• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

How are your computers?

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Nice, a fellow Wikipedian! What project(s) do you contribute to? I'm always contributing to Portuguese Wikipedia and sometimes to English Wikipedia and Portuguese Wikinews. I have acquired statuses on the three of them. Rarely I edit other projects, like Wikimedia Commons, Spanish Wikipedia, English Wiktionary...

reclusivus

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Antioch and All the East
RaphaCam said:
Nice, a fellow Wikipedian! What project(s) do you contribute to? I'm always contributing to Portuguese Wikipedia and sometimes to English Wikipedia and Portuguese Wikinews. I have acquired statuses on the three of them. Rarely I edit other projects, like Wikimedia Commons, Spanish Wikipedia, English Wiktionary...
I just saw this sorry, yes that's great! I have been editing both English Wiki and Wiktionary for several years now, although I rarely touch other languages. Most of my activity has been with articles on medieval history and saints; although I often lazily am just adjusting linguistic pronunciations for foreign names with an automatic site I use.

Honestly it's kind of sad how Wikipedia in general has a massive Western church bias; I mean most Christian articles tend to have poor research all around, but Orthodoxy especially suffers. Many theological articles only offer Catholic and Protestant perspectives, and when they do mention Orthodox views it is mostly barebones blips and/or vague and inaccurate.

And do not even get me started on the articles of all but the most famous saints. Especially pre-Schism Western saints that aren't like Augustine. Total messes in structure, little to no sources, exaggerations and strange claims, often straight up nonsense and conflicting info where there is info at all - there are hundreds if not THOUSANDS of Saints who have no article at all, and the ones who do are given a shameful display. It overwhelms me so much, it would literally take a lifetime for one guy to do them all justice.

I get it, I know that for a lot of saints especially before the modern era, the lines between fact and legend and myth get blurred. The saints of the old British Isles and Merovingian Gaul for instance have tons of rather surreal stories I choose to innocently believe. For some saints we have little more to be confirmed than the names, and many Wiki "power users" get anal about criteria for inclusion. But this is all unacceptable. I'm not educated enough to help these holy men and women, in such a manner that their entries are sufficient.

Also I notice that when Wiki articles do mention Orthodox views well, there tends to be a slight skew towards more "open minded" figures in the Church like Fr. Hopko. I am not judging but after so long I can only affirm that Wiki does have a liberal bias, albeit perhaps more of the "classical liberal" species outside of "controversial" social topics which undoubtedly attract ideologues with a fetus to grind.  :'(

All Saints with Poor or Missing Wikipedia Articles, pray for us!

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
reclusivus said:
RaphaCam said:
I believe it's Windows 8. I don't really know anything about computers or technology in general apart from what I had to learn to contribute to Wikipedia (which includes basic HTML and Lua, and advanced Wikitext).
I'm similar haha, I wish there was a general purpose coding language that was highly similar to wikitext. I tried python once but I just got so lazy and distracted.
Conversely most programmers I know have a relative lack of enthusiasm for Wikipedia markup.  But really, you are talking about XML variants.  The consensus among the aesthetic set I associate with is that XML itself was a poor technological choice; an alternative markup language derived from LISP was proposed but alas it did not happen and we got stuck with the inferior solution.

This pattern is all too common in computing (consider OS/2 vs. Win9x, or BeOS vs. MacOS, or M/PM-86 vs. MS DOS, or for that matter, Plan 9 vs. every other operating system).  I can think of an endless number of cases where a superior and more elegant platform was vanquished by something vastly inferior that gained marketshare more rapidly.  Or, when not vanquished, unfairly sidelined and denied proper credit for its achievements (the BSD community has struggled against this and miraculously survived since 1995 when GNU/Linux inexplicably took off despite being, at the time, broadly inferior in terms of stability, documentation, and other things).

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
My Polish keyboard doesn't work on computer, it changes letters a lot, while in other programs it works fine and normally.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Dominika said:
My Polish keyboard doesn't work on computer, it changes letters a lot, while in other programs it works fine and normally.
I've restarted computer and now it works normally...

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Dominika said:
Which program was it not working correctly on?  Or was it not working correctly on your entire machine?

If the latter is the case, please tell me the OS you are running and the specifications of the computer.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Alpha60 said:
Dominika said:
Which program was it not working correctly on?  Or was it not working correctly on your entire machine?

If the latter is the case, please tell me the OS you are running and the specifications of the computer.

The forum. And the Internet as it turned out but when I restarted it, it came back

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Dominika said:
Alpha60 said:
Dominika said:

The forum. And the Internet as it turned out but when I restarted it, it came back
What OS are you running?  Windows, Mac?  Is this a laptop, a tablet or a desktop?  If you don’t know you can send me a screenshot.

