• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Healthy Fasting

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
36,418
Reaction score
289
Points
83
Age
40
Location
New York!
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Ersaia said:
The first Monday of Lent you can see very huge caldrons with white bean soup (φασολάδα) in parks and anyone can eat :)
What a lovely custom! 
 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
36,418
Reaction score
289
Points
83
Age
40
Location
New York!
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Ferd Berfel said:
I've never tried to make curry with coconut milk, that's an interesting idea. Are you planning to add it to the curry itself? Or are you softening the lentils in the milk? If you try this, let me know what happens. I might do it myself later...
I like you. 
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
40,135
Reaction score
612
Points
113
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Are we fasting yet? I want to go to McDonalds today... (serious question)
 

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2013
Messages
6,854
Reaction score
56
Points
48
Age
51
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Unverifiable, so irrelevant
Mor Ephrem said:
DeniseDenise said:
lentils are great as well....I just can't stand them by about day 6 of eating them...bleh.  maybe its that everyone uses indian spices...again i have a finite tolerance for that flavor profile.
And I now have a finite tolerance for you.  :p

Actually, I understand.  India has several regional cuisines, and the spices used and how they're combined differ from place to place.  Generally, I prefer southern food to northern food (though I enjoy both), but there are certain things for which my preference goes the other way around: spices make a big difference.  

In America, the Indian restaurants aren't really all that authentic, even if they are good, and the food is a generic "Indian", not really focused, regional cuisine, and it's usually made bland (for non-adventurous Americans with money, not tongues, to burn) and, horribile dictu, sometimes with Western ingredients.  For example, I once ate at a restaurant where the chicken tikka masala, not an Indian dish anyway, used ketchup instead of tomatos (I cursed the cook, four generations of his ancestors, and four generations of his descendants in the name of the Lord).  A lot of the recipes online or in cookbooks, even if written by Indians, are usually more of the same, and Western "Indian food" recipes are just Indianesque and "eh".  Curry powders/mixes that are available in your average supermarket, microwaveable Indian food, etc., are typically gross.  For real Indian food, find a real Indian who can really cook, ask them to cook for you, to teach you how to cook, or at least to help you find a source for recipes (good stuff is online, but unless you know what you're looking for, it's tough).        

Perhaps Mexican food is similarly regional and variable, but I wouldn't know: what I've had in Mexican restaurants hasn't really satisfied me.  Cuban, Puerto Rican, Brazilian, Chilean, Argentine, Peruvian, El Salvadorian, almost any other Latin cuisine I enjoy, but Mexican?  No.  This rant had nothing to do with your post, but I felt obligated in my soul to write it.  


Oh I actually like most of the Indian food I have had...despite being a 'heat hot' wimp.  I have eaten both at the British Style Indian takeaway, which is that tikka masala you describe, which does colour my view of things, as well as at some very authentic Northern food at the restaurant owned by the author of this (http://www.amazon.com/The-Bombay-Cafe-Neela-Paniz/dp/0898159350)


My issue is not precisely with 'Indian' food...its with 'hippy vegetarian' lentils and other meatless entrees.....that for some reason, ALL must use 'pseudo-Indian' spicing.  It's as if no one who doesn't eat meat in America, has ever tasted anything meatless from anywhere but 'India'
 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
36,418
Reaction score
289
Points
83
Age
40
Location
New York!
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
vamrat said:
Most of the curries I have eaten are of the Vietnamese/Thai variety with coconut milk:
I don't know much about crock pot cooking, but you can definitely add coconut milk to curry in general.  Your only problem would be if the spice combination doesn't jive with it.  I've mostly had it with southern Indian cuisine, which influenced Thai cuisine (which is why it works there too).  I don't think I've ever seen coconut milk added to a lentil curry, it's usually with meat.  It's worth a shot, though (I like coconut milk, I will pour it over certain native breakfast foods).  

one hellifiknow
That's the best.
 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
36,418
Reaction score
289
Points
83
Age
40
Location
New York!
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Asteriktos said:
Are we fasting yet? I want to go to McDonalds today... (serious question)
If you are EO, yes (from meat).  If you are OO, it depends on your tradition.  If you're RC, lol. 
 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
36,418
Reaction score
289
Points
83
Age
40
Location
New York!
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
DeniseDenise said:
My issue is not precisely with 'Indian' food...its with 'hippy vegetarian' lentils and other meatless entrees.....that for some reason, ALL must use 'pseudo-Indian' spicing.  It's as if no one who doesn't eat meat in America, has ever tasted anything meatless from anywhere but 'India'
Yeah, that's wack. 

