• Christ is Risen!
  • Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Hermeneutic For The Sermon On The Mount

Bizzlebin

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
jbt.name
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Geek
I'm aware of the general patristic interpretations on the Sermon On The Mount (Matthew 5–7), but I am looking for more detail as to *how* each particular teaching is grouped and understood. For example, the famous segment about eye plucking and hand chopping (5.29–30) is understood figuratively and the teaching on loving one's enemies is understood literally (5.43–48), yet both use the same narrative structure ("You have heard that it was said to those of old...But I say to you" (OSB/NKJV)) and are not otherwise very different in form. So, does anyone know of any patristic commentary that is not about any of His teachings in particular but on what textually *distinguishes* a figurative from a literal one? Thanks!