• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Holy Trinity Parish in Dearborn, MI, closes doors. :(

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
This Saturday I attended the parish's 75th anniversary.  His Grace Bishop Daniel was there to celebrate with them.

We returned the following day, Sunday, for their final Divine Liturgy.  

Read story here:
http://uocofusa.org/news_140622_1.html

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
Those are beautiful vestments.

Gorazd

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
7 Councils
Jurisdiction
First without Equals
I didn't even know there was such a thing as a church in Dearborn, I always thought it was a Muslim place.
Why did the parish close?

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Faith
Episcopal
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Florida
I has a sad.  :'(

(The parish website is still up, though.)

http://holytrinitydearborn.com/

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
They closed for a number of reasons. 

Gorazd is correct.  They are surrounded by Muslims now, as Dearborn supports the largest population of Muslims, outside the Arabian Peninsula.

However, more than that is the local "Detroit" economy.  It's bad.  People had to move away to find work, and this left the tiny parish emptier each year.

In 2010 Bishop Daniel visited and tried to give them ideas on how to grow the tiny parish family, reach out to the neighbors, the nursing home up the street, etc.  None of it seemed to work.

It was a Ukrainian parish, however, all the parishioners were American born, English speakers, cradles and converts.  The services were all in English, so, it wasn't an "ethnic" thing.

The property has already been sold and will be revamped into a banquet facility.  It already has a "stage".  :(

All the icons and religious items were donated to a parish in Windsor, Ontario that was just starting up. All other items, will also find a home in a different church.

The bishop already took the antimens with him, and the altar table was taken apart to see if any relic was encased.

End of a chapter.

Aram

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Armenian Orthodox
Gorazd said:
I didn't even know there was such a thing as a church in Dearborn, I always thought it was a Muslim place.
Dearborn is an extremely multi-faith city. Try this on for size:

From left to right, Warrendale Community Church (used to be Lutheran, I think?), St. Clement Bulgarian Orthodox Church, Islamic Center of America, and in the corner, St. Sarkis Armenian Church.

xOrthodox4Christx

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Catholic Church
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
Gorazd said:
lol It's an Arab place. There are Catholics and Orthodox there. From the Levant more than anything I believe.

Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
The bishop already took the antimens with him, and the altar table was taken apart to see if any relic was encased.

End of a chapter.
Isn't there always meant to be a relic of some sort within the altar table in order for it to be used for services? Or is that more of a "preferred custom" type of situation? Not in the context of a newly-formed mission chapel, I mean.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Aram said:
Gorazd said:

From left to right, Warrendale Community Church (used to be Lutheran, I think?), St. Clement Bulgarian Orthodox Church, Islamic Center of America, and in the corner, St. Sarkis Armenian Church.
I've been to St. Clement a number of times! 

That mosque is huge. They told me it was built by a Saudi prince.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
icecreamsandwich said:
Isn't there always meant to be a relic of some sort within the altar table in order for it to be used for services? Or is that more of a "preferred custom" type of situation? Not in the context of a newly-formed mission chapel, I mean.
Newly-formed parishes and missions only need an antimension on their altars. Once they grow to the point of being able to support themselves, the altar is then consecrated, which includes embedding a holy relic within it.

Avdima

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Seeking
Jurisdiction
Caliphate of The Overthere...
LizaSymonenko said:
Aram said:
Gorazd said:

I have to kindly disagree with that, the Mosque is Shia and the Sunni Saudis are very hostile towards them. A group from that mosque was attacked during Hajj in Saudi Arabia for being Shia. I passed by that mosque a few times every week, I lived in Dearborn from 1999 to 2012. 

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Gorazd said:
As pointed out, there are several churches, including Orthodox Churches, in Dearborn and around. The majority of Arabs in the US are Christian.  In Dearborn, I'm not sure, but they are definitely not absent.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Avdima said:
LizaSymonenko said:
Aram said:
Gorazd said:

I have to kindly disagree with that, the Mosque is Shia and the Sunni Saudis are very hostile towards them. A group from that mosque was attacked during Hajj in Saudi Arabia for being Shia. I passed by that mosque a few times every week, I lived in Dearborn from 1999 to 2012. 
I don't know. That's what I was told. I never cared enough to research it.

All I know is that it was uncomfortable to have the crescent moon higher than the cross. ;)

However, I think they are all good neighbors. I haven't heard of any issues among them.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
LizaSymonenko said:
Dearborn supports the largest population of Muslims, outside the Arabian Peninsula.
Huh?

R

Raylight

LizaSymonenko said:
This Saturday I attended the parish's 75th anniversary.  His Grace Bishop Daniel was there to celebrate with them.

Read story here:

It is sad when a Church shut down. All the memories, the festivals, the Sundays liturgies...etc. And what make it more sad is when the people kept leaving one after another until the Church was left alone  :(

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
Mor Ephrem said:
ialmisry said:
The majority of Arabs in the US are Christian. 
I did not know that!
Because they actually have a stronger reason to leave their home countries

Avdima

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Seeking
Jurisdiction
Caliphate of The Overthere...
Raylight said:
LizaSymonenko said:
This Saturday I attended the parish's 75th anniversary.  His Grace Bishop Daniel was there to celebrate with them.

Read story here:

It is sad when a Church shut down. All the memories, the festivals, the Sundays liturgies...etc. And what make it more sad is when the people kept leaving one after another until the Church was left alone  :(
I think it is changes in the demographics, that general area is becoming even more Arab, with a lot of Iraqis moving into Warrendale, As Warrendale had a lot of Polish and a few Ukrainians living there at one time. There are alot of Yemenis in southwest Detroit now and the surrounding downriver area becoming more Hispanic. 

kijabeboy03

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Alexandrian Orthodox Church Abroad
Such a sadness :-(. I wish I'd known it was there, I would have tried to visit when I lived in Michigan.

LizaSymonenko said:
They are surrounded by Muslims now, as Dearborn supports the largest population of Muslims, outside the Arabian Peninsula.
That can't be right - the countries with the highest Muslim populations in the world are Indonesia, Pakistan, India, and Bangladesh, none of which are in the Arabian Peninsula (or Michigan :) ).

frjohnmorris

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
ialmisry said:
Gorazd said:
As pointed out, there are several churches, including Orthodox Churches, in Dearborn and around. The majority of Arabs in the US are Christian.  In Dearborn, I'm not sure, but they are definitely not absent.
I believe that our large Antiochian Orthodox Arabic speaking parish in Livonia is close to Dearborn.

Fr. John W. Morris

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
kijabeboy03 said:
Such a sadness :-(. I wish I'd known it was there, I would have tried to visit when I lived in Michigan.

LizaSymonenko said:
They are surrounded by Muslims now, as Dearborn supports the largest population of Muslims, outside the Arabian Peninsula.
That can't be right - the countries with the highest Muslim populations in the world are Indonesia, Pakistan, India, and Bangladesh, none of which are in the Arabian Peninsula (or Michigan :) ).
Dearborn had the second largest Arab population, outside of the Middle East. That's a fact.

However, as stated above, not all Arabs are Muslims. We have two rather large Antiochian Orthodox parishes, and also a large number of RC Chaldeans.

We also have some of the best Middle Eastern restaurants!  Yum.