My go-to cuisines for Lenten food are, in order, Indian (big surprise), Oriental (Chinese, Thai...I like others, but more with meat and fish), and Middle Eastern. 
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
40,135
Reaction score
612
Points
113
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Mor Ephrem said:
Asteriktos said:
Are we fasting yet? I want to go to McDonalds today... (serious question)
If you are EO, yes (from meat).  If you are OO, it depends on your tradition.  If you're RC, lol. 
 

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2013
Messages
6,854
Reaction score
56
Points
48
Age
51
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Unverifiable, so irrelevant
Asteriktos said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Asteriktos said:
Are we fasting yet? I want to go to McDonalds today... (serious question)
If you are EO, yes (from meat).  If you are OO, it depends on your tradition.  If you're RC, lol. 

Go have a nice Grilled Cheese sandwich somewhere......Panera makes a lovely one!
 

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Joined
Feb 28, 2008
Messages
5,182
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOA - Metropolis of Denver
Mor Ephrem said:
Asteriktos said:
Are we fasting yet? I want to go to McDonalds today... (serious question)
If you are EO, yes (from meat).  If you are OO, it depends on your tradition.  If you're RC, lol. 
I was impressed that our local grocery store has signs up for lenten items like in the fish section.
 

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
21,477
Reaction score
1,381
Points
113
Age
161
Location
Wandering Fool
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Mor Ephrem said:
Asteriktos said:
Are we fasting yet? I want to go to McDonalds today... (serious question)
If you are EO, yes (from meat).  If you are OO, it depends on your tradition.  If you're RC, lol. 
A co-worker (RC) of mine last year is quite the functioning alcoholic.  He gave up hard liquor for 40 days, but got drunk on beer all the time; and complained about not getting to drink whiskey.
 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
36,418
Reaction score
289
Points
83
Age
40
Location
New York!
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
hecma925 said:
A co-worker (RC) of mine last year is quite the functioning alcoholic.  He gave up hard liquor for 40 days, but got drunk on beer all the time; and complained about not getting to drink whiskey.
A true ascetic champion. 
 

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
21,477
Reaction score
1,381
Points
113
Age
161
Location
Wandering Fool
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Mor Ephrem said:
hecma925 said:
A co-worker (RC) of mine last year is quite the functioning alcoholic.  He gave up hard liquor for 40 days, but got drunk on beer all the time; and complained about not getting to drink whiskey.
A true ascetic champion. 
A very enlightening man.  I learned from him that you could show up to work drunk and, as long as you don't punch your boss out, get promoted.
 

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Joined
Sep 17, 2008
Messages
7,441
Reaction score
22
Points
38
Location
Missouri, USA
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
For Serbian Orthodox we just avoid wine, right? We can still have beer and liquor, right? Obviously abstinence, not fasting proper.
 

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Nov 7, 2007
Messages
16,707
Reaction score
662
Points
113
Location
Detroit
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
DeniseDenise said:
Go have a nice Grilled Cheese sandwich somewhere......Panera makes a lovely one!
Ha ha!  I just had one for lunch!!!

...and eggs will be dinner!
 

vamrat

Merarches
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
9,471
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
37
Location
Omaha
Faith
Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of New Gracanica
Alveus Lacuna said:
For Serbian Orthodox we just avoid wine, right? We can still have beer and liquor, right? Obviously abstinence, not fasting proper.
The calendar shows grapes.  I did not see a single barley, hop, or other grain shown.  No wine, no brandy, no cognac.

