• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

How do Oriental and Eastern Orthodox view original sin?

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
He's jealous he isn't smart. So he resorts to bulling tactics.
20,000 + posts full of cough! And not one donation.
I have Covid-19. Coughing is a symptom.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
What does this have to do with original sin?
Well, it all started here:
No, we don't. We inherit death, the result of sin. A baby isn't born sinful.
That isn't entirety true.
So what is entirely true?
Lets look at it this way. The consequence of sin is death right? So that begs the question. Whey do people die if they have no sin?
You still haven't answered my question, so I will repeat it.
If the consequence for sin is death, why do people still die who are sinless?
Because the world is fallen. Christ died.
Your religion teaches that Christ is dead?
The rest we know.

Stephen Philips

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Coptic
Tzimis has agreed that Christ physically underwent the process of death, and that His human soul separated from His human Body, while His divinity remained one with both. What remains to be discussed is whether or not sin is inherited, as St. Augustine taught. As well, we ought to address how we look at personal sin in Orthodox soteriology. But none of this should even be discussed if the rude tone is going to continue. We would be adding condemnation to ourselves. Forgive my sternness, but I think I'm right about what I'm saying.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Tzimis has agreed that Christ physically underwent the process of death, and that His human soul separated from His human Body, while His divinity remained one with both. What remains to be discussed is whether or not sin is inherited, as St. Augustine taught. As well, we ought to address how we look at personal sin in Orthodox soteriology. But none of this should even be discussed if the rude tone is going to continue. We would be adding condemnation to ourselves. Forgive my sternness, but I think I'm right about what I'm saying.
If you believe that's what Tzimis wrote, ok. If you believe you are being stern, ok.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
You sound like a reasonable fellow. Believe me, I'm correct. That is why I stated earlier that the OO do not have a concept of it. They object to the "Tome of st leo." So they will never agree with him.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
Tome of saint Leo:

“The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee, and therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God;” as if, because the Virgin’s conception was caused by a divine act, therefore the flesh of him whom she conceived was not of the nature of her who conceived him. But we are not to understand that “generation,” peerlessly wonderful, and wonderfully peerless, in such a sense as that the newness of the mode of production did away with the proper character of the kind. For it was the Holy Ghost who gave fecundity to the Virgin, but it was from a body that a real body was derived; and “when Wisdom was building herself a house,” the “Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us,” that is, in that flesh which he assumed from a human being, and which he animated with the spirit of rational life.

Accordingly while the distinctness of both natures and substances was preserved, and both met in one Person, lowliness was assumed by majesty, weakness by power, mortality by eternity; and, in order to pay the debt of our condition, the inviolable nature was united to the passible, so that as the appropriate remedy for our ills, one and the same “Mediator between God and man, the Man Christ Jesus,” might from one element be capable of dying and also from the other be incapable. Therefore in the entire and perfect nature of very man was born very God, whole in what was his, whole in what was ours. By “ours” we mean what the Creator formed in us at the beginning and what he assumed in order to restore; for of that which the deceiver brought in, and man, thus deceived, admitted, there was not a trace in the Saviour; and the fact that he took on himself a share in our infirmities did not make him a partaker in our transgressions. He assumed “the form of a servant” without the defilement of sin.

Wandile

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Catholic Church - Roman rite
Jurisdiction
Archdiocese of Pretoria
Tzimis will say that Christ did not die.
This is unfair to Tzimis.

He is simply holding to a strict distinction between the two natures of Christ. That is, that the divine nature (He uses “the Word” to signify this) did not die but rather his humanity/flesh suffered death. This is the tome of St Leo verbatim. He as also shown that even St Athanasius taught similarly.

Jesus Christ, God the Son, died in the flesh.

