How Dangerous is Smokeless Tobacco

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Recently I started using Copenhagen Long Cut "dipping" tobacco and I've found that I really enjoy it--more so than cigars and smoking tobacco. My favorite flavor is Mint. I go through about a circular can a month. I want some real, unbiased sources and knowledge on just how dangerous--if at all--this really is for my health. Should I stop before I become addicted? Does anyone here have any experience with it? I love that lucid, uplifting feeling I get from the nicotine buzz  :laugh:

So, realistically, is this stuff dangerous? My mom hates seeing me do it because she says it will ruin my teeth that she spent money getting braces on when I was in 6-7th grade.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Recently I started using Copenhagen Long Cut "dipping" tobacco and I've found that I really enjoy it--more so than cigars and smoking tobacco. My favorite flavor is Mint. I go through about a circular can a month. I want some real, unbiased sources and knowledge on just how dangerous--if at all--this really is for my health. Should I stop before I become addicted? Does anyone here have any experience with it? I love that lucid, uplifting feeling I get from the nicotine buzz  :laugh:

So, realistically, is this stuff dangerous? My mom hates seeing me do it because she says it will ruin my teeth that she spent money getting braces on when I was in 6-7th grade.
Mint. Gross.

Snus. The real stuff.

Your welcome.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Recently I started using Copenhagen Long Cut "dipping" tobacco and I've found that I really enjoy it--more so than cigars and smoking tobacco. My favorite flavor is Mint. I go through about a circular can a month. I want some real, unbiased sources and knowledge on just how dangerous--if at all--this really is for my health. Should I stop before I become addicted? Does anyone here have any experience with it? I love that lucid, uplifting feeling I get from the nicotine buzz  :laugh:

Common sense should tell you that if you have something as abrasive as smokeless tobacco rubbing against your teeth and gums all day every day you're very quickly going to lose tooth enamel and your gums. The end result of all this is that you'll lose your teeth.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
JamesR said:
Recently I started using Copenhagen Long Cut "dipping" tobacco and I've found that I really enjoy it--more so than cigars and smoking tobacco. My favorite flavor is Mint. I go through about a circular can a month. I want some real, unbiased sources and knowledge on just how dangerous--if at all--this really is for my health. Should I stop before I become addicted? Does anyone here have any experience with it? I love that lucid, uplifting feeling I get from the nicotine buzz  :laugh:

Common sense should tell you that if you have something as abrasive as smokeless tobacco rubbing against your teeth and gums all day every day you're very quickly going to lose tooth enamel and your gums. The end result of all this is that you'll lose your teeth.
Might not need those teeth when the oral cancer happens...

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
JamesR said:

Seeing that you asked for real, unbiased--I assume you mean outside--sources on the dangers of smokeless tobacco, let me list a couple or three:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Tobacco/smokeless
http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/tobaccocancer/smokeless-tobacco
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/smokelesstobacco.html

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Addictive and expensive

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
PeterTheAleut said:
JamesR said:

Yup. And orthonorm's "advice" is disgusting, if not criminal. Nasal and pharyngeal cancer, anyone? Lovely ....  :p :p :p :mad:

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
LBK said:
DeniseDenise said:
PeterTheAleut said:
JamesR said:

Yup. And orthonorm's "advice" is disgusting, if not criminal. Nasal and pharyngeal cancer, anyone? Lovely ....  :p :p :p :mad:
You have no idea what you are talking about. If I get time I'll demonstrate once again you rarely have any notion of what you are talking about. You post only suggests you were close to someone who died from disease which happens more frequently and earlier within tobacco users. That is all.

Please attempt to convict me of my crime. In the meantime, look at the health outcomes for those using non-cured oral tobacco. Hard to differentiate them from non-users.

I doubt you know much about the differences in orally used tobaccos. I grew up for a greater portion of my life in tobacco country.

Again, I'll post even more criminal stuff later.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
You post only suggests you were close to someone who died from disease which happens more frequently and earlier within tobacco users. That is all.
Your presumption, as usual, is wrong. But you have a record of closing your eyes and ears to anything I say, so there's no point in me elaborating further on your errors.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
LBK said:
DeniseDenise said:
PeterTheAleut said:
JamesR said:

You have no idea what you are talking about. If I get time I'll demonstrate once again you rarely have any notion of what you are talking about. You post only suggests you were close to someone who died from disease which happens more frequently and earlier within tobacco users. That is all.

Please attempt to convict me of my crime. In the meantime, look at the health outcomes for those using non-cured oral tobacco. Hard to differentiate them from non-users.

I doubt you know much about the differences in orally used tobaccos. I grew up for a greater portion of my life in tobacco country.

Can you explain to me the difference between cured and non cured oral tobacco? I'm new to this. Is Copenhagen's Long Cut stuff non-cured? What product would you recommend for a newcomer like me? Preferably safer.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
JamesR said:
orthonorm said:
LBK said:
DeniseDenise said:
PeterTheAleut said:
JamesR said:

Can you explain to me the difference between cured and non cured oral tobacco? I'm new to this. Is Copenhagen's Long Cut stuff non-cured? What product would you recommend for a newcomer like me? Preferably safer.
You will listen to whom you will listen to. ::) You asked for objective sources that point out the dangers of smokeless tobacco, and I provided some. Have you not read them?

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
JamesR said:
orthonorm said:
LBK said:
DeniseDenise said:
PeterTheAleut said:
JamesR said:

You will listen to whom you will listen to. ::) You asked for objective sources that point out the dangers of smokeless tobacco, and I provided some. Have you not read them?
He'd rather take the "advice" of Guru Orthonorm than that of health professionals who've done the research and/or who see and deal with the results of tobacco use in the course of their clinical and surgical practices.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
LBK said:
PeterTheAleut said:
JamesR said:
orthonorm said:
LBK said:
DeniseDenise said:
PeterTheAleut said:
JamesR said:

He'd rather take the "advice" of Guru Orthonorm than that of health professionals who've done the research and/or who see and deal with the results of tobacco use in the course of their clinical and surgical practices.
Hell, even just reading the sources I provided and choosing to dispute them for reasonable cause is better than ignoring them and following blindly after orthonorm just because orthonorm takes the time to flatter him.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
JamesR said:
orthonorm said:
LBK said:
DeniseDenise said:
PeterTheAleut said:
JamesR said:

DO NOT USE EITHER.

Why do people think that they must use tobacco or drink alcohol as a sign that they have "grown up"?

If you had a girl friend, she would be repulsed if you wanted to kiss her with all that thick brown saliva in your mouth. It could be a real turn off. Do you have a spitoon too?

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
LBK said:
PeterTheAleut said:
JamesR said:
orthonorm said:
LBK said:
DeniseDenise said:
PeterTheAleut said:
JamesR said:

Hell, even just reading the sources I provided and choosing to dispute them for reasonable cause is better than following blindly after orthonorm just because orthonorm takes the time to flatter him.
Perfectly stated.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maria said:
JamesR said:
orthonorm said:
LBK said:
DeniseDenise said:
PeterTheAleut said:
JamesR said:

DO NOT USE EITHER.

Why do people think that they must use tobacco or drink alcohol as a sign that they have "grown up"?
What problem do you have with alcohol, Maria? After all, wine is a central part of most of our Church's liturgical services. (On second thought, don't answer that question, for it's not relevant to this thread.)

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
JamesR said:
orthonorm said:
LBK said:
DeniseDenise said:
PeterTheAleut said:
JamesR said:

I read them all, and while being helpful, they were still vague. They virtually all point out that there's a correlation between smokeless tobacco and cancer, but neither of them have explained HOW strong this risk or correlation is. Nowadays it seems like even drinking water causes cancer.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Maria said:
DO NOT USE EITHER

Well I actually tried it for curiousity's sake after a friend purchased a can and I started enjoying it. I'd be completely willing to quit if I had sufficient evidence that it was significantly harmful to my health. I hardly ever use it anyhow--only about a can a month. I do it because I enjoy the nicotine buzz and I've found that it helps relieve my migraines.

If you had a girl friend, she would be repulsed if you wanted to kiss her with all that thick brown saliva in your mouth. It could be a real turn off.
Well at least there'd be less temptation to fornicate. I wouldn't be able to resist a turned-on female.

Do you have a spitoon too?
I wish! But my family won't let me because they think they're repulsive.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
JamesR said:
PeterTheAleut said:
JamesR said:
orthonorm said:
LBK said:
DeniseDenise said:
PeterTheAleut said:
JamesR said:

I read them all, and while being helpful, they were still vague. They virtually all point out that there's a correlation between smokeless tobacco and cancer, but neither of them have explained HOW strong this risk or correlation is. Nowadays it seems like even drinking water causes cancer.
Dude, if you can think that, then you're far too cynical for any reasonable person to reach you. ::)

BTW, you might try reading this if you want an actual explanation of how smokeless tobacco is thought to increase your risk of cancer:
http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/news/20120822/cancer-causing-chemical-in-smokeless-tobacco

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Maria said:
DO NOT USE EITHER

Well I actually tried it for curiousity's sake after a friend purchased a can and I started enjoying it. I'd be completely willing to quit if I had sufficient evidence that it was significantly harmful to my health. I hardly ever use it anyhow--only about a can a month. I do it because I enjoy the nicotine buzz and I've found that it helps relieve my migraines.

If you had a girl friend, she would be repulsed if you wanted to kiss her with all that thick brown saliva in your mouth. It could be a real turn off.
Well at least there'd be less temptation to fornicate. I wouldn't be able to resist a turned-on female.
Masturbation may keep you from fornicating, but the Church frowns on both. So what's your point?