I have a first gen iPad Pro that occasionally drops its Internet connection, which is annoying; my second generation unit does not do that.  I bought a 3rd generation iPad Pro but returned it due to the stylus always falling off, and Netflix and other apps not scaling correctly to the 11.2” screen.  It just wasn’t an improvement on its predeccessors.  I will probably buy a refurbished first gen 9.7” and a refurbished second gen 10.2” if Apple doesn’t come out with an improved iPad Pro in the fall.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
^^ Laptop, Dell. Maybe I've pressed a key for it or combination of keys. Don't worry, as I suppose it's been my fault.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Dominika said:
^^ Laptop, Dell. Maybe I've pressed a key for it or combination of keys. Don't worry, as I suppose it's been my fault.
Maybe, maybe not.  Let me know if it does it again.

One pertinent thing I should ask: is your Polish keyboard integrated into the laptop or a separate USB or Bluetooth keyboard?

If its Bluetooth, the networking stack in Windows might have crashed or you might have activated Airplane Mode by mistake.  If it is USB, it was again most likely an OS glitch.  If however your keyboard is integrated, I would worry about possible hardware failure.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Alpha60 said:
So how is everyone’s computer doing this lovely autumn?
Dying. Literally, it feels like having a friend in hospice. You don't know if they'll last a week or three months, only that they're dying. Everything's backed up in the external drive, ready for transition.

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of New Jersey
My 160 GB hard drive crashed at the end of August.  People tell me that data recovery companies charge an arm and a leg depending on how long it takes to recover data (it's free if they're unable to recover any data).  I never performed any backups and I lost 10 years worth of data.  I went out and bought a Dell Vostro 3670.  I perform nightly backups of my data, which consists of 8 files.

I haven't ruled out data recovery; however, when the system crashed, it sat on a blue screen of death for a number of hours.  I tried installing Windows 7 on a spare 80 GB hard drive except the drive crashed during install.  Fortunately, I had a 32-bit Celeron M laptop with MX Linux that I was able to use before I bought the replacement PC.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Tbh I have two computers that are way more hardware than I need for what I use them for. My desktop (i7 6700, 16gb ram, ssd + hdd, gtx 1060) I use once a month to pay bills. My laptop was something I bought on exorbitant credit from Dell with the intention of gaming on it, but which I now use almost exclusively to watch videos/streams on the internet and surf the web. Live and learn I guess. 8)

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Arachne said:
Alpha60 said:
Dying. Literally, it feels like having a friend in hospice. You don't know if they'll last a week or three months, only that they're dying. Everything's backed up in the external drive, ready for transition.
A computer is only dead if the motherboard is dead.  What makes you think it is dying?  If it is merely running poorly, its probably Windows 10 update 1403, which broke VMWare Workstation, which I depend on, requiring me to revert all my Win10 boxen.  I am seriously going to revert machines to Windows 7 as I can’t take this madness of involuntary updates that amount to major version changes, which require editing group policy, services, folder permissions and several other intricate parts of the OS to block (and the OS seems to have a backdoor wherein these fixes mysteriously stop working).  Deep packet inspection to ferret out anything going to a Windows 10 box that looks like it is from Microslop might be the only approach.

But at least we have ssh, 20 years late.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Arachne said:
Alpha60 said:
Seriously though, if you describe the symptoms, I might be able to tell you how to fix it. 

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Asteriktos said:
Tbh I have two computers that are way more hardware than I need for what I use them for. My desktop (i7 6700, 16gb ram, ssd + hdd, gtx 1060) I use once a month to pay bills. My laptop was something I bought on exorbitant credit from Dell with the intention of gaming on it, but which I now use almost exclusively to watch videos/streams on the internet and surf the web. Live and learn I guess. 8)
If you want to sell the desktop, let me know.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
SolEX01 said:
My 160 GB hard drive crashed at the end of August.  People tell me that data recovery companies charge an arm and a leg depending on how long it takes to recover data (it's free if they're unable to recover any data). 
That’s a new one.  Traditionally they charge either way.  The temptation existed to offer data recovery, hook up the disk, see if a filesystem could be restored using an automated script, and failing that, call the owner a few days later and express regrets that the data was lost, and offer to sell them backups.  Or just do the latter.  Fortunately my ethnical subroutine kicked in and precluded such a course of business.  Unfortunately, most data recovery companies historically lacked and likely still lack an ethical subroutine.  Indeed a bad one can make it worse. 