Stephen Philips

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Coptic
I don’t understand what it is you think the OO don’t have a concept of. If you think that Leo taught a new and correct theology, that was not in the earlier fathers, then it sounds like you are adopting the Roman Catholic view of development of dogma. The Oriental Orthodox Church rejected Chalcedon for Orthodox reasons

Last edited:

Stephen Philips

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Coptic

I think we should move this thread to OO discussion. There is a Coptic very scholarly priest on that forum named Fr Peter who I think can address whatever it is you object to better than me

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
I don’t understand what it is you think the OO don’t have a concept of. If you think that Leo taught a new and correct theology, that was not in the earlier fathers, then it sounds like you are adopting the Roman Catholic view of development of dogma. The Oriental Orthodox Church rejected Chalcedon for Orthodox reasons
What Orthodox reasons? I'm Orthodox and so is that Council.

Stephen Philips

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Coptic
What Orthodox reasons? I'm Orthodox and so is that Council.
I encourage you to read the article linked above. Here it is: http://www.stgeorgeministry.com/oriental-orthodox-rejection-chalcedon/ I can send you more material on this topic. That being said, I'm still not sure what it is that you think the Oriental Orthodox church doesn't have a concept of?
Is Mary the Mother of God or only the Mother of the body of the Word?
I think Mor Ephrem brought up a genuine concern about why your language may be problematic and may lead to Nestorianisim. This concern should be addressed as well.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
I encourage you to read the article linked above. Here it is: http://www.stgeorgeministry.com/oriental-orthodox-rejection-chalcedon/ I can send you more material on this topic. That being said, I'm still not sure what it is that you think the Oriental Orthodox church doesn't have a concept of?

I think Mor Ephrem brought up a genuine concern about why your language may be problematic and may lead to Nestorianisim. This concern should be addressed as well.
Fr. Peter and I have discussed this before. No need to go there, just do a search.

You still haven't answered my question.

Why do people die if they have no sin?

Stephen Philips

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Coptic
Fr. Peter and I have discussed this before. No need to go there, just do a search.

You still haven't answered my question.

Why do people die if they have no sin?
That question has been addressed by multiple members of this forum already, and I am beginning to gain the impression that your goal is to debate, rather than to have a dialogue, or to seek an answer to a question. Seeing this, I will not comment again on this thread. In reality, I am theologically uneducated and absolutely not qualified to debate anyone.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
That question has been addressed by multiple members of this forum already, and I am beginning to gain the impression that your goal is to debate, rather than to have a dialogue, or to seek an answer to a question. Seeing this, I will not comment again on this thread. In reality, I am theologically uneducated and absolutely not qualified to debate anyone.
Nore am I, but it does beg the question.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
In a way, I respect Tzimis for demonstrating that Oriental Orthodox concerns about the Nestorian-leaning language of the Tome of Leo/Council of Chalcedon are as valid and substantial today as they were in the fifth century.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
In a way, I respect Tzimis for demonstrating that Oriental Orthodox concerns about the Nestorian-leaning language of the Tome of Leo/Council of Chalcedon are as valid and substantial today as they were in the fifth century.
I appreciate you as well. In fact, I kinda like you. Not in a gay way ofcourse. 😉

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
I appreciate you as well. In fact, I kinda like you. Not in a gay way ofcourse. 😉
You can like me in a gay way if you want. I wouldn’t reciprocate, but neither would I blame you for having excellent taste.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
You can like me in a gay way if you want. I wouldn’t reciprocate, but neither would I blame you for having excellent taste.
A Greek being gay isn't a surprise to anyone.

LukeDM

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
DOWAMA
He's jealous he isn't smart. So he resorts to bulling tactics.
20,000 + posts full of cough! And not one donation.
Didn't realize people on this forum shamed others for not supporting it. That's a great way to make sure our guests don't want to join and contribute themselves.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
Didn't realize people on this forum shamed others for not supporting it. That's a great way to make sure our guests don't want to join and contribute themselves.
Whats a shame is not following the advice of St. Isaac you have listed in your signature.

LukeDM

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
DOWAMA
Whats a shame is not following the advice of St. Isaac you have listed in your signature.
Maybe I was just being compassionate toward Hecma.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
Maybe I was just being compassionate toward Hecma.
It seems you are locked in the know about peoples finances.
Besides, Hecma is a grown man. "I think" and seems quite capable at fighting his own battles.