Surely in it's mercy the church would not deny us bread and water in the fast, and that is precisely what beer is.
 

vamrat

Merarches
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
9,471
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
37
Location
Omaha
Faith
Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of New Gracanica
Asteriktos said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Asteriktos said:
Are we fasting yet? I want to go to McDonalds today... (serious question)
If you are EO, yes (from meat).  If you are OO, it depends on your tradition.  If you're RC, lol.  
Cheese is ok today.  Get a fishburger.  Once the fast is on, Arby's fishburger doesn't have cheese and tastes better than the BK one.
 

vamrat

Merarches
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
9,471
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
37
Location
Omaha
Faith
Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of New Gracanica
Mor Ephrem said:
vamrat said:
Most of the curries I have eaten are of the Vietnamese/Thai variety with coconut milk:
I don't know much about crock pot cooking, but you can definitely add coconut milk to curry in general.  Your only problem would be if the spice combination doesn't jive with it.  I've mostly had it with southern Indian cuisine, which influenced Thai cuisine (which is why it works there too).  I don't think I've ever seen coconut milk added to a lentil curry, it's usually with meat.  It's worth a shot, though (I like coconut milk, I will pour it over certain native breakfast foods).  

one hellifiknow
That's the best.
Re: cococut milk curry with meat, I didn't care for it with shrimp, but with tofu it was pretty good.  I have developed a taste for tofu in certain dishes and it has been a lifesaver during the fast.  Red Curry with Tofu and Mongolian Fried Tofu have been staples when going out to eat.
 

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Joined
Nov 12, 2007
Messages
14,838
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Age
69
Location
Maryland
Jurisdiction
Rocor
vamrat said:
Asteriktos said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Asteriktos said:
Are we fasting yet? I want to go to McDonalds today... (serious question)
If you are EO, yes (from meat).  If you are OO, it depends on your tradition.  If you're RC, lol.  
Cheese is ok today.  Get a fishburger.  Once the fast is on, Arby's fishburger doesn't have cheese and tastes better than the BK one.
I had the BK fish today ( no bun) it wasnt good  :(

 

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Joined
Nov 12, 2007
Messages
14,838
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Age
69
Location
Maryland
Jurisdiction
Rocor
vamrat said:
Alveus Lacuna said:
For Serbian Orthodox we just avoid wine, right? We can still have beer and liquor, right? Obviously abstinence, not fasting proper.
The calendar shows grapes.  I did not see a single barley, hop, or other grain shown.  No wine, no brandy, no cognac.

Surely in it's mercy the church would not deny us bread and water in the fast, and that is precisely what beer is.
My Preist mentioned the other day that Beer in the Russian Tradition is considered like bread, not like wine.

It's a stepdown from vodka I guess.. Cant have too many folks in Church with the DT's
 

mabsoota

Archon
Joined
Jan 7, 2011
Messages
2,859
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox (Coptic)
i was hungry this evening (despite eating earlier in the day as well), so ate nearly half a cabbage and lots of lovely home made hummus!
feeling a bit bloated...
:p

must remember to take it easy, fasting is about more praying, not more cabbage eating!
;)
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Faith
DSM 5
Jurisdiction
Apostle to the Church of ASD
Marc1152 said:
vamrat said:
Asteriktos said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Asteriktos said:
Are we fasting yet? I want to go to McDonalds today... (serious question)
If you are EO, yes (from meat).  If you are OO, it depends on your tradition.  If you're RC, lol.  
Cheese is ok today.  Get a fishburger.  Once the fast is on, Arby's fishburger doesn't have cheese and tastes better than the BK one.
I had the BK fish today ( no bun) it wasnt good  :(
Tell us something we don't know.
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
40,135
Reaction score
612
Points
113
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Half a cabbage sounds like a penance, not a pleasure  ;)
 

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2013
Messages
6,854
Reaction score
56
Points
48
Age
51
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Unverifiable, so irrelevant
Asteriktos said:
Half a cabbage sounds like a penance, not a pleasure  ;)

Pleasure now....penance later..... :laugh:
 

jah777

Archon
Joined
May 29, 2008
Messages
2,153
Reaction score
7
Points
0
88Devin12 said:
orthonorm said:
If you fast, you cannot gain weight, in fact you will lose a lot*. IME, about 14-18% of body mass.

It is that simple. If you gain weight or don't lose a considerable amount, you are not fasting in any sense relative to food. Whether or not fasting from food matters is another question, as we can see many Orthodox manage to remain overweight, obese, etc, before, during, and after fasting periods.

