Horoscope

Skydive

High Elder
Reaction score
Why is it wrong to believe in horoscope? Do you believe in Horoscope? In India they make arranged weddings based on the horoscope maps.

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cast adrift in a lifeboat of the SS Aurora
Because it's a dangerous occult practice that has been prohibited since the Old Testament.  I can vouch from personal experience that it is something best left alone.  You should not even read the alleged meanings of various "signs."  Of someone says something like "I'm a Gemini, what are you?", you should reply, "An Orthodox Christian."

Also, the Zodiac is heavily based on ancient Babylonian religion.  But inaccuracies in their system of reckoning dates combined with the movement of the Earth (during the time of the ancient Egyptians, Thuban was the pole star, presently it's Polaris, but within a millenia or two it will be Vega, so we're constantly moving even in terms of our pole star, due to the natural  movement of star systems orbiting the Milky Way), means that what people think their astrological sign is, and what it actually is, are quite different.

But as one Church Father pointed out, it's lusicrous to suggest that the Stars have any influence on our daily lives.  Their motion is static and according to natural laws.  Two men born in the same place at the same time will live radically different lives. 

The reason why Astrology is dangerous is because it's wrong.  People who make decisions based on it are simply being idiotic; you might as well use a divining rod or the I Ching.  As far as I'm concerned, augury, which is also forbidden, would be more likely to reflect the will of the gods or of a deity, because they could surely influence birds to move in a certain pattern, whereas the movement of celestial bodies is fixed.  But augury is also nonsense; Cicero himself was strongly of that view but supported it anyway as a check and balance against demagoguery, and he decried the routine cheating of Roman augurs when inauspicious events occurred.

Divination, necromancy, and sorcery are forbidden to Christians and were forbidden to Jews (I am of the opinion, shared by a dwindling minority of Orthodox Jews, and the sola scriptura Karaite Jews, that the Kabbala is actually a violation of the Torah).  Astrology should be condemned as a relic of primitive Babylonian and Hindu superstition and despised accordingly.

Interestingly astrology plays a huge role in the Mandaean religion, and at one time was apparently an important part of Zoroastrianism.  The Mandaeans show a clear influence from Babylonian mythology in their view of the seven planets and twelve Zodiac signs as evil influences that have to be mitigated and worked around, and their astrology is intended to do that.  Their priests and "treasurers" or bishops use astrology to devise a secret name for each Mandaean which if Emory serves is given to them around adolescence and used subsequently between themselves and the priests.  The Mandaeans are of course the last surviving Gnostics, who revere John the Baptist and consider our Lord to have been a false prophet.

eddybear

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
A while back there was an ad on TV (trying to sell an expensive brand of car by encouraging people to embrace their  uniqueness, which getting said car would give them) which said something like "There are 60 million people in the UK and 12 star signs. How can 5 million people have the same day?". Horoscopes are at best complete nonsense - but  at worst a dangerous occult practice as wgw has described.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
eddybear said:
"There are 60 million people in the UK and 12 star signs. How can 5 million people have the same day?"
:D @ maths fail.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I'm a Scorpio born Oct/5th

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Why would anyone want to base their decisions on a bunch of rocks and gas that move around on account of gravity?  I am off to Church. . .

Skydive

High Elder
Reaction score
How come Horoscopes are so accurate then? I mean the personal ones?

What do you have in the Church that tops that?

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Skydive said:

Because they might feel true for just about everyone.  They are usually vague enough that it makes you feel as if they are talking about you.  They're nothing more than clever pieces of writing that offers no true help in one's life, and is dangerous if you feel so attached to horoscopes as if to depend on them in your life.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Skydive said:
Are they? Have you had yours done?

Skydive said:
Learning to trust God and deal with things as they come. :) Classical literature is full of stories of people trying to dodge omens and making a worse mess of things.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Skydive said:

When my oldest uncle was born, his Orthodox parents had some Hindu priest/astrologer draw up what I suppose you could call his personal horoscope: a presentation of his entire life, from birth to death, based on the star(s) under which he was born.  According to that, he should've died over ten years ago. 

