• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Heterodox images

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
I have to agree with LBK on this. Most examples in this threads are not statues in the sense that RCs have. Aside from the one of WR St. Michael's the picture below are the only examples of actual Orthodox statues that I've seen.

Holy Trinity church, Helsinki.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
The difference here is that the angel statues above the iconostas are decorative, and not meant to be venerated.

The RC carry their statues in procession around the church and down the streets, as Orthodox do with our icons.

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Partially-overlapping
Alpo said:
I have to agree with LBK on this. Most examples in this threads are not statues in the sense that RCs have.
No one is arguing that statues have the same sort of proliferation in the EO as in the RCC. Where we differ with LBK is why.

It is the same as when the untaught say: "We don't use musical instruments in Orthodoxy because nothing is more beautiful than the human voice." They are taking a complex historical coincident and tacking on an ad hoc theological justification for it late in the game.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
LizaSymonenko said:
Antonis said:
Iconodule said:
LBK rehashes the same arguments against statues again and again. The weakness of her reasoning is borne out  in this thread among others: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,55949.0.html
The foundations of these arguments are often no older than the 20th century and do not have Patristic basis.
I'm not so sure about that.

The whole iconoclasm thing was in the 8th century, no?  We won back the use of icons...but, nowhere were statues mentioned.  On the Sunday of Orthodoxy (first Sunday of Great Lent) we stand in church reverently holding icons, not statues.

The oldest surviving Orthodox churches reveal bits and pieces of icons on their walls, either painted, or mosaics.  Even the catacombs still have ancient simple icons etched/painted on their walls.  No statues, if they existed, survive.

You would think that if the ancient churches utilized statues, they would still exist.  Roman Catholic ones do....where are the Orthodox statues of old?  Not in any museum that I have visited.

Makes one ponder the history of statues used in Orthodox churches, doesn't it?
You do realize how weak the argument from silence is? It may make a good foundation for our understanding of why we don't have statues in our churches (because we never have), but it can hardly be used as any justification for a dogmatic opposition to statues.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
PeterTheAleut said:
LizaSymonenko said:
Antonis said:
Iconodule said:
LBK rehashes the same arguments against statues again and again. The weakness of her reasoning is borne out  in this thread among others: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,55949.0.html
The foundations of these arguments are often no older than the 20th century and do not have Patristic basis.
I'm not so sure about that.

The whole iconoclasm thing was in the 8th century, no?  We won back the use of icons...but, nowhere were statues mentioned.  On the Sunday of Orthodoxy (first Sunday of Great Lent) we stand in church reverently holding icons, not statues.

The oldest surviving Orthodox churches reveal bits and pieces of icons on their walls, either painted, or mosaics.  Even the catacombs still have ancient simple icons etched/painted on their walls.  No statues, if they existed, survive.

You would think that if the ancient churches utilized statues, they would still exist.  Roman Catholic ones do....where are the Orthodox statues of old?  Not in any museum that I have visited.

Makes one ponder the history of statues used in Orthodox churches, doesn't it?
You do realize how weak the argument from silence is? It may make a good foundation for our understanding of why we don't have statues in our churches (because we never have), but it can hardly be used as any justification for a dogmatic opposition to statues.
Well...I have never studied dogma and therefore, am merely commenting from my limited knowledge on these things.  ;)

I'm not all that opposed to statuary....it is just that from my experience I've not seen it used in Orthodox churches anywhere, and therefore, I will oppose their use, unless I am convinced otherwise.  ;)

...and secondly...Christ left us with an "icon" of His image (2-D)...not a statue.    :angel:

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
LizaSymonenko said:
...and secondly...Christ left us with an "icon" of His image (2-D)...not a statue.    :angel:
But humans are the icons of the image of God, that image being Jesus Christ...

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
NicholasMyra said:
Alpo said:
I have to agree with LBK on this. Most examples in this threads are not statues in the sense that RCs have.
No one is arguing that statues have the same sort of proliferation in the EO as in the RCC. Where we differ with LBK is why.

It is the same as when the untaught say: "We don't use musical instruments in Orthodoxy because nothing is more beautiful than the human voice." They are taking a complex historical coincident and tacking on an ad hoc theological justification for it late in the game.
It's as simplistic to say that "Hey, we have this online pic of something that looks like a bas-relief so let's add this cute baby Jesus into our altar".  ;)

I can't say pretty much anything on why we don't have statues but I can say that a few online pics is a poor argument for having them.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Alpo said:
I can't say pretty much anything on why we don't have statues but I can say that a few online pics is a poor argument for having them.
How about the most famous defender of icons in Church history mentioning their use and defending them? ;)

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Asteriktos said:
Alpo said:
How about the most famous defender of icons in Church history mentioning their use and defending them? ;)
Well good for him. :p Like I said, I don't really have beef in this fight other than silly arguments being silly.

Sleeper

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Theophania said:
Do WRO ever have statues in their churches?
We do. My parish has a shrine to Our Lady of Walsingham. I kiss her feet, light candles before her, and otherwise treat it like I would the icons that are present as well.

JoeS2

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Its a personal thing.  If you want to pray before a stature of the Blessed Virgin I can see no real reason not to pray.... geeze.