• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

How do the Orthodox Approach Universalism

bwallace23350

Reaction score
Faith
Anglican
Jurisdiction
ACNA
From my understanding it is something that can be hoped for but it can't be taught as true. In this you are all are more flexible than those in the West for the most part.

Michael Seraphim

BANNED
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction
Ecumenical Patriarchate
Universal Salvation = the Deliverance of all mankind and the cosmos from Death = Resurrection of the Dead = Death and the kingdom of Death shall be thrown into the Lake of Fire

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Antioch
I believe what you have said is accurate. Bishop Kallistos ( Timothy) Ware in his book: The Orthodox Church, writes, “It is heretical to say that all must be saved, for this is to deny free will; but it is legitimate to hope that all may be saved.” ( Chapter 12: The Church of God).

Last edited:

Jude1:3

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
•The Fifth Ecumenical Council - The Second Council of Constantinople. (553 A.D.)

• The Anathematisms of the Emperor Justinian Against Origen.

If anyone says or thinks that the punishment of demons and of impious men is only temporary, and will one day have an end, and that a restoration (apokatastasij) will take place of demons and of impious men, Let Him Be Anathema.

Anathema to Origen and to that Adamantius, who set forth these opinions together with his nefarious and execrable and wicked doctrine and to whomsoever there is who thinks thus, or defends these opinions, or in any way hereafter at any time shall presume to protect them.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
From my understanding it is something that can be hoped for but it can't be taught as true.
Yes, that's a well-known position, at least in the English-speaking world (I don't know about Russia, Greece, etc.)