How Jewish was Jesus?

FlickFlack

Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
FlickFlack said:
LizaSymonenko said:
Asteriktos said:
Jesus was a Jew that God loved. Jesus was a Jew that loved God. Jesus was is a God that loved Jews.

....fixed that for you.  :)

According to Jewish law, a child born to a Jewish mother (which the Virgin Mary was) or an adult who has converted to Judaism is considered a Jew; one does not have to reaffirm their Jewishness or practice any of the laws of the Torah to be Jewish.

Are you saying Jesus did not practice the laws of the Torah?

Yet he was a religious Jew.What type of religion did he had?Was he a Rabbi also?Doesn't a Rabbi need special appointing?How would he and his followers look like and how would they have worship?

Why does it matter?  The degree of His Jewishness....has little to do with his ministry.  Don't look at what He was....look to what He taught.

It matters enormously , at least from my pov and for me, to get a better picture on how the historical Jesus may have looked alike.

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
FlickFlack said:
Ansgar said:
FlickFlack said:
Ansgar said:
FlickFlack said:
Ansgar said:
FlickFlack said:
yeshuaisiam said:
He was very Jewish.

He taught in the temples, he attended Jewish services in the temples - he was circumcised, his mother was Jewish, Joseph was Jewish, the 12 apostles were Jewish, he kept the Sabbath, recognized the Sabbath, and only bumped head with the pharisees on the radicalness they imposed on the Sabbath.

He fulfilled Jewish prophecy.  He even stated "salvation comes from the Jews".
So what type of Jew would you say He was?Pharisee, Sadducee, Ebionite?From what school of thought did he came?
You have to remember that the Pharisees, the Sadducees and all the others were political and religious parties. Not all jews belonged to one specific group.
How do you know this? And wouldn't that exclude them from partaking in the religious life of that time?
You only have to read the bible. All the groups, whith whom Jesus argues, are described as parties, outside the general population.

Secondly, it only makes sense. There have never been a society, where the whole population were directly involved in religious or political organizations.
And?Some might also have nothing on the Mosaic religion.Some could have been pagans or atheists.In demography there is no totaliarism.
You asked me how I could know that Jesus was not part of any of the above mentioned groups and I gave you and answer. Why are you replying by stating what I have already said?
As Schultz said, most of the people were probably just jews. Nothing more, nothing less.
Jesus was a religious Jew not an atheist Jew nor a pagan one, or do you disagree with this statement?

In the first century one could not have been a Jew of the covenant without bonding to the religious authorities of those times.You would need the Levitical/Aaronic priesthood to mediate and offer sacrifices to God and perform the religion of the Old Testament and sustain the worship of the Old Testament.
Nobody here has ever claimed that all jews at that time were observant. The term "Jew" can refer both to the adherents of the jewish religion as well as the jewish people, who are defined as those who are born of a jewish mother (at least as far as I know).

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
FlickFlack said:
LizaSymonenko said:
FlickFlack said:
LizaSymonenko said:
Asteriktos said:
Jesus was a Jew that God loved. Jesus was a Jew that loved God. Jesus was is a God that loved Jews.

....fixed that for you.  :)

According to Jewish law, a child born to a Jewish mother (which the Virgin Mary was) or an adult who has converted to Judaism is considered a Jew; one does not have to reaffirm their Jewishness or practice any of the laws of the Torah to be Jewish.

Yet he was a religious Jew.What type of religion did he had?Was he a Rabbi also?Doesn't a Rabbi need special appointing?How would he and his followers look like and how would they have worship?

Why does it matter?  The degree of His Jewishness....has little to do with his ministry.  Don't look at what He was....look to what He taught.

It matters enormously , at least from my pov and for me, to get a better picture on how the historical Jesus may have looked alike.

Here is a recontructed image, made by scientists, of how an average man from that area, at the time of Christ could have looked like.