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of New Jersey
Alpha60 said:
SolEX01 said:
My 160 GB hard drive crashed at the end of August.  People tell me that data recovery companies charge an arm and a leg depending on how long it takes to recover data (it's free if they're unable to recover any data). 
That’s a new one.  Traditionally they charge either way.  The temptation existed to offer data recovery, hook up the disk, see if a filesystem could be restored using an automated script, and failing that, call the owner a few days later and express regrets that the data was lost, and offer to sell them backups.  Or just do the latter.  Fortunately my ethnical subroutine kicked in and precluded such a course of business.  Unfortunately, most data recovery companies historically lacked and likely still lack an ethical subroutine.  Indeed a bad one can make it worse.
I'm considering Drive Savers except I haven't called them.  They claim to have recovered data from Hollywood celebrities.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Alpha60 said:
Arachne said:
Alpha60 said:
Seriously though, if you describe the symptoms, I might be able to tell you how to fix it.
The power light has started to blink green to yellow. The battery was replaced a few months ago, and anyway it's been holding steady at 99% charge, so the problem is either in the power supply or the motherboard. I don't care to throw repair money at a six-year-old machine; I've been looking to replace it in the next few months anyway.

Sethrak

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Armenian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Etchmiadzin, Armenia
Hi ~ I'm runing windows 10 on this Laptop ~ when I log on now everything has changed ~ boxes come up with pictures or Logos ~ these boxes ~ if I click on one of these boxes it will bring  up pictures or whatever is on the box ~ not the normal Windows format ~ if you know what I'm saying ```

There has always been a message that comes up saying: Activate you windows ```

Good Morning ```

seth

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Alpha60 said:
Running.  That's about all I can tell.  ;D

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Arachne said:
Alpha60 said:
Arachne said:
Alpha60 said:
The power light has started to blink green to yellow. The battery was replaced a few months ago, and anyway it's been holding steady at 99% charge, so the problem is either in the power supply or the motherboard. I don't care to throw repair money at a six-year-old machine; I've been looking to replace it in the next few months anyway.
Just the power supply light?  What model laptop is it? 

Also might I ask what models you are looking at to replace it?  I continue to remain a fan of Lenovo laptops myself.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Sethrak said:
Hi ~ I'm runing windows 10 on this Laptop ~ when I log on now everything has changed ~ boxes come up with pictures or Logos ~ these boxes ~ if I click on one of these boxes it will bring  up pictures or whatever is on the box ~ not the normal Windows format ~ if you know what I'm saying ```

There has always been a message that comes up saying: Activate you windows ```

Good Morning ```

seth
Congratulations, you’ve got malware!

You will want to restore your Windows 10 install.  I can link you to a tutorial on that.  Do you have a tablet or auxilliary computer you can use?

Alpo2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Senior Patriarchate
Huawei Matebook D14. Basically a 1:1 Macbook copy with Windows. Kind of regret buying this as I don't trust Chinese hardware but I wanted something thin and light with metal chassis but without bloatware and a big price tag. I don't particularly like Windows either but macbooks are expensive, chromebooks are no good for gaming and Linux demands too much tinkering. Meh. Works fine though.

As a sidenote, apparently my antivirus (Bitlocker) seems to dislike OC.net:

Attachments

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Alpha60 said:
Arachne said:
Alpha60 said:
Arachne said:
Alpha60 said:

Also might I ask what models you are looking at to replace it?  I continue to remain a fan of Lenovo laptops myself.
Not sure about the model. If it was stamped somewhere on the body of the machine at first, it has long worn off by now.

Lenovo is one of the brands I'm considering, though another Asus would also be awesome (its wonderful predecessor, a Samsung netbook, is no longer made). I'm on a tight budget, so, although there are a couple of things I won't touch, beyond that I'll have to make do with whatever that budget will get me.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Just got my laptop back from the repair shop.

$64 well spent. I may have to re-download most of my music from the Magical Cloud, but everything looks in order.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Arachne said:
Alpha60 said:
Arachne said:
Alpha60 said:
Arachne said:
Alpha60 said:

Not sure about the model. If it was stamped somewhere on the body of the machine at first, it has long worn off by now.

Lenovo is one of the brands I'm considering, though another Asus would also be awesome (its wonderful predecessor, a Samsung netbook, is no longer made). I'm on a tight budget, so, although there are a couple of things I won't touch, beyond that I'll have to make do with whatever that budget will get me.
The beauty of Lenovo products is they last for years and years.  This means you can buy a used ThinkPad on eBay confident that it will keep on chugging.  In fact I frequently buy used Lenovo products, because in some cases, some models which are no longer made have features that I desire (for example, support for Windows 7, the classic 7-row keyboard, and so on).  The oldest Lenovo I have in use right now is an x41 tablet PC which dates from 2005.  Until a few years ago, when I sold my old managed hosting company, I was running a pair of IBM x335 servers from around 2003, in the datacenter (although dated, they were more than adequate for their function, which was to provide redundant DNS and network management).  And I continue to run an old IBM workstation and an IBM tower server for internal storage (these product lines were later taken over by Lenovo).

