• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Horse tacos, sans kimchi

KBN1

High Elder
Reaction score
I have some horse in my freezer.  I will give it a shot and let you know.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Evidently TheTri has a troublesome mare on his hands.....

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Add some worcesterhorseshire sauce or horseradish to give it some kick!

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
J Michael said:
By popular demand. 

And good recipes?  Remember-- NO.  KIMCHI.  (Sauerkraut permitted.)
Ah, two sides of the same coin separated by oceans and miles and miles of God's earth.  I'll oblige:

1 horse tenderloin
salt
black pepper
cumin
cayenne pepper
onion
garlic

Thinly slice tenderloin and season as you wish.  Sautee chopped garlic and onion and sear tenderloin quickly.  Place cooked tenderloin onto a warmed (preferably on a comal) corn tortilla.  Add fresh chopped cilanto and onion.  Add sauces or hot peppers if you so desire.  Do not add hay.  To drink: Victoria beer or Dos XX Amber.  A wedge of lime, too.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
J Michael said:
By popular demand. 

And good recipes?  Remember-- NO.  KIMCHI.  (Sauerkraut permitted.)
Ah, two sides of the same coin separated by oceans and miles and miles of God's earth.  I'll oblige:

1 horse tenderloin
salt
black pepper
cumin
cayenne pepper
onion
garlic

Thinly slice tenderloin and season as you wish.  Sautee chopped garlic and onion and sear tenderloin quickly.  Place cooked tenderloin onto a warmed (preferably on a comal) corn tortilla.  Add fresh chopped cilanto and onion.  Add sauces or hot peppers if you so desire.  Do not add hay.  To drink: Victoria beer or Dos XX Amber.  A wedge of lime, too.
You're a genius!  (Or, is it "genus"?)  I just finished lunch and you've got me all hungry all over again!!

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Ah yes, you reminded me of something important:  if you can find Equus ferus ferus tenderloin, you're way ahead in the flavor department.  But if you must settle on Equus ferus caballus, I would recommend an organic Falabella to be your best bet.  With Falabella tenderloin, Pacifico or, even better, Negra Modelo will pair deliciously.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
Ah yes, you reminded me of something important:  if you can find Equus ferus ferus tenderloin, you're way ahead in the flavor department.  But if you must settle on Equus ferus caballus, I would recommend an organic Falabella to be your best bet.  With Falabella tenderloin, Pacifico or, even better, Negra Modelo will pair deliciously.
I sit in awe.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
J Michael said:
hecma925 said:
KBN1 said:
Antibiotic-free horse, please.
And organic.  Gotta be organic.  None of that faux horse, either--you know, the kind that sleep with humans....
It was her fault you know.  Faux horse has no flavor anyway; ugh, nylon and polyester and probably wood particle board.  Lord knows what's in that.

KBN1

High Elder
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
KBN1 said:
Yes, of course.  It was free of all medications and spent its days on organic pasture.  I will make tacos this week.  Expect pictures.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
KBN1 said:
hecma925 said:
KBN1 said:
Yes, of course.  It was free of all medications and spent its days on organic pasture.  I will make tacos this week.  Expect pictures.
Excellent.  I'm looking forward to them.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
KBN1 said:
hecma925 said:
KBN1 said:
Please send samples.  Pictures can be manipulated.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
J Michael said:
KBN1 said:
hecma925 said:
KBN1 said:
Can horses be pacifists?  I am reminded of The Charge of the Light Brigade and I don't think thay can be.  So make tacos out of war-mongering horses!

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
J Michael said:
KBN1 said:
hecma925 said:
KBN1 said:
Can horses be pacifists?  I am reminded of The Charge of the Light Brigade and I don't think thay can be.  So make tacos out of war-mongering horses!
This is starting to take on overt and sinister political overtones.  We are at grave risk of awakening the Sleeping Mods over these matters.  NOT something that would end well, I think.

Come to think of it though, perhaps we could have mod tacos, as well  ;D.

KBN1

High Elder
Reaction score
Based on the part of the horse that we often act like, I doubt I want to make tacos from anyone around here.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
I had a big bowl of kimchi for lunch today, sans the horse taco, and have been playing the piper ever since.

sheenj

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
vamrat said:
I had a big bowl of kimchi for lunch today, sans the horse taco, and have been playing the piper ever since.
I thought the phrase was Paying the Piper?

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
sheenj said:
vamrat said:
LOL!!!  It is, but in this case, he's probably the one tootin' away, hence "playing the piper"....LOLOLOLOL!  My sympathies for anyone within 10 yards of the piping Vamrat  ;D

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
sheenj said:
vamrat said:
I'm sure he's paying for it.  A bowl of kimchi with nothing else?  No thanks.  I need some jasmine rice and maybe some grilled pork belly.  Maybe a deep-fried egg for good luck.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
sheenj said:
vamrat said:
I'm sure he's paying for it.  A bowl of kimchi with nothing else?  No thanks.  I need some jasmine rice and maybe some grilled pork belly.  Maybe a deep-fried egg for good luck.
It was followed by curry.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
vamrat said:
hecma925 said:
sheenj said:
vamrat said:
What kind?  My father-in-law makes a mean massaman curry.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
vamrat said:
hecma925 said:
sheenj said:
vamrat said:
What kind?  My father-in-law makes a mean massaman curry.
You really cannot beat good Indian food!  One of the things I miss about England, besides real and authentic fish and chips, is the plethora of excellent and cheap Indian restaurants.  We had about 4 of them within no more than 50 yards of where we last lived there!!  Not to mention the kebab stands!  Mmm, mmm, mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
You really cannot beat good Indian food!  One of the things I miss about England, besides real and authentic fish and chips, is the plethora of excellent and cheap Indian restaurants.  We had about 4 of them within no more than 50 yards of where we last lived there!!  Not to mention the kebab stands!   Mmm, mmm, mmmmmmmmmmmmm!
That sounds good.  Near my office we have a Turkish restaurant and an Indian restaurant within walking distance.  I'll try the Indian one next week.  The Turkish one is very good.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
KBN1 said:
hecma925 said:
KBN1 said:
I hope we see said pictures, since any promise made on the internets is an inviolable bond of trust.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
no mas los tacos yo quiero arriba arriba andale andale yee haw! yo no hablo espanol. obviously.

KBN1

High Elder
Reaction score
Ok, so I did it.

I don't know my cuts of horse, but the steaks looked kind of like sirloin.  At any rate, I marinated them in olive oil and a spice blend of ancho, chile de arbol, coriander, cumin, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper, and then grilled them.  Cilantro, lime, green onion, raw mild cheddar, sour cream, fire roasted picante, and a fresh salsa made for delicious tacos.  This is my first experience with horse meat and I would describe the taste as 2/3 bison and 1/3 venison, but without any gaminess.  There is a pleasant sweetness to it as well.  There you have it.  Horse tacos, sans kimchi.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Outstanding!  That looks really tasty.  How long did the steak take to cook?

KBN1

High Elder
Reaction score
5 minutes per side maybe?  I don't really pay attention to time. I've cooked thousands of steaks and its just a subconscious thing by now.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Well, it looks good.  I was wondering if you thought it cooked any different from a beef steak.  My only experience with horse meat was from a can, kind of liked corned beef.  The sweetness was there as well.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
no mas los tacos yo quiero arriba arriba andale andale yee haw! yo no hablo espanol. obviously.
Please provide translation or post in the foreign language sub-forum, please!  ;D

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Asteriktos said:
Please provide translation or post in the foreign language sub-forum, please!  ;D
I want no more bad tacos, now hurry up with the good ones! Also, I speak perfect Spanish. Obviously.