FlickFlack

Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
FlickFlack said:
LizaSymonenko said:
Asteriktos said:

....fixed that for you.  :)

Why does it matter?  The degree of His Jewishness....has little to do with his ministry.  Don't look at what He was....look to what He taught.

What he taught seems to comprise more greek, buddhist, hindus philosophy than rabbinical judaism philosophy and OT dubiousness.

Romaios

Archon
Reaction score
FlickFlack said:
What he taught seems to comprise more greek, buddhist, hindus philosophy than rabbinical judaism philosophy and OT dubiousness.
He sure quotes a lot of "OT dubiousness" for a Greek philosopher or a Hindu guru! As for the Judaisms of his day, they were more than one and not yet "rabbinical". The ancestors of rabbinical Judaism were the Pharisees. Flavius Josephus describes them as a sect/school (hairesis) among others.

choy

Archon
Reaction score
FlickFlack said:
choy said:
What is the scale of how Jewish someone is for us to say how Jewish they are?
The scale is nominal Judaism.
So do I say something like, "he's Adam Sandler-ish Jew"?

akimel

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
afkimel.wordpress.com
FlickFlack said:
How Jewish was Jesus?
100%!!!

That's the whole point of the genealogies in Matthew and Luke; that's the whole point of Jesus' circumcision and his presentation in the Temple; that's the whole point of the OT prophesies about the Messiah, now fulfilled in the Nazarene; that's the whole point of Jesus' conversation with the Samaritan woman at the well; that's the whole point of the apostolic claim that Christ has broken down the boundaries between Jew and Gentile, etc., etc.  The New Testament makes no sense at all if Jesus is not Jewish.

"But when the time had fully come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons" (Gal 4:4-5). 

Being a Jew has nothing to do with the question of Jesus' relationship to the Pharisees and Saduccees.  That's like asking if he was a Republican or Democrat.  Jesus was born of a Jewish mother.  Jesus was circumcised.  Jesus was raised as a Jew.  Jesus was taught Torah.  Jesus participated fully in the ritual and sacrificial life of his people.  Jesus celebrated Passover.  Jesus was arrested and condemned by the Jewish authorities as a messianic pretender and condemned by the Roman authorities as a Jewish insurrectionist. 

The offense of the gospel may be summed up thusly:  the Savior of the world is a Jew!

FlickFlack

Reaction score
Romaios said:
FlickFlack said:
He sure quotes a lot of "OT dubiousness" for a Greek philosopher or a Hindu guru! As for the Judaisms of his day, they were more than one and not yet "rabbinical". The ancestors of rabbinical Judaism were the Pharisees. Flavius Josephus describes them as a sect/school (hairesis) among others.
I don't see Jesus sustaining executions, murder, genocide, strucking people down and others as such in the NT. You can't know for sure what Jesus actually said, if he existed. You can only know what was attributed to him first at least 30 years after his death by an indirect witness.

What I meant was the philosophy of the Jewish authorities on the time of Jesus..

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
FlickFlack said:
Romaios said:
FlickFlack said:
I don't see Jesus sustaining executions, murder, genocide, strucking people down and others as such in the NT. You can't know for sure what Jesus actually said, if he existed. You can only know what was attributed to him first at least 30 years after his death by an indirect witness.

What I meant was the philosophy of the Jewish authorities on the time of Jesus..
What do you mean "if" He existed?

Are you an Orthodox Christian?

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
You can't know for sure what Jesus actually said, if he existed. You can only know what was attributed to him first at least 30 years after his death by an indirect witness.
Much of what we know about history, comes from sources that was written a long time after the events occured. For example, much of what we know about the first emperor of China, comes from the Shiji, which was written about a hundred years after the emperors death. And much of what was written in the chronicle, has turned out to be correct.

FlickFlack

Reaction score
akimel said:
FlickFlack said:
How Jewish was Jesus?
100%!!!