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
Because they might feel true for just about everyone.  They are usually vague enough that it makes you feel as if they are talking about you.  They're nothing more than clever pieces of writing that offers no true help in one's life, and is dangerous if you feel so attached to horoscopes as if to depend on them in your life.
+++

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Skydive said:

When my oldest uncle was born, his Orthodox parents had some Hindu priest/astrologer draw up what I suppose you could call his personal horoscope
Is that a common practice among Indian OOs and/or Indian Christians in general?

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Alpo said:
It's not unheard of, which is less rare than (the Church and) I'd prefer, but I don't know if I'd say it was common.  It wasn't done for any of my uncle's siblings AFAIK, so even in a single family it was an oddity.    Some people are superstitious, or are superstitious some of the time. 

They tell more stories about an aunt who would chase away snakes with holy water than they do about horoscopes. 

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Egyptians (Muslim or Christian, doesn't matter) also has those psychics and horoscope ladies, more common in the villages where education is less.  It is very popular you see old ladies come around to try to read people's horoscopes from the remains of their Turkish coffee (the last part that you can't drink).  What remains among most Egyptian people now is a ridicule of this practice rather than taking it seriously.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I recall somewhere in St. John Damascene that he was open to the idea of the stars influencing life on earth in various ways. What is not acceptable is any idea that the stars control our destinies, or that they are deities of some sort.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Skydive said:

They're not.

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
Egyptians (Muslim or Christian, doesn't matter) also has those psychics and horoscope ladies, more common in the villages where education is less.  It is very popular you see old ladies come around to try to read people's horoscopes from the remains of their Turkish coffee (the last part that you can't drink).  What remains among most Egyptian people now is a ridicule of this practice rather than taking it seriously.
Not my experience. Maybe they should use Greek Coffee and only under the auspices of a Greek Orthodox Church festival. Just saying, clairvoyance is not necessarily limited to monks.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Skydive said:
Why is it wrong to believe in horoscope? Do you believe in Horoscope? In India they make arranged weddings based on the horoscope maps.
I used to read them quite seriously in childhood, than just for fun. But now I avoid reading them even as a kind of entertainment, as I it has some connections with magic (e. i. demonic powers) and relying on things  instead of God.

Surely, in villages, even in Orthodox countries and regions, you will meet old grannies foretelling or do similar things, as minasoliman wrote about Egypt, but it doesn't mean it's a proper thing.

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Skydive said:

When my oldest uncle was born, his Orthodox parents had some Hindu priest/astrologer draw up what I suppose you could call his personal horoscope: a presentation of his entire life, from birth to death, based on the star(s) under which he was born.  According to that, he should've died over ten years ago.
Would you happen to know if that Hindu Priest was a Shrauta Brahmin?  Astrology is widespread in Hinduism but the Shrautas, who are native to Kerala, are interesting in that they orimarily if not exclusively follow the Vedas, which feature a pantheon that is quite different from the familiar Brahman / Shiva / Vishnu / Durga/Kali/Smarti / Ganesha set that predominates; the philosophy of Advaita vedanta is absent.  It's a religion that is more ritualistic and almost like a polar opposite of Zoroastrianism; both faiths however share the ritual fire ceremonies, a hereditary caste of priests, the use of a ritual seam or cord, and a heavy focus on astrology, which also ties them into ancient Babylonian religion and Mandaean Gnosticism, and to a degree, the faith of the Yazidis.

I would be thrilled if your uncle received that from a Shrauta, as they are a dying breed and preserve the most ancient practice of Hinduism.  I would also be fascinated to compare their astrological scheme with the Babylonian or Chaldean system we know in the West, but alas you probably don't have that much information on it.  But Id still like to know what Hindu sect the astrologer belonged to, if you don't mind a personal question.

Czar Lazar

Elder
Reaction score
Opus118 said:
minasoliman said:
Not my experience. Maybe they should use Greek Coffee and only under the auspices of a Greek Orthodox Church festival. Just saying, clairvoyance is not necessarily limited to monks.
In bold: this is a custom common amongst some Serbian Orthodox as well (I imagaine it is probaly the case under most of the former Ottoman Empire's domain.)

