• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Help with a hymn

Pedro

Archon
Joined
Apr 28, 2004
Messages
2,833
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
41
Location
Greenville, SC
A hymn on youtube has me stumped.  I've picked out words I know, like "цар Давида" = King David; "Господи" and variants= Lord; "Алилуя" = Alleluia, but none of them seem to fit any hymns I can find for the feast.  Any help in translating this to English would be appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzsTVDmIXQo
 

mike

Protostrator
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
24,873
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
30
Location
Białystok / Warsaw
It's a megalinarion dedicated to the Nativity of Theotokos and after that there is added smething more. I think it's in Serbian.

English translation of first 40 seconds: megalinarion of the Nativity of Theotokos
 

Pedro

Archon
Joined
Apr 28, 2004
Messages
2,833
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
41
Location
Greenville, SC
Thanks for the start; anyone else?

Споми си, Госпоци, за цар Давида /
и за всичката му тъга, алилуя /
как той се е клел Господу /
няма да дам сън на очите си /
докле не намеря място на Господа.  Алилуя.
 

Pedro

Archon
Joined
Apr 28, 2004
Messages
2,833
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
41
Location
Greenville, SC
It's Bulgarian!  And one of my favorite psalms!  Thank you, Google Translator!

"Remember, Lord, King David /
and all his meekness, Hallelujah /
how he swore to the LORD /
'I will not give sleep to mine eyes /
till I find a place for the Lord.' Hallelujah."
 

wynd

High Elder
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
605
Reaction score
1
Points
18
Location
Republic of Texas
DavidBryan said:
It's Bulgarian!  And one of my favorite psalms!  Thank you, Google Translator!

"Remember, Lord, King David /
and all his meekness, Hallelujah /
how he swore to the LORD /
'I will not give sleep to mine eyes /
till I find a place for the Lord.' Hallelujah."
The subtitles may be, but the singing is definitely Slavonic.
 

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 13, 2009
Messages
8,025
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Age
75
Location
South Carolina
wynd said:
DavidBryan said:
It's Bulgarian!  And one of my favorite psalms!  Thank you, Google Translator!

"Remember, Lord, King David /
and all his meekness, Hallelujah /
how he swore to the LORD /
'I will not give sleep to mine eyes /
till I find a place for the Lord.' Hallelujah."
The subtitles may be, but the singing is definitely Slavonic.
You could say with much more justification: "The subtitles may be and the singing is naturally Slavonic." From the Wiki:

"Old Church Slavonic, also known as Old Bulgarian,[1][2][3] or Old Macedonian,[4][5][6] was the first literary Slavic language, based on the old Slavic dialect of the Thessalonica region, employed by the 9th century Byzantine Greek[7] missionaries, Saints Cyril and Methodius, who used it for translation of the Bible and other Ancient Greek ecclesiastical texts, and for some of their own writings. It played a great role in the history of Slavic languages and served as a basis and model for later Church Slavonic traditions, where Church Slavonic is used as a liturgical language to this day by some Orthodox and Greek-Catholic Churches of the Slavic peoples."

FYI: Services in most South and East Slavic Churches contain both the modern vernacular and Church Slavonic. Again from the Wiki: "Historically, this language is derived from Old Church Slavonic by adapting pronunciation and orthography and replacing some old and obscure words and expressions with their vernacular counterparts."

BTW, I am not familiar with the term "Slavonic singing." Do you instead mean "Slavic" singing? For example, the Bulgarian Church uses both Byzantine chanting/tones and tones and choral compositions from Slavic nations and and composers.
 

wynd

High Elder
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
605
Reaction score
1
Points
18
Location
Republic of Texas
Second Chance said:
BTW, I am not familiar with the term "Slavonic singing." Do you instead mean "Slavic" singing? For example, the Bulgarian Church uses both Byzantine chanting/tones and tones and choral compositions from Slavic nations and and composers.
Sorry. I meant Slavonic singing, as in "the actual words being sung in the audio recording are in the Church Slavonic language" -- as opposed to the visual subtitles which appear to be in Bulgarian.
 
Top