination, and she officiated at her costars' wedding.
My fault for being vague. Sorry. By "safe" I mean not having to deal with blood and gore, sex and nudity, etc., i.e. "G" rated. If you'll notice my conversation with tweety234, you'll see that I agree that it can be a theological minefield.
 

Agabus

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
6,324
Reaction score
9
Points
0
tweety234 said:
what did you think of the show?
It was perfect viewing for my grandmother.

orthonorm said:
Joan of Arcadia

But you already knew that, right?
But what if God was just a slob like one of us?
 

tweety234

High Elder
Joined
Nov 23, 2012
Messages
626
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
34
Location
brantford, ontario, canada
Eastern Mind said:
Yeah, I like it. Theology is waaaay off, though. But just as fiction, it's...eh?
it wasn't meant to be a theological show. It was meant to be an inspiration for people to improve themselves and their relationships. It was also meant to be a hope and comfort for those who for all sorts of reasons mourn.
 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,645
Reaction score
3
Points
38
tweety234 said:
Eastern Mind said:
Yeah, I like it. Theology is waaaay off, though. But just as fiction, it's...eh?
it wasn't meant to be a theological show. It was meant to be an inspiration for people to improve themselves and their relationships. It was also meant to be a hope and comfort for those who for all sorts of reasons mourn.
A program can be edifying and inspirational without descending into mawkish, schmaltzy sentimentality.
 

Ashman618

High Elder
Joined
Sep 7, 2012
Messages
510
Reaction score
0
Points
0
What do you guys think about the theology behind Sanford & Son?
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,585
Reaction score
331
Points
83
Ashman618 said:
What do you guys think about the theology behind Sanford & Son?
That one old guy's constant expectation and remembrance of death was quite Orthodox!  8)
 

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Joined
Feb 15, 2007
Messages
7,007
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
Ashman618 said:
What do you guys think about the theology behind Sanford & Son?
The "fording" of the "sand" represents the Exodus through the desert, into the Promised Land; children of Israel were led by God the "Son" in the form of the pillar of fire.

Along the way, the Israelites conquered the pagans and Heathens; Aunt Esther symbolizes the Israelite armies led by the Lord of Hosts.

 
Top