I am thin and every time I've fasted I've struggled not to lose precious body mass.

And do yourself a favor and ignore everything marc posted. Don't worry about any of that nonsense, unless you have some serious autoimmune issues.

*Baring rare medical conditions, in which case you should see a doctor.
Fasting isn't "not eating" in Orthodoxy. Fasting is just not eating certain things.
Ah!  As I have said before, Orthodoxy in this country would look very different if the fasts were observed properly.

Fasting means that you abstain from certain foods and take a single meal that day in the evening.  Most people don't do this, but most people also do not become glorified saints.  I'm certainly not implying that fasting more strictly will alone lead you to theosis, but it would be a good start. 

Met Kallistos (Ware) explains the fasting rules in the introduction to the Lenten Triodion which can be found here:

http://philotimo-leventia.blogspot.com/2011/03/metropolitan-kallistos-on-fasting.html

Note the following:
[size=10pt](4) On weekdays (Monday to Friday inclusive) during the seven weeks of Lent, there are restrictions both on the number of meals taken daily and on the types of food permitted; but when a meal is allowed, there is no fixed limitation on the quantity of food to be eaten.

(b) On weekdays (Monday to Friday inclusive) in the second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth weeks, one meal a day is permitted, to be taken in the afternoon following Vespers, and at this one meal xerophagy is to be observed.
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Faith
DSM 5
Jurisdiction
Apostle to the Church of ASD
Asteriktos said:
Half a cabbage sounds like a penance, not a pleasure  ;)
Bacon grease, vinegar, and salt make for a huge improvement.
 

vamrat

Merarches
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
9,471
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
37
Location
Omaha
Faith
Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of New Gracanica
DeniseDenise said:
Asteriktos said:
Half a cabbage sounds like a penance, not a pleasure  ;)

Pleasure now....penance later..... :laugh:
There is a reason that fasting and farting are only one letter removed.  Fast enough in an enclosed area and soon you will see God.
 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
36,418
Reaction score
289
Points
83
Age
40
Location
New York!
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
jah777 said:
Ah!  As I have said before, Orthodoxy in this country would look very different if the fasts were observed properly.
And the last time you said that, I asked what you thought would be different.  ;)
 

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Joined
Sep 17, 2008
Messages
7,441
Reaction score
22
Points
38
Location
Missouri, USA
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
As others have mentioned in this thread, Christian fasting requirements in EO tend to focus on replacement or abstinence, with only a few days a year requiring a full fast. Full fasting days of no eating at all would include Great and Holy Friday, Clean Monday and some others I am forgetting. But I have hardly ever heard the "highest standard" of actual no-eating fasting during regular fasting days mentioned in any Orthodox circles. So can more knowledgeble people speak up and clarify some things for me?

As I understand it, the traditional Jewish practice for fasting which our tradition comes out of was to fast from sunrise to sunset, only taking food after the sun went down. I really don't know about waking up to eat before sunrise or how that worked. From there I have read these references to not eating until the 9th hour or 3pm, but then in other places I've heard the standard is sunset or the 12th hour/6pm. I honestly have no idea. Are these rooted in church canons, and if so, what are they? So I guess the ultimate ideal is no food until sunset, and then when food is taken it should be small portions of fruits, vegetables, beans, and breads/rices?

Also, how would that work with feast days like Annunciation falling during Lent? Would the fast during the day be lifted along with fish and wine being allowed, or should those only ideally be taken in after sunset?

I hope I don't seem like I'm being overly scrupulous. It's really just a curiosity of details rather than a personal obsessiveness regarding my own practices. I just like to know the norms and ideals to strive for. Any clarifications would be appreciated. Thanks!
 

vamrat

Merarches
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
9,471
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
37
Location
Omaha
Faith
Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of New Gracanica
elephant said:
vamrat said:
There is a reason that fasting and farting are only one letter removed. 
...help...spluttering...heehee...
So, during the fast do you have to give up peanuts?  Obviously your usual diet of hay is fast-kosher.  ;)
 

elephant

High Elder
Joined
Mar 17, 2011
Messages
692
Reaction score
1
Points
0
only if they are fried in lard
fa*ting is a daily routine for me!
 

jah777

Archon
Joined
May 29, 2008
Messages
2,153
Reaction score
7
Points
0
Mor Ephrem said:
jah777 said:
Ah!  As I have said before, Orthodoxy in this country would look very different if the fasts were observed properly.
And the last time you said that, I asked what you thought would be different.  ;)
I know.  ;)
 

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2006
Messages
37,280
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
50
Location
Portland, Oregon
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
vamrat said:
A lot of it is going to be portion control.  Keep that in mind.

