• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

History Question (Greece & Serbia under Turkokratia)

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I've been researching and compiling a personal database of various churches and monasteries around Christendom, mainly those of a historic/ancient origin, but including more "recent" ones as well.

Something I've noticed is that there was a very large boom in Greece where dozens (over 40) monasteries were founded in Greece between the 17th and 19th Centuries (1600-1800 CE). Where did these monasteries get their funding from? Most of them are in the Peloponnese and I assume that most were in reaction to the Turkish rule in Greece at the time, but how could they found them so close to so many cities under Turkish control without the Turks attacking and destroying them? Was there a relatively lenient Turkish ruler in power at the time, either locally or regionally? The time period we are talking about is from about 1600 CE to the mid to late 1700s.

By this point in history, we are 150 years divorced from the fall of Constantinople, and most of Greece had fallen under Turkish rule with a few areas (mainly the islands, which didn't seem to be part of this boom) under Italian control. What circumstances brought on this boom in construction of monasteries? Where did they get their funding? Did the Turks allow this or was it an escape from them?

Interestingly, I've also noticed that a lot of monasteries in Serbia were also constructed close to this time period, but mainly from about 1500 to the late 1600s rather than 1600 to the late 1700s like in Greece. In fact, Serbia's main monastic boom period seems to have taken place around their fall to the Turks, (during and after Nemanjic rule) and for 100 years after (1300s to late 1400s). Is there any connection?

Lastly, just an interesting note, Greece seems to have undergone two major monastic boom periods. The first was between the late 900s (Mt. Athos) to the late 1100s. The second was between the early 1600s to the late 1700s. Obviously the first was during the Roman Empire and financed by it, the second was under Turkish rule, but I can't imagine they financed it.

Can anyone help explain the later boom period in Greek monasticism?

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Seems like population surges and activity that sometimes go extinct.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Monasteries in Athos were funded by the Czars of Russia, the kings of Wallachia and Orthodox nobles everywhere, guided by that old principle of noblesse oblige. The same is probably true with those monasteries in the Peloponnese.