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Something like this was also part of a Hercule Poirot novel by Dame Agatha Christie, which was among the first to be filmed with David Suchet.

Only in that case I believe it involved the residue in a tea glass.

It strikes me how relatively refined and culturally delicate such forms of divination are compared to, for example, the Roman practice of taking the haruspices, which in modern times would not be an acceptable thing to do in polite company.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
wgw said:
Something like this was also part of a Poirot novel, which was among the first to be filmed with David Suchet.
What does this have to do with the OP?  :eek: :eek:

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
But Pumbaa was wrong.  Some of the most spectacular stars are not exploding gas but pulsars or other stellar phenomena.  And technically, although they often are burning noble gases on the periodic scale, especially helium, which is what blue Giants and red Giants are fusing, the gas in question is a highly energized plasma.  Spheres of plasma fusing to produce denser elements.  Pumbaa has annoyed me with that remark ever since I was seven, so I have grown up with a profound contempt for that pompous, ignorant little warthog.  :p  :)

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
wgw said:
Pumbaa has annoyed me with that remark ever since I was seven, so I have grown up with a profound contempt for that pompous, ignorant little warthog.  :p  :)
I take it that snarky, know-it-all meerkats are more your type? :p ;)

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
By the way I'm just waiting for a new pseudoscientific astrology based on determining the impact of trace amounts of gamma radiation from distant suns, the motion of neutrinos, and the results of solar flares, on human behavior and human destiny.

The only extent to which astronomical occurrences seem to effect humans is the obsession some people have with alignments, the obvious impact of the day/night cycle and the seasonal changes to it, especially in the far North, and the increased amount of unpleasant behavior when there is a full moon.

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
wgw said:
But Pumbaa was wrong.  Some of the most spectacular stars are not exploding gas but pulsars or other stellar phenomena.  And technically, although they often are burning noble gases on the periodic scale, especially helium, which is what blue Giants and red Giants are fusing, the gas in question is a highly energized plasma.  Spheres of plasma fusing to produce denser elements.  Pumbaa has annoyed me with that remark ever since I was seven, so I have grown up with a profound contempt for that pompous, ignorant little warthog.  :p  :)
You don't really do humor, do you?

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Arachne said:
wgw said:
Pumbaa has annoyed me with that remark ever since I was seven, so I have grown up with a profound contempt for that pompous, ignorant little warthog.  :p  :)
I take it that snarky, know-it-all meerkats are more your type? :p ;)
No, I hated Timon with a passion unrelenting.

I was rather a fan of the evil lion, whose name I forget, who had a martial dignity and who was able to instill discipline even among the jackals, which shows that he had a true heart of iron, to be able to accomplish such a supreme feat of military leadership; truly, a worthy successor of Sun Tzu.  And he did not forget to review them with a March past in the manner of any Soviet premier.  :p

I of course jest.  Simba and Nala were my preferred characters, as one would expect from a seven year old.

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Jonathan Gress said:
wgw said:
You don't really do humor, do you?
I do when it's humorous.  To paraphrase a line from Gosford Park.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
wgw said:
I was rather a fan of the evil lion, whose name I forget, who had a martial dignity and who was able to instill discipline even among the jackals, which shows that he had a true heart of iron, to be able to accomplish such a supreme feat of military leadership; truly, a worthy successor of Sun Tzu.  And he did not forget to review them with a March past in the manner of any Soviet premier.  :p
Jeremy Irons can excuse any villainy. :p

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
I recall somewhere in St. John Damascene that he was open to the idea of the stars influencing life on earth in various ways. What is not acceptable is any idea that the stars control our destinies, or that they are deities of some sort.
Ah and this is why Scorpios rule, I'm ultimately in control of my own destiny.

Now If I could mesh dark triad traits with Scorpio's strengths/weaknesses, watch out world!

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Alpo said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Skydive said:

When my oldest uncle was born, his Orthodox parents had some Hindu priest/astrologer draw up what I suppose you could call his personal horoscope
Not in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. The EOTC strongly forbids any dabbling in astrology.

Selam