• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

How do you get to Holy Trinity Monastery without a car?

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Apr 10, 2012
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I want to visit Holy Trinity Monastery in upstate New York but this is one of the few monasteries that doesn't offer to have you picked up (which I can understand). I was looking on Google maps and it seems to be about 3 hours away from LaGuardia Airport but unfortunately I couldn't find any buses or trains that go up that way. I can't rent a car because I don't have a credit card and I'll be there for 2 weeks so renting a car for two weeks will add up. Is it realistic to take a taxi? And even if I could do that, are there many taxi's coming back from upstate? I really need to visit this monastery but I am finding quite the issue on how to get there and back. Maybe some of you locals might know better!?

Thanks
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
9
Points
38
Age
38
Location
PA, USA
There's always someone willing to drive you somewhere and pick you up from there if you're willing to pay enough.
 

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Apr 10, 2012
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Iconodule said:
There's always someone willing to drive you somewhere and pick you up from there if you're willing to pay enough.
How does one find said people?
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
9
Points
38
Age
38
Location
PA, USA
According to the monastery website, the nearest Amtrak station is in Utica, and from there to Jordanville is a $50 cab ride. If you call a local taxi company they can likely arrange for someone to take you back again.
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,509
Reaction score
269
Points
83
Age
41
If you do go the cab route, just make absolutely clear to them that this is a situation where you'd be stranded if they don't come; it's entirely possible for a company to commit to transporting you and then deciding they don't have anyone available after all, especially if it's out of the way for them. Apparently besides regular cabs there are also Ubers in Utica, at least theoretically.
 

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Joined
May 22, 2011
Messages
15,089
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Age
34
Peacemaker said:
Iconodule said:
There's always someone willing to drive you somewhere and pick you up from there if you're willing to pay enough.
How does one find said people?
Well, you could try Craigslist, just take the usual precautions. Maybe also Google or call around and see if your city has some other kind of webpage where people can trade goods and services. Maybe you can offer to do something for them in return.

I was going to recommend Freecycle. But taking a closer look, I don't know if people offer services through it. Might be worth a look, though...
 

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Apr 10, 2012
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Are there other airports into NY I don't know about? The only ones I see are near Long Island, JFK and LaGuardia.

EDIT: Never mind, I guess there is an airport in Albany NY. Jordanville is an hour away from Albany.
 

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
20,217
Reaction score
367
Points
83
Age
159
Location
The South
Greyhound can get you to Cooperstown.  Same thing, though.  You'll need a cab.
 

IreneOlinyk

High Elder
Joined
Sep 28, 2009
Messages
897
Reaction score
4
Points
18
Peacemaker said:
I want to visit Holy Trinity Monastery in upstate New York but this is one of the few monasteries that doesn't offer to have you picked up (which I can understand). I was looking on Google maps and it seems to be about 3 hours away from LaGuardia Airport but unfortunately I couldn't find any buses or trains that go up that way. I can't rent a car because I don't have a credit card and I'll be there for 2 weeks so renting a car for two weeks will add up. Is it realistic to take a taxi? And even if I could do that, are there many taxi's coming back from upstate? I really need to visit this monastery but I am finding quite the issue on how to get there and back. Maybe some of you locals might know better!?

Thanks
Did you book your room for two weeks at the monastery guesthouse by phone?  I am surprised that no one asked you at that time how you would be arriving. 
 

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Oct 4, 2012
Messages
1,552
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
42
Pray, pray, pray?

I mean if you get to Carnegie Hall by "practice, practice, practice"...  ;)

Anyway, taxi/Uber/Lyft from Albany airport would probably work.
 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
36,283
Reaction score
166
Points
63
Age
39
Location
New York!
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Honestly, I would contact the ROCOR parish in Colonie and see if the clergy know of any parishioners going to Jordanville during the dates of your trip.  When I was a student there, I used to go to Jordanville with fellow college students who went to that parish but would go to the monastery quite often.
 

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 21, 2006
Messages
2,968
Reaction score
14
Points
38
Mor Ephrem said:
Honestly, I would contact the ROCOR parish in Colonie and see if the clergy know of any parishioners going to Jordanville during the dates of your trip.  When I was a student there, I used to go to Jordanville with fellow college students who went to that parish but would go to the monastery quite often.
Good advice.
 

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Joined
May 22, 2011
Messages
15,089
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Age
34
I like the design of the car of the chariot. Reminds me of the Ramayana.
 

Orest

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Jun 14, 2007
Messages
1,567
Reaction score
1
Points
36
I am just wondering if you already have permission to stay at the monastery as long as two weeks.  Why? Because this is a very, very popular time of the year to visit.
Whenever I visited I made sure to book my stay a long time ahead. 
Also to stay as long as two weeks you have to contact the abbot himself for permission.

