• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Hiding on OC.net

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Since I've been on OC.net, I've repeatedly seen a phenomenon I can't figure out.  Sometimes posters will be shown as "1 hidden" or "2 hidden" or whatever.  Other times I've noticed that there are posters who post and it NEVER shows them as even being online.  Can anyone explain this to me?  And, can anyone explain why someone would feel the need (?) to remain "hidden"?

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
There's an option under your account settings that says "Show your online status?" that you can uncheck. I think that's what makes you "hidden".

As for why someone would want to, I couldn't say because until this thread I've never cared enough to go find out how to do it.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sneaky little weasels not wanting others to know what they're browsing. Sneak, sneak. 8)

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Shiny said:
Because why do you care who views what?
Only speaking for myself... because I'm nosy like that.

Besides, that's what 'Who's Online' is for. Us nosy people.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
ZealousZeal said:
There's an option under your account settings that says "Show your online status?" that you can uncheck. I think that's what makes you "hidden".
Correct!

As to why: we don't ask that question, so I don't know the answer.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
ZealousZeal said:

As for why someone would want to, I couldn't say because until this thread I've never cared enough to go find out how to do it.
Thanks, ZZ!! ;)

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
When my PM limit is raised I might consider being visible. I don't block PMs, I probably should, I just get a kick out of the rage PMs I get.

But everything that matters gets buried and it doesn't alert my email anymore, so PMs here are becoming less useful unless I happen to be logged in when I get them.

Reaction score
I've never used the 'hidden' function on OCnet, but have used it on other forums previously.  I don't think it's necessarily for sneakers or lurkers.  I just think some people don't like the idea of websites telling on them.  It's kind of 'big brother-ish,' if you think about it.  Who needs to know what forum you're in or what thread you're reading?  FB is notoriously telling on its users.  'Like' a page or comment on someone's wall post or even drive from one city to another or attend an event, and FB tells everybody.  I think maybe that sort of thing is starting to creep some people out.  When you go to the library, do you announce to everyone, "Okay, I'm heading over into Art History, and then I'm going to check out some plumbing books in Home Improvement, and then I'm going to hit the Self Help section.  I'll be back later to show you all the books I selected."  Nobody does this. 

I think those who choose to be 'hidden' in here just don't want their movements monitored and reported to everyone else that's online.  It's a question of creepiness rather than subterfuge or deceit.  They just want their privacy.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
It's my constitutional right to spy on observe people!

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
newtoorthodoxy said:
I've never used the 'hidden' function on OCnet, but have used it on other forums previously.  I don't think it's necessarily for sneakers or lurkers.  I just think some people don't like the idea of websites telling on them.  It's kind of 'big brother-ish,' if you think about it.  Who needs to know what forum you're in or what thread you're reading?  FB is notoriously telling on its users.  'Like' a page or comment on someone's wall post or even drive from one city to another or attend an event, and FB tells everybody.  I think maybe that sort of thing is starting to creep some people out.  When you go to the library, do you announce to everyone, "Okay, I'm heading over into Art History, and then I'm going to check out some plumbing books in Home Improvement, and then I'm going to hit the Self Help section.  I'll be back later to show you all the books I selected."  Nobody does this. 

I think those who choose to be 'hidden' in here just don't want their movements monitored and reported to everyone else that's online.  It's a question of creepiness rather than subterfuge or deceit.  They just want their privacy.
Started doing it simply cause certain people just couldn't not not PM if they saw me. I could use the "I didn't see you PM excuse" for ignoring them then.

Instead, like the fool I am, I gave them GPS coordinates to my house and my sequenced DNA instead.

Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
It's my constitutional right to spy on observe people!

Exactly.  So I won't question the motives of people/posters who choose to go hidden.  That kind of stuff is just creepy creepy. 

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Oh look! I turned navy. I wasn't a fan of the green.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
J Michael said:
Since I've been on OC.net, I've repeatedly seen a phenomenon I can't figure out.  Sometimes posters will be shown as "1 hidden" or "2 hidden" or whatever.  Other times I've noticed that there are posters who post and it NEVER shows them as even being online.  Can anyone explain this to me?  And, can anyone explain why someone would feel the need (?) to remain "hidden"?
Its the moderator panel and admin panel that lets you "look" at online activity. Nothing personal If you really want privacy get off the Internet and go back to the Old-Fashioned ways.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
WPM said:
J Michael said:
Its the moderator panel and admin panel that lets you "look" at online activity.
No. It's here: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?action=who

BTW hiding doesn't work on mods  :police:

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
orthonorm said:
Started doing it simply cause certain people just couldn't not not PM if they saw me. I could use the "I didn't see you PM excuse" for ignoring them then.

Instead, like the fool I am, I gave them GPS coordinates to my house and my sequenced DNA instead.
Now that is foolish.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
orthonorm said:

Now that is foolish.
Hey once people can pick up a bottle I throw out and take the DNA from my saliva on the lid, and clone me the world is over!

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
I for one am just glad that this thread is about hidden users. When I saw the title I thought it was going to be about people like me who hide from reality by posting here. Thankfully that was not the case!

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I seriously must have no life if I know who is hidden and which posters those are who are viewing a particular thread.