That's the whole point of the genealogies in Matthew and Luke; that's the whole point of Jesus' circumcision and his presentation in the Temple; that's the whole point of the OT prophesies about the Messiah, now fulfilled in the Nazarene; that's the whole point of Jesus' conversation with the Samaritan woman at the well; that's the whole point of the apostolic claim that Christ has broken down the boundaries between Jew and Gentile, etc., etc.  The New Testament makes no sense at all if Jesus is not Jewish.

"But when the time had fully come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons" (Gal 4:4-5).  

Being a Jew has nothing to do with the question of Jesus' relationship to the Pharisees and Saduccees.  That's like asking if he was a Republican or Democrat.  Jesus was born of a Jewish mother.  Jesus was circumcised.  Jesus was raised as a Jew.  Jesus was taught Torah.  Jesus participated fully in the ritual and sacrificial life of his people.  Jesus celebrated Passover.  Jesus was arrested and condemned by the Jewish authorities as a messianic pretender and condemned by the Roman authorities as a Jewish insurrectionist.  

The offense of the gospel may be summed up thusly:  the Savior of the world is a Jew!
What proof do you have that Jesus was raised as a Jew, thought the Torah and that he participated in the ritual and sacrificial life of his people? For example there are circumstances when Jesus is not mentioned as participating on the Jewish feasts from the beginning.. Jesus is portraited as purposely healing on the Sabbath and in John even says that he loose/broke the Sabbath. Than he appears to imply that all foods are clean, Mark even has it said "thus making all foods clean".. There is no mention of an actual Paschal Lamb at the Meal of the Last Supper.

If Jewishness is taken matrilineal than why does Joseph appear in both genealogies?

FlickFlack

Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
FlickFlack said:
Romaios said:
FlickFlack said:

Yes, but I prefer to keep an eye on skepticism for the sake of realism.

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
FlickFlack said:
akimel said:
FlickFlack said:
How Jewish was Jesus?
100%!!!

That's the whole point of the genealogies in Matthew and Luke; that's the whole point of Jesus' circumcision and his presentation in the Temple; that's the whole point of the OT prophesies about the Messiah, now fulfilled in the Nazarene; that's the whole point of Jesus' conversation with the Samaritan woman at the well; that's the whole point of the apostolic claim that Christ has broken down the boundaries between Jew and Gentile, etc., etc.  The New Testament makes no sense at all if Jesus is not Jewish.

Being a Jew has nothing to do with the question of Jesus' relationship to the Pharisees and Saduccees.  That's like asking if he was a Republican or Democrat.  Jesus was born of a Jewish mother.  Jesus was circumcised.  Jesus was raised as a Jew.  Jesus was taught Torah.  Jesus participated fully in the ritual and sacrificial life of his people.  Jesus celebrated Passover.  Jesus was arrested and condemned by the Jewish authorities as a messianic pretender and condemned by the Roman authorities as a Jewish insurrectionist.  

The offense of the gospel may be summed up thusly:  the Savior of the world is a Jew!
Those genealogies are inconsistent.. What proof do you have that Jesus was raised as a Jew, thought the Torah and that he participated in the ritual and sacrificial life of his people? For example there are circumstances when Jesus is not mentioned as participating on the Jewish feasts from the beginning.. Jesus is portraited as purposely healing on the Sabbath and in John even says that he loose/broke the Sabbath. Than he appears to imply that all foods are clean, Mark even has it said "thus making all foods clean".. There is no mention of an actual Paschal Lamb at the Meal of the Last Supper.There is an inconsistency between the synoptics and the Gospel of John regarding the days.. There are inconsistencies between stories..    In various circumstances John the Baptist is said to tell people that Jesus was indeed the Messiah and that they should follow him and that God revealed him that he was the Messiah, though later before his death he sents his disciples to ask him if he really was the Messiah..
What you mention are petty details. Do you expect the authors of the gospels to write down every single detail about Jesus' movements and surroundings?
Regarding John the baptist, that is a little thing, called doubt. That does not in any way imply inconsistency.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
FlickFlack said:
LizaSymonenko said:
FlickFlack said:
Romaios said:
FlickFlack said:

So, do you believe Christ existed or not?

FlickFlack

Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
FlickFlack said:
LizaSymonenko said:
FlickFlack said:
Romaios said:
FlickFlack said:

What kind of questions are this? Do you believe Christ existed?Are you an Orthodox Christian?

sheenj

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
FlickFlack said:
LizaSymonenko said:
FlickFlack said:
LizaSymonenko said:
FlickFlack said:
Romaios said:
FlickFlack said:

What kind of questions are this? Do you believe Christ existed?Are you an Orthodox Christian?
Christ existing is pretty much the Foundation of Orthodoxy and Christianity as a whole. You've indicated that you might not believe this. That's why you're getting these questions.

Symeon77

Reaction score
FlickFlack-

I am not sure anyone here can adequately engage with your questions until such time as you can reveal a bit more of your relationship to the Church. Do you pray? Do you keep the fasts? Do you participate in the sacraments?, etc.

You list your faith as Orthodox, yet you consistently display a propensity to entertain theological and other opinions far outside of the orbit of the Orthodox faith and a concomitant unwillingness to hear about the teachings of the Church on these selfsame matters. I have suggested elsewhere that perhaps a fitting path for you would be to discuss these matters directly with someone within the Church more qualified to address these questions, but in the event that you have missed my suggestion: perhaps you could begin with your parish Priest, asking him to direct you to an Elder or Bishop with a reputation for holiness of life and adherence to the rule of faith? I think of someone like Metropolitan Heirotheos of Nafpaktos, Metropolitan Athanasios of Limassol, Archimandrite Elissaios of Simonos Petras, Mount Athos, etc., as I have gathered that you reside somewhere in Greece.

Please do not take offence, as I am simply trying to help, but you must be willing to listen to your Orthodox brothers and sisters over and above modern-day 'Jews', Protestants, heathens, atheists and sundry heretics. May God grant you this willingness!

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Symeon77 said:
sundry heretics
Cutest.
          Adjective.
                        For.
                              Heretic.
                                          Ever.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Symeon77 said:
...as I have gathered that you reside somewhere in Greece...
If we can figure out which banned poster he was before he made this new name, we might be able to figure out where he's from. What was your last username FlickFlack?

akimel

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
afkimel.wordpress.com
FlickFlack said:
What proof do you have that Jesus was raised as a Jew, thought the Torah and that he participated in the ritual and sacrificial life of his people? For example there are circumstances when Jesus is not mentioned as participating on the Jewish feasts from the beginning.. Jesus is portraited as purposely healing on the Sabbath and in John even says that he loose/broke the Sabbath. Than he appears to imply that all foods are clean, Mark even has it said "thus making all foods clean". There is no mention of an actual Paschal Lamb at the Meal of the Last Supper.

If Jewishness is taken matrilineal than why does Joseph appear in both genealogies?
FlickFlack, you ask me for proof.  I could, of course, just reverse the question, as I think that the burden of proof is on your shoulders.  No reputable biblical scholar or historian would question the Jewishness of Jesus.  You ask me proof that Jesus participated in Temple sacrifices.  I ask you proof that Jesus did not!  Did his opponents ever accuse him of not participating in the sacrifices?  Do you think it likely that Jesus never participated with his family in the Passover? 

That Jesus broke specific taboos regarding ritual eating or healing on the Sabbath does not disprove his Jewishness.  It only proves that he did not follow the Pharisees in their interpretation of Torah.  I think you have a skewed understanding of what it means to be Jewish.   

If you really want to understand Jesus of Nazareth, I suggest that you begin reading the works of N. T. Wright.  A good place to begin would be The Original Jesus, The Challenge of Jesus, and Simply Jesus.

The Savior of the world is a Jew!  That is the good news!

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
FlickFlack said:
LizaSymonenko said:
FlickFlack said:
LizaSymonenko said:
FlickFlack said:
Romaios said:
FlickFlack said:

Questions that allow moderators to better manage the forum. Please, answer them. Either privately via PM or publicly here. That's official moderational request.

I'd also like you to answer 3rd question: who is your bishop?

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
akimel said:
FlickFlack said:
How Jewish was Jesus?
100%!!!

That's the whole point of the genealogies in Matthew and Luke; that's the whole point of Jesus' circumcision and his presentation in the Temple; that's the whole point of the OT prophesies about the Messiah, now fulfilled in the Nazarene; that's the whole point of Jesus' conversation with the Samaritan woman at the well; that's the whole point of the apostolic claim that Christ has broken down the boundaries between Jew and Gentile, etc., etc.  The New Testament makes no sense at all if Jesus is not Jewish.

Being a Jew has nothing to do with the question of Jesus' relationship to the Pharisees and Saduccees.  That's like asking if he was a Republican or Democrat.  Jesus was born of a Jewish mother.  Jesus was circumcised.  Jesus was raised as a Jew.  Jesus was taught Torah.  Jesus participated fully in the ritual and sacrificial life of his people.  Jesus celebrated Passover.  Jesus was arrested and condemned by the Jewish authorities as a messianic pretender and condemned by the Roman authorities as a Jewish insurrectionist. 

The offense of the gospel may be summed up thusly:  the Savior of the world is a Jew!
Sorry that your answer seems to have fallen on less than sympathetic ears (eyes?), but thanks for the time and effort to make a sincere and well written effort!

yeshuaisiam

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
FlickFlack said:
yeshuaisiam said:
He was very Jewish.

He taught in the temples, he attended Jewish services in the temples - he was circumcised, his mother was Jewish, Joseph was Jewish, the 12 apostles were Jewish, he kept the Sabbath, recognized the Sabbath, and only bumped head with the pharisees on the radicalness they imposed on the Sabbath.

He fulfilled Jewish prophecy.  He even stated "salvation comes from the Jews".

It is said he broke the sabbath, he did not show up on the Jewish holidays and others as such. How do we know he was a Jew?His circumcision and other Jewish rituals as such had nothing to do with his(human) will and has always interfere with the Jewish authorities of that time.His philosophy was beyond the narrow Jewish one and had incorporated the wide philosophy of all religions and a philosophy of liberty.We can't really know exactly what he said, the first gospel was written after at least 30 years after his death by Mark who was an indirect witness the scholars say.And the one who wrote in his Gospel that part was apparently not present at the conversation Jesus had when he said this , because all the apostles were gone when he spoke with the Samaritan woman.
Actually he didn't break the Sabbath, he was showing the radical belief that the Jews made of the Sabbath.  They defined "healing a man" as "work" however, he thought differently.  And why not, after all he was God.

It is only listed the holidays that he was not at, thus we can only assume he was at holidays.

His circumcision was proof of his existence within the Jewish community, thus raised Jewish.

The book of Matthew, was the first hand witness, written by the Apostle Matthew who would have had witnessed the events.

Mark (Has been debated) but Luke was not a first hand account.

John... Well I can't touch that here.

I can't answer the question "what kind of Jew was he".  He was absolutely a Jew though, that brought salvation and established HIS church.

yeshuaisiam

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
FlickFlack said:
LizaSymonenko said:
FlickFlack said:
LizaSymonenko said:
Asteriktos said:

....fixed that for you.  :)

Why does it matter?  The degree of His Jewishness....has little to do with his ministry.  Don't look at what He was....look to what He taught.

I don't agree with you.  What he taught was his 2nd covenant.  Sure anybody can "compare" philosophy and make quick "ah - ha's".

Hindus are polytheistic, and their philosophy does not show similar.

In the peaceful understanding "golden rule" one could compare this with Christ, however, that's a pretty basic teaching that many cultures adapted. 

He taught many things of the Jews, quoted Jewish prophets, recognized the Sabbath...
Dunno where you are going with this.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Schultz said:
trevor72694 said:
FlickFlack said:
Jesus...prayed in the Hebrew language
I thought that the Jews in that time spoke Aramaic? 
Spoke Aramaic.  Prayed in Hebrew.  Kind of like speaking in Italian and praying in Latin.
Really? I didn't know that the Jews spoke Aramaic. I always assumed that they probably spoke Latin since they were occupied by the Romans and that maybe they prayed in Koine Greek since the Septuagint at the time was written in Greek.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Really? I didn't know that the Jews spoke Aramaic. I always assumed that they probably spoke Latin since they were occupied by the Romans and that maybe they prayed in Koine Greek since the Septuagint at the time was written in Greek.
Unfortunately, that's a feature not only of American educational system.

Reaction score
Michał Kalina said:
JamesR said:
Unfortunately, that's a feature not only of American educational system.
Yes , I grew up with the same impression now that you mention it, though I learned the truth a long time ago.

pmpn8rGPT

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
depends on your definition of Jewish

if you mean the humble servants of God in the OT than in His Humanity He is the ultimate Jew and in His Divinity He is their master

if you mean the modern day talmud-reading kosher-eating peace-hating media-running ZIONIST kaballistic "jews" than He is not a Jew.

FlickFlack

Reaction score
yeshuaisiam said:
FlickFlack said:
yeshuaisiam said:
He was very Jewish.

He fulfilled Jewish prophecy.  He even stated "salvation comes from the Jews".

It is said he broke the sabbath, he did not show up on the Jewish holidays and others as such. How do we know he was a Jew?His circumcision and other Jewish rituals as such had nothing to do with his(human) will and has always interfere with the Jewish authorities of that time.His philosophy was beyond the narrow Jewish one and had incorporated the wide philosophy of all religions and a philosophy of liberty.We can't really know exactly what he said, the first gospel was written after at least 30 years after his death by Mark who was an indirect witness the scholars say.And the one who wrote in his Gospel that part was apparently not present at the conversation Jesus had when he said this , because all the apostles were gone when he spoke with the Samaritan woman.
Actually he didn't break the Sabbath, he was showing the radical belief that the Jews made of the Sabbath.  They defined "healing a man" as "work" however, he thought differently.  And why not, after all he was God.
John 5 :16 For this reason the Jews persecuted Jesus, and sought to kill Him,[c] because He had done these things on the Sabbath. 17 But Jesus answered them, “My Father has been working until now, and I have been working.”

18 Therefore the Jews sought all the more to kill Him, because He not only broke(ἔλυεν) the Sabbath, but also said that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God.

It is only listed the holidays that he was not at, thus we can only assume he was at holidays.
John 7 seems to indicate that Jesus did not show up on the feast of Booths from the beginning. (John 7:14) On the last Passover no mentioning of any Lamb consumption.

His circumcision was proof of his existence within the Jewish community, thus raised Jewish.
Among which Jewish tradition/sect/train of thought? Were there religious Jews separated from the existent Jewish sects at that time? How did they practice and exercise their religion?

I can't answer the question "what kind of Jew was he".   He was absolutely a Jew though, that brought salvation and established HIS church.
Yet this is the question of the topic.

Shanghaiski

Taxiarches
Reaction score
FlickFlack said:
LizaSymonenko said:
FlickFlack said:
Romaios said:
FlickFlack said:

Maybe we should discuss what kind of an Orthodox Christian you are.

Shanghaiski

Taxiarches
Reaction score
FlickFlack said:
LizaSymonenko said:
FlickFlack said:
LizaSymonenko said:
FlickFlack said:
Romaios said:
FlickFlack said:

Do you believe questions can be answered? At what point would you accept an answer to a question? At what point would you actually answer a question with an answer and not a question?

Shanghaiski

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Symeon77 said:
...as I have gathered that you reside somewhere in Greece...
If we can figure out which banned poster he was before he made this new name, we might be able to figure out where he's from. What was your last username FlickFlack?
+1