• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Healthy Fasting

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
Cognomen said:
Marc1152 said:
My Preist mentioned the other day that Beer in the Russian Tradition is considered like bread, not like wine.
Ahh, wisdom from the Holy Russian Sophistdox Church.

Good point on the DT's though.  Got to keep it practical.
Beer: Orthodox Lenten Methadone™

arnI

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOA Metropolis of New Jersey
orthonorm said:
Asteriktos said:
Half a cabbage sounds like a penance, not a pleasure  ;)
Bacon grease, vinegar, and salt make for a huge improvement.

mabsoota

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox (Coptic)
the cabbage was nice, i slept ok.
just a bit too much garlic in it.
i cook it with plenty of onions and garlic and spices  :)

i get cravings for green vegetables sometimes.
i also get disapproving looks from my fat friends when i say that!
;)
sorry...

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
I love broccoli. Going to be funny to have it without butter. ;)

mabsoota

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox (Coptic)
fry onions (not too much!) and add broccoli and then a little water and some spices, especially pepper.
mint is good too with broccoli.

happy to find another vegetable lover
:)

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of New Gracanica
I posted this once, but here's the recepie after having done it.  I have been eating this all week and it is actually quite edible!

Vamrat's Vegetable Matter Substance

Insert all of these into a crock pot:

- 1 Yellow Onion (they make me cry less, substitute with red or onion as you prefer.)
- 2 Red Peppers (if I redid this I might use three)
- 1 Red Cabbage (use most of the head. You could probably use all since it cooks down a lot, but I though most of it was good enough.)
- 1 Anaheim and 1 Hellifiknow peper.  If you don't care for spicy just add another red or two.
- 3 cans Tomater Sauce
- 1 carton of vegetable stock
- Cumin and Corriander to taste, plus 30,000 BTUH of Cayenne.  (I use British Thermal Units because at this level, tsp/tbsp/kg are really just academic and require scientific notation.  In short, this should make your farts capable of heating a one car garage from design basis temperature to shirt-sleeve comfort in less than an hour. Use less if you care about still having a bunghole by Holy Week.)
- Half a jar of paprika.  I like paprika.  It really seals the deal.
- 7 cloves of garlic.  I like garlic.

I threw a splash of olive oil on top because, well, I do that sometime.  I even did it in a mixed drink once (don't ask).  Depending on how strict you keep things, just omit this. I don't know if it added anything, I just felt like I was missing something, and it seemed like what Jacques Pepin would have done at the time.

All in all, I really like this.  I have been eating it all week and haven't gotten sick of it or sick from it yet.  I will warn you, if you are in a new relationship then this might be an excessive amount of cabbage to subject her to but if it is long term or single, I highly recommend this.

mabsoota

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox (Coptic)
how long do u cook it for? what temperature?

i am off now to cook my brussels sprouts (like mini cabbages) in a similar way, possibly with ras al hanout (north african spice mix that tastes like cumin with cinnamon.
i am serving them with polenta (mămăliga in romanian - boiled coarse corn meal) and possibly some foul medammes (egyptian beans) from a tin.
the egyptian way of cooking beans is really slow and seems to reduce the gas emissions.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of New Gracanica
mabsoota said:
how long do u cook it for? what temperature?

i am off now to cook my brussels sprouts (like mini cabbages) in a similar way, possibly with ras al hanout (north african spice mix that tastes like cumin with cinnamon.
i am serving them with polenta (mămăliga in romanian - boiled coarse corn meal) and possibly some foul medammes (egyptian beans) from a tin.
the egyptian way of cooking beans is really slow and seems to reduce the gas emissions.
I ran it at high on the crock pot for a couple hours, after liturgy +20 minute drive home til 4ish, then on low until right before the walking dead starts (about 8ish).  I then added Mystery Meat (soy crumbles) and left on 'keep warm' until the show was over.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Oh.. I almost forgot. There is a well known nutritionist Dr. Chris Masterjohn who is Orthodox. He had promised to write a paper on healthy Orthodox fasting. I dont know if he has published it yet. Google him.
He did. It's a great article.