Water is the best thing you can drink.

My friend's wife is a fitness nut and she eats that quinoa stuff.  Personally, I think it tastes like feces, but it is supposedly healthier than regular rice, and pasta.
You've eaten feces to know what they taste like? ???
 

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Joined
Nov 12, 2007
Messages
14,838
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Age
69
Location
Maryland
Jurisdiction
Rocor
PeterTheAleut said:
vamrat said:
A lot of it is going to be portion control.  Keep that in mind.

Water is the best thing you can drink.

My friend's wife is a fitness nut and she eats that quinoa stuff.  Personally, I think it tastes like feces, but it is supposedly healthier than regular rice, and pasta.
You've eaten feces to know what they taste like? ???
Lets not forget that insects are also Lenten...
 

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
21,477
Reaction score
1,381
Points
113
Age
161
Location
Wandering Fool
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Marc1152 said:
PeterTheAleut said:
vamrat said:
A lot of it is going to be portion control.  Keep that in mind.

Water is the best thing you can drink.

My friend's wife is a fitness nut and she eats that quinoa stuff.  Personally, I think it tastes like feces, but it is supposedly healthier than regular rice, and pasta.
You've eaten feces to know what they taste like? ???
Lets not forget that insects are also Lenten...
Are you implying that feces or quinoa is lenten?

 

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2013
Messages
6,854
Reaction score
56
Points
48
Age
51
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Unverifiable, so irrelevant
hecma925 said:
Marc1152 said:
PeterTheAleut said:
vamrat said:
A lot of it is going to be portion control.  Keep that in mind.

Water is the best thing you can drink.

My friend's wife is a fitness nut and she eats that quinoa stuff.  Personally, I think it tastes like feces, but it is supposedly healthier than regular rice, and pasta.
You've eaten feces to know what they taste like? ???
Lets not forget that insects are also Lenten...
Are you implying that feces or quinoa is lenten?
Wouldn't that depend on the diet of the emitting animal ?
 

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
21,477
Reaction score
1,381
Points
113
Age
161
Location
Wandering Fool
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
DeniseDenise said:
hecma925 said:
Marc1152 said:
PeterTheAleut said:
vamrat said:
A lot of it is going to be portion control.  Keep that in mind.

Water is the best thing you can drink.

My friend's wife is a fitness nut and she eats that quinoa stuff.  Personally, I think it tastes like feces, but it is supposedly healthier than regular rice, and pasta.
You've eaten feces to know what they taste like? ???
Lets not forget that insects are also Lenten...
Are you implying that feces or quinoa is lenten?
Wouldn't that depend on the diet of the emitting animal ?
So cow feces, yes?  Tiger feces, no?  You won't find quinoa in either of them.
 

vamrat

Merarches
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
9,471
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
37
Location
Omaha
Faith
Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of New Gracanica
PeterTheAleut said:
vamrat said:
A lot of it is going to be portion control.  Keep that in mind.

Water is the best thing you can drink.

My friend's wife is a fitness nut and she eats that quinoa stuff.  Personally, I think it tastes like feces, but it is supposedly healthier than regular rice, and pasta.
You've eaten feces to know what they taste like? ???
Waste not, want not.  Even if the waste in question is waste.
 

Cognomen

Archon
Site Supporter
Joined
Sep 14, 2010
Messages
2,182
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Archdiocese of Baghdad, Kuwait and Dependencies
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Wanderer, but in All the East
Marc1152 said:
My Preist mentioned the other day that Beer in the Russian Tradition is considered like bread, not like wine.
Ahh, wisdom from the Holy Russian Sophistdox Church.

Good point on the DT's though.  Got to keep it practical.
 
Top