• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

How did you meet your wife?

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
Did you have a church gathering or something where you met your partner? . . .

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Orthodox chat room on the internet

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
RPG chat rooms on Yahoo. It doesn't get more disreputable than that.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
I mean . . Why not go somewhere OFF the Internet and meet.

platypus

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
Arachne said:
Believe me, it can. I've met a handful of people who met their spouses on hookup websites -not even dating websites. These marriages don't last though, to no one's surprise.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
You might meet her through Gucci and Dolce & Gabbana Fashion.

Lepanto

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction
Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
Common friends at university. Playing table soccer between lectures.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
She was sitting on the steps of Guinn Auditorium.

I tried to hit on her, but she blew me off.

Eventually she changed her mind.

maneki_neko

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
AOCA of North America
Arachne said:
Nice!  ;D

platypus said:
Believe me, it can. I've met a handful of people who met their spouses on hookup websites -not even dating websites. These marriages don't last though, to no one's surprise.
This is common in my circles. We have a cousin and brother who met their spouse/fiance through a hookup app.

I met my husband through University. The trick is to even up your odds; if you're a guy, go to a Liberal Arts school. A Protestant Christian school especially has an uneven ratio of women looking to get married. If you're a girl, go to a military school. Turns your 5 looks into a 9. Ask me how I know.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
maneki_neko said:
I met my husband through University. The trick is to even up your odds; if you're a guy, go to a Liberal Arts school. A Protestant Christian school especially has an uneven ratio of women looking to get married. If you're a girl, go to a military school. Turns your 5 looks into a 9. Ask me how I know.
It's really just an uneven ratio of women to men. Even the ones who aren't there to get married are susceptible to the marriage bug because they're probably good or a reformed repentant version of the average high school student. Dating at my Christian college was really intense in part because like half of the couples didn't have sex, so there was this weird atmosphere of repressed desire converted into piety. It's fine when it's one couple in the world; it's kind of weird when the entire surrounding enviorns is only people their own age going through the same thing.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Dropping off a package from a mutual friend for his grandmother.

platypus

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
maneki_neko said:
I met my husband through University. The trick is to even up your odds; if you're a guy, go to a Liberal Arts school. A Protestant Christian school especially has an uneven ratio of women looking to get married.
Desperate enough to get married that they'd be willing to raise Orthodox babies? Asking for a friend.

maneki_neko said:
If you're a girl, go to a military school. Turns your 5 looks into a 9. Ask me how I know.
On my first boat I remember that female officers would start to look immensely more attractive after about two weeks at sea. The technical term for this was "underway hot." They had the best imaginable sex ratio for finding a husband, and of course intercrew dating -especially between officers and enlisted- was strictly forbidden.

Naturally, this didn't stop anyone, and I know of one apparently happy marriage that resulted from such fraternization. The typical result though, was much less fortunate.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
platypus said:
On my first boat I remember that female officers would start to look immensely more attractive after about two weeks at sea. The technical term for this was "underway hot."
Another term:  "deployment goggles".

maneki_neko

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
AOCA of North America
platypus said:
Desperate enough to get married that they'd be willing to raise Orthodox babies? Asking for a friend.
I didn't go to a Christian school in part because I wanted to avoid, as Agabus put it--
Agabus said:
this weird atmosphere of repressed desire converted into piety.
But my sister did, and based on her experience and those of my friends, yes I absolutely believe a significant handful of women are desperate enough to be married that they would consider becoming Orthodox, especially as denominations seem to matter less and less in Protestantism, and society becomes more secular. The ratio of men to women favors men significantly in that setting.

hecma925 said:
platypus said:
On my first boat I remember that female officers would start to look immensely more attractive after about two weeks at sea. The technical term for this was "underway hot."
Another term:  "deployment goggles".
And thank God!  ;D Had I not gone to a military school I most likely would not have been able to marry so well. Put the odds in your favor, ladies and gents!

Sethrak

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Armenian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Etchmiadzin, Armenia
I was her Ski Instructor her first day on snow ~ she is now a Gold Pin and PSIA Examiner ~ always wanted to sleep with an Examiner ```

admiralnick

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Serbian Orthodox Church - Midwest
Choir at the Cathedral. We went out after practice one night and almost 11 years and 4 kids later we're still married.

-Admiralnick