• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

How do I receive funds sent to my "Go Fund Me" account?

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I recently set up a Go Fund Me account. I noticed that someone sent me some money, but I don't have a credit card or a bank account, so I don't know how to receive the funds. Can anyone give me some instructions on this matter? Thanks very much.

Selam

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Where can I send money?

There's not a bank around you that offers a free checking account?

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
RobS said:
Where can I send money?

Good question. I need to find out. Thanks for your concern my brother.

Selam
Just be careful with banks that advertise "free checking" because there could be hidden fees and costs. There is only one local bank near me that I know of that offers a truly free checking account.

It's been years since i looked into it, but if I recall you could even setup bank accounts online. I think Capital One offers both checking and savings accounts, but I'm not sure if they are free.

I hope life gets better for you.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Have you tried their customer service? Sometimes just talking to a person can help find a solution that may not appear to be available through online forms.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
RobS said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
RobS said:
Where can I send money?

Good question. I need to find out. Thanks for your concern my brother.

Selam
Just be careful with banks that advertise "free checking" because there could be hidden fees and costs. There is only one local bank near me that I know of that offers a truly free checking account.

It's been years since i looked into it, but if I recall you could even setup bank accounts online. I think Capital One offers both checking and savings accounts, but I'm not sure if they are free.

I hope life gets better for you.
Thank you brother!

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Agabus said:
Have you tried their customer service? Sometimes just talking to a person can help find a solution that may not appear to be available through online forms.
I did call, and they told me I need a bank account or credit card. I think I'll look into a way to open up a free or very cheap account. Thanks.

Selam

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Practically all banks offer free accounts.  Just ensure that there is no account minimum you have to have or withdrawal limitation. 

And for online banks you have to have an opening deposit, so you'd need an existing bank account to begin with.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Agabus said:
I did call, and they told me I need a bank account or credit card. I think I'll look into a way to open up a free or very cheap account. Thanks.

Selam
OK, good luck.

Are you still in the same area? It looks like the Magnolia credit union has free checking. I mention it because it's a credit union and so it's a little cleaner conscience-wise than a bank.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
They want a direct transfer from another institution.  :(

Funding Information: Temporarily the only way to fund a new account is via an ACH transaction. Please have your routing number and account number on hand.
https://memberapp.magfedcu.org/

CapitalOne looks good, actually.  I only have debt experience with them, though.  :)

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
A bank with a physical location only wants deposits wired in?  That is strange.

Tzimis

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ill help if you tell us how you got there money.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Tzimis said:
He didn't.  :-\  Hence the thread.

Tzimis

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ainnir said:
Tzimis said:
He didn't.  :-\  Hence the thread.
Its in his GFM account.  He just cant transfer it over to a personal account because he doesn't have one.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Right.  Functionally that's the same as nothing, until the bank account thing is ironed out.  I may not have understood your post, though.  :-\

Tzimis

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ainnir said:
Right.  Functionally that's the same as nothing, until the bank account thing is ironed out.  I may not have understood your post, though.  :-\
If he requests a check. He can cash it at a check cashing facility.