This is clearly listed on their web site:

Visiting the Monastery
Monastery Guest House


Attention all pilgrims and visitors

Individuals that wish to make an overnight or weekend trip to visit the monastery should contact the guesthouse to make arrangements for their stay. Longer visits may also be arranged, but individuals should seek a blessing from our abbot. 


https://jordanville.org/visiting.html


Guesthouse contact: Marian Peko
Email: guesthouse@email.com
Telephone: (315) 858-0131
The monastery guesthouse is a good walk along a road from the monastery but usually other guests with a car will over you a ride. 
 

noahzarc1

High Elder
Site Supporter
Joined
Apr 22, 2018
Messages
762
Reaction score
66
Points
28
Peacemaker said:
I want to visit Holy Trinity Monastery in upstate New York but this is one of the few monasteries that doesn't offer to have you picked up (which I can understand). I was looking on Google maps and it seems to be about 3 hours away from LaGuardia Airport but unfortunately I couldn't find any buses or trains that go up that way. I can't rent a car because I don't have a credit card and I'll be there for 2 weeks so renting a car for two weeks will add up. Is it realistic to take a taxi? And even if I could do that, are there many taxi's coming back from upstate? I really need to visit this monastery but I am finding quite the issue on how to get there and back. Maybe some of you locals might know better!?

Thanks
A simple search of Uber's website indicates you can take an Uber from La Guardia to the Monastery for about $375.00. I am sure you can easily catch an Uber back. If you have someone to carpool with, that might make it cheaper. Uber will pretty much take you anywhere nowadays.
 

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
20,217
Reaction score
367
Points
83
Age
159
Location
The South
hecma925 said:
Greyhound can get you to Cooperstown.  Same thing, though.  You'll need a cab.
Or walk.  It's only 20 miles.
 

Rubricnigel

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Dec 19, 2017
Messages
1,515
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
244
Location
USA
Is there a local church with 50 miles? If so call the priest and explain your situation. Maybe someone could drop you off from a-b for gas money.
Dont be afraid to ask. Be careful with Craigslist, random people.

Ill pray for a safe trip. God bless.
 

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Apr 10, 2012
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Orest said:
I am just wondering if you already have permission to stay at the monastery as long as two weeks.  Why? Because this is a very, very popular time of the year to visit.
Whenever I visited I made sure to book my stay a long time ahead. 
Also to stay as long as two weeks you have to contact the abbot himself for permission.

This is clearly listed on their web site:

Visiting the Monastery
Monastery Guest House


Attention all pilgrims and visitors

Individuals that wish to make an overnight or weekend trip to visit the monastery should contact the guesthouse to make arrangements for their stay. Longer visits may also be arranged, but individuals should seek a blessing from our abbot. 


https://jordanville.org/visiting.html


Guesthouse contact: Marian Peko
Email: guesthouse@email.com
Telephone: (315) 858-0131
The monastery guesthouse is a good walk along a road from the monastery but usually other guests with a car will over you a ride.
I have permission to stay for up to three months if I wanted because it's a vocational visit.
 

Orest

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Jun 14, 2007
Messages
1,567
Reaction score
1
Points
36
In that case when you phone or e-mail them to tell them the day you are arriving just ask if someone can pick up up at the greyhound bus station in Cooperstown.  If no one can then take a taxi from the bus station.
 

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Apr 10, 2012
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Orest said:
In that case when you phone or e-mail them to tell them the day you are arriving just ask if someone can pick up up at the greyhound bus station in Cooperstown.  If no one can then take a taxi from the bus station.
A greyhound form the airport?
 

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Apr 10, 2012
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
0
Points
0
PROBLEM SOLVED!

One of the monks got back to me and said this, "The closest airports to the monastery are Albany and Syracuse.  Try to see if you could fly into these places, if it is not economically prohibitive.  You can take a bus from Syracuse to Utica, which is only half an hour from the monastery,  and we could arrange to have you picked up from the bus station there.  If you fly into Albany, we can also make arrangements to get you here, although Syracuse and Utica option would be more convenient."
 

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Apr 29, 2015
Messages
6,228
Reaction score
299
Points
83
Age
37
Praise God!  :)
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,509
Reaction score
269
Points
83
Age
41
Kind of let down that teleportation isn't involved, but that works as well!
 

WPM

Taxiarches
Joined
Jan 6, 2012
Messages
7,775
Reaction score
6
Points
0
Age
38
Peacemaker said:
PROBLEM SOLVED!

One of the monks got back to me and said this, "The closest airports to the monastery are Albany and Syracuse.  Try to see if you could fly into these places, if it is not economically prohibitive.  You can take a bus from Syracuse to Utica, which is only half an hour from the monastery,  and we could arrange to have you picked up from the bus station there.  If you fly into Albany, we can also make arrangements to get you here, although Syracuse and Utica option would be more convenient."
. . . :)
 
Top