Apple, Dell, HP and Sun servers and desktops have longevity, but when it comes to laptops, the only brand I really trust not to fail is Lenovo, whether we are talking a ThinkPad or one of the cheaper IdeaPad/Lenovo branded machines, provided of course the unit was manufactured after they acquired IBM’s personal computer business in 2005.  Anything made before then is probably rubbish.  There is one other brand people swear by; I have not had much experience with it myself, but I would trust a new one, and that is the famed Panasonic Toughbook, the preferred choice of police, firefighter, soldiers and oilfield workers.  But I probably would not want to buy a used one, as they likely have been through a lot of punishment compared to your average ThinkPad (which in turn has historically been the laptop of choice for NASA astronauts, but which statistically is most likely to have spent its life sitting on someone’s desk).

From my knowledge of Apple laptops, they tend to run uncomfortably hot and are unpleasant compared to Apple desktop products like the iMac.  Also, misguided attempts to make them more like the iPad have further contributed to their unimpressive nature.  But the main problems are that they run hot, and also they tend to lack important and useful ports.  Also, the new touchscreen interface which replaces the Function keys on several newer MacBook Pros is driving people crazy, particularly when it breaks, and there have also been some catastrophic systems failures related to the new system management processor (which runs an iOS derivative, and which is a good idea in theory, but in practice, it needs more time to mature; also frankly Apple would have done better to use an off the shelf technology, like, for instance, the one built into every modern Intel CPU).

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
I went to scan my computer, and it actually spoke and said, "What are you doing, Dave?"?  -- Makes me wonder.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
The Toughbook looks good but is light years beyond my budget, and you couldn't pay me to get anything by Apple.

I've seen some nice Black Friday deals, but they'll be over before I can get my hands on enough money, so moot point.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
biro said:
Just got my laptop back from the repair shop.

$64 well spent. I may have to re-download most of my music from the Magical Cloud, but everything looks in order.
What kind of laptop are you running?  And what are you using for your cloud music provider?

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Arachne said:
The Toughbook looks good but is light years beyond my budget, and you couldn't pay me to get anything by Apple.

I've seen some nice Black Friday deals, but they'll be over before I can get my hands on enough money, so moot point.
I would thus very respectfully suggest you look into a pre-owned ThinkPad.  If you want, I can take a look at some of the listings in the UK on Amazon and eBay and compile a shortlist.

In the distant future by the way a desire of mine is that OCNet will supply our moderators with laptops or equivalent hardware, and I believe that will happen at some point, but alas we are not there yet.  But if you look at the operations plan and at the falling cost of laptops, the idea is not as farfetched as it might at first seem.

However, at present, you can get a good quality, pre-owned ThinkPad with ample specs for US $200 or less, which is rather nice.

~

By the way, some Apple products are nice.  I used to hate Macs, but I have historically really liked the iPad and iPhone.  Of late, the Macs have improved, but the iPhones have become massively overpriced, and the most recent 3rd generation iPad Pro I tried last year but wound up returning it due to poor product quality compared to its predecessors.  I am planning on getting another second generation iPad Pro as a stop-gap in the hopes that they will come out with a version which is as good as the older ones (the 3rd generation iPad was also a bit rubbish, and for that matter, when one compares the bulky 1st generation iPad with the svelte iPad 2, one realizes the main appeal of the original was simply the novel interface, but it was more of a prototype than a mature product).  The same could be said about the Apple Watch; the first one was a useless toy, whereas the current Apple Watch with mobile functionality is simply liberating, because one can finally rid oneself of the encumbrance of carrying around a mobile phone.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
My mom got me the 17-inch HP laptop, . . So went ahead and started using it.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
I have an HP. Forgot the model number. Using Apple Cloud as my music service. :)

Hawkeye

Hyperprōtopansebastohalieus
Reaction score
Faith
Like unto Neronov
Jurisdiction
Old Rite, Chapelist
I put my desktop computer in storage about a year and a half ago and have been working or traveling ever since. I miss being able to write meaningfully, and there are a couple things I left unfinished that I think about once in a while. That said, I'm not quite sure I regret it.

It's been good.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Ok, now mine has an issue.  It says my printer is experiencing an error but cannot find one, and printer says it’s fine.  ???

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian