• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

How did you like Episode 7?

How do you rate Star Wars Episode 7?

• Fantastic

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Good

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Ok

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Could have been better

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • DAMN THAT MICKEY MOUSE! HE RUINED IT!!!!!!

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I have not seen it yet.  I probably will in January.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Gamliel said:
Well get your eye-mist ready because now we know Han "got ran through".

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
^ Yeah.  I hope I do not learn much more until I read the book. /shrug.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Gamliel said:
Well get your eye-mist ready because now we know Han "got ran through".
We know someone else bought it as well. ;) The old guard deserves to go down in a blaze of glory.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Perhaps Kylo Ren is C-P3O.  After all, he was built by Anakin Skywalker who turned evil.  C-3PO has been good and quiet and in the background.  But really, he has been getting angrier and angrier since Anakin left him without giving him an oil change. ;)

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I hate you, PP. I go to see it on Saturday and promised myself I wouldn't read anything, but I couldn't resist this thread.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
I hate you, PP. I go to see it on Saturday and promised myself I wouldn't read anything, but I couldn't resist this thread.

I had similar feelings. My buddy tried to spoil the whole film for me... Needless to say, he barely got out alive. ;)

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Careful.  primuspilus might be trying to get you to hate him, so you would turn to the dark side. :)

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As I said elsewhere, my stepdaughter went to a midnight screening the night before, so by breakfast time we had all the spoilers. (Not that they spoiled anything, mind you.) Spousal unit and young padawan will go see it together over the school holidays, as a male bonding thing. I don't care for the cinema experience any more, so I'll wait for the DVD.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Gamliel said:
TheTrisagion said:
Careful.  primuspilus might be trying to get you to hate him, so you would turn to the dark side. :)
I'm already full on dark side. If I ever have a son, his name will be Palpatine (pbuh).

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
^Term from the Coneheads.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
It's garbage like the other six.

LOL at a grown man getting misty eyed at Stars Wars, and people mock an adult who acts like a six year old.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Han Solo is killed by his own son.

Youre welcome

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cast adrift in a lifeboat of the SS Aurora
orthonorm said:

LOL at a grown man getting misty eyed at Stars Wars, and people mock an adult who acts like a six year old.
Did you even watch it?

The vitriol in your post causes me to suspect you just object to this sort of film categorically.  Which is fine, if true; you have the right to an aesthetic.  However, at present, I am unsure if this is your PoV or if rather you have sat through all seven films and managed to enjoy none, in the manner of Waldorf and Statler.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:

And here is our first hipster post of the day. :) Have some fun, man. Cynicism never made anyone happy.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
wgw said:
orthonorm said:

Did you even watch it?

The vitriol in your post causes me to suspect you just object to this sort of film categorically.  Which is fine, if true; you have the right to an aesthetic.  However, at present, I am unsure if this is your PoV or if rather you have sat through all seven films and managed to enjoy none, in the manner of Waldorf and Statler.
Why sort of film? A toy commercial that lasts a long time and that attracts too many middle aged men to the theaters?

If that is a genre, yeah, its garbage. And it has no aesthetic other than the movement of dollars from kids who don't know better and adults who should to studio moguls bank accounts.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
wgw said:
orthonorm said:

Did you even watch it?

Why sort of film? A toy commercial that lasts a long time and that attracts too many middle aged men to the theaters?

If that is a genre, yeah, its garbage. And it has no aesthetic other than the movement of dollars from kids who don't know better and adults who should to studio moguls bank accounts.
I like to watch movies like Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings, The Avengers, Superman, and all that fun stuff. :) I love being the kind of person that Orthonorm finds repulsive.  ;D

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3281611/PIERS-MORGAN-Force-Awakens-Sorry-Star-Wars-sucked-40-overrated-overhyped-preposterous-years.html

Piers owns.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Papist said:
orthonorm said:

And here is our first hipster post of the day. :) Have some fun, man. Cynicism never made anyone happy.
That would be you. Nothing is more hipster than the ironic ridiculous distance you people require to exist. It was garbage when I saw it as a kid, it's garbage now.

That people like you are incapable of defending your own choices in entertainment doesn't make the rest of hipsters. Consuming the relics of one's own (pre)adolescence is the quintessential hipster thing to do.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Papist said:
orthonorm said:
wgw said:
orthonorm said:

Did you even watch it?

I like to watch movies like Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings, The Avengers, Superman, and all that fun stuff. :) I love being the kind of person that Orthonorm finds repulsive.  ;D
Libido finds its own level.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
nothing said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3281611/PIERS-MORGAN-Force-Awakens-Sorry-Star-Wars-sucked-40-overrated-overhyped-preposterous-years.html

Piers owns.
I just read this. Geesh, is there anything this man likes? He always comes off as that guy at a party who spoils everyone's good time by talking about Ebola, Greenhouse Emissions, or the ultimate meaninglessness of life.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Papist said:
orthonorm said:

That would be you. Nothing is more hipster than the ironic ridiculous distance you people require to exist. It was garbage when I saw it as a kid, it's garbage now.

That people like you are incapable of defending your own choices in entertainment doesn't make the rest of hipsters. Consuming the relics of one's own (pre)adolescence is the quintessential hipster thing to do.
HAHA!!!! I just want to give you a hug, Orthonorm, and just love the past trauma of your childhood right out of you.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Papist said:
orthonorm said:

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Papist said:
orthonorm said:
wgw said:
orthonorm said:

Did you even watch it?

Amen to that.

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Papist said:
nothing said:

Piers owns.
I just read this. Geesh, is there anything this man likes? He always comes off as that guy at a party who spoils everyone's good time by talking about Ebola, Greenhouse Emissions, or the ultimate meaninglessness of life.

A bit like Paul Theroux, but less amusing.  One can read The Old Patagonian Express and be consistently delighted by Theroux's general disdain for everything (which one cannot help but suspect is an affectation resulting from the undesirable consequences of a Bostonian living too long in the UK), whereas in the case of Piers Morgan, it is delivered with less style.  It isn't even curmudgeonly.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
wgw said:
Papist said:
nothing said:

Piers owns.

A bit like Paul Theroux, but less amusing.  One can read The Old Patagonian Express and be consistently delighted by Theroux's general disdain for everything (which one cannot help but suspect is an affectation resulting from the undesirable consequences of a Bostonian living too long in the UK), whereas in the case of Piers Morgan, it is delivered with less style.  It isn't even curmudgeonly.
This is an excellent point. If a person can't be a curmudgeon, he doesn't have the right to be that cynical.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Papist said:
orthonorm said:

I think an adult can reasonably enjoy the films without buying toys, comic books, novelizations, etc. or engaging in other self-infantilizing behavior. I guess I'll just copy and paste what I said before:

Iconodule said:
nothing said:
TheTrisagion said:
nothing said:
The worst part of this new Star Wars movie is the whoring from Disney to push as much merchandise as they can at literally every store in America. You can't get away from it.

The Stormtrooper adult onesie at Target had me rolling
Is that different than any other Star Wars movie ever released?
It's been so long since the last one I don't really remember.

Agabus said:
As opposed to when Lucas ran the show? It's not like Star Wars was ever a simple, understated brand that only licensed classy products.
Well of course, but I guess this time I started paying attention to being assaulted everywhere with this crap.

I'm just saying with Disney at the helm, this is their wheelhouse.
Toys, clothing, cereal, happy meals... it would be hard to out-commercialize the old Star Wars. The only way the new Star Wars could be more commercialized is by virtue of an entire generation (or two) growing up with an excessive adulation of the franchise and salivating like Pavlov's dog at the slightest peep from a John Williams score. So now we have parents not only buying loads of Star Wars stuff for their kids, but also all the stuff their parents wouldn't buy them when they were little. Star Wars really epitomizes the self-infantilization and consumerism that has come to characterize "geeks" of today. Disney is just right for it.

That said, I will probably be seeing this in the theater. As with Doctor Who, no matter how horrible it gets, I can't resist it.
I like Star Wars because I grew up with it. Every playground slide became a Sarlacc Pit. Even with all the commercialization aside, there is some genuine mythic fun in there. So yeah, I like Star Wars and disagree with you in a complete dismissal of the franchise as garbage, though undoubtedly there's a lot of garbage in it.

Where perhaps you and I might agree is the extent to which Star Wars fans are incapable of moving onto anything better. When Papist lists Star Wars, the Avengers, LOTR, etc. (all things which I've enjoyed) I get the worrying suspicion that he will never grow up.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Nerves have been struck.
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,59393.msg1363170.html#msg1363170

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
If you want to see some epic Star Wars butthurt then read Devin's posts here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,47785.msg830628.html#msg830628

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
If you want to see some epic Star Wars butthurt then read Devin's posts here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,47785.msg830628.html#msg830628
The best thing for Star Wars would be removing any involvement with George Lucas.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Where perhaps you and I might agree is the extent to which Star Wars fans are incapable of moving onto anything better. When Papist lists Star Wars, the Avengers, LOTR, etc. (all things which I've enjoyed) I get the worrying suspicion that he will never grow up.
Haha, I just wrote a 30 page paper for doctoral class. If you think I haven't moved beyond these things... well I dunno. Maybe you can't understand this, but I spend so much time reading texts on metaphysics, epistemology, natural theology, the philosophy of science, phenomenology, and the like, that I become intellectually exhausted. The result: when I watch a movie or TV show, I just want plain dumb fun - at that point, give me a ridiculous humor, story of some good guys beating bad guys. My favorite TV shows have always been things like 30 rock, the office, Parks and Rec, etc. I just want to be entertained at that point. I don't want to delve back into existentialism - I already do enough of that kind of thing when I am writing term papers or teaching philosophy classes.

At some point, there is nothing wrong with just having some plain, simple fun.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Papist said:
Iconodule said:
Haha, I just wrote a 30 page paper for doctoral class. If you think I haven't moved beyond these things... well I dunno. Maybe you can't understand this, but I spend so much time reading texts on metaphysics, epistemology, natural theology, the philosophy of science, phenomenology, and the like, that I become intellectually exhausted. The result: when I watch a movie or TV show, I just want plain dumb fun - at that point, give me a ridiculous humor, story of some good guys beating bad guys. My favorite TV shows have always been things like 30 rock, the office, Parks and Rec, etc. I just want to be entertained at that point. I don't want to delve back into existentialism - I already do enough of that kind of thing when I am writing term papers or teaching philosophy classes.

At some point, there is nothing wrong with just having some plain, simple fun.
I felt the same way when I received my MA degree. I just wanted to relax.

Some of my fellow students did not open a book for a couple of years. For me, however, relaxation meant reading some theological fantasy, even if it were to reread a C.S. Lewis novel for the fourth or fifth time, like Space Trilogy or indulging in one of James Blish's sci fi novels.