• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

How soon to have kids after marriage starts

Joseph Hazen

Reaction score
A hospital birth around here costs on average about $10,000. That's just the birth and pre-natal care (maybe not even that), not any post care, and much higher for a Caesarean. A midwife and homebirth cost us $3,000, including post care. Insurance covers most, if not all of it (our insurance covered the entire cost. I don't know about hospital births).

It's a business, mostly governed by insurance companies. Most of the money for our homebirth was paying for the time of our midwife (she was with us for over 24 hours when Anya was in labor, for example) and the doula, who was with us for most of that time too, and for several hours each pre-natal visit. It also covered some medicines (pitocin, ibuprofen, other things) and medical care (sutures, cervical checks, etc.) and even a second midwife when the first had to go with Athanasius to the hospital. Then they cleaned our house while we slept!

My wife is correcting me too and saying it was actually $2,800. So there's that lol (she does the bills and budget. I can no math).

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
But my heart belongs to Finland
You have to be rich to be an American, or so it seems.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
Cyrillic said:
On the other hand, getting rich is a lot easier when earning money is not a crime but actually encouraged by the state.

rebecca.ann

Elder
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I had my first son by emergency c-section. Granted I had insurance but a bill still got sent to me to submit an official claim...$9,800 dollars. So yes, it can put a hurt on a person's bank account if not insured!

Midwife is the way to go if able, IMO.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
mabsoota said:
it costs a few thousands pounds to give birth to a kid in usa?
:eek:

no wonder people come to the uk to have kids. if you are a uk resident, u get a free kid. just turn up at the hospital in labour and out it pops.

(disclaimer - for good health of mother and baby consult a doctor or midwife well before this point...)
If they are born in the UK, aren't they then British subjects?  That's why we have the anchor baby industry here (many just don't pay the hospital bill).

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
ialmisry said:
mabsoota said:
it costs a few thousands pounds to give birth to a kid in usa?
:eek:

no wonder people come to the uk to have kids. if you are a uk resident, u get a free kid. just turn up at the hospital in labour and out it pops.

(disclaimer - for good health of mother and baby consult a doctor or midwife well before this point...)
If they are born in the UK, aren't they then British subjects?  That's why we have the anchor baby industry here (many just don't pay the hospital bill).
Not any more. One needs to have at least two generations of British subjects on one side to be considered one (that's why my son is). But deportation can take years to finalise, which is still an advantage.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
TheTrisagion said:
Agabus said:
mabsoota said:
yeah, but if figured it would cost about 300 - 500 dollars max, i mean it's not usually very complicated, people have had kids in cars, lifts etc.

(disclaimer: i have not had kids...)
In this neck of the woods, a hospital birth will run $5,000 - $7,000 (£3,250.34 - £4,550.48), or as much as $30,000 (£19,502.04) if a Cesarean section is involved. (These are actual numbers from people I know.) This is in part due to how hospitals bill insurance companies rather than reflecting actual costs. For people without insurance, non-profit hospitals will often negotiate a much lower price after sending the initial bill.

A homebirth with a midwife present in my state costs $3,000 (£1,950.20) over the course of the pregnancy.
Our last child, the bill was right around $10,000, and that was without complications.
Eesh. My personal experience with hospital birth and associated costs (which I am fairly certain is at least somewhat geographically dependent) is  eight years old.

Our second was born at home with no midwife, though a doula was present. I think that cost us $300.

Our homebirth with the midwife was $3,000 over the course of nine months, though she gave us the option of paying $2,800 if we made a single cash payment.

Here's an interesting infographic comparing U.S. birth costs to other countries.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Cyrillic said:
On the other hand, getting rich is a lot easier when earning money is not a crime but actually encouraged by the state.
Is this in politics yet? I have a lot to say..

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The medical costs in this country are osbcene.

It has tripled since 1996!!! And the highest first death rate...

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
Achronos said:
Alpo said:
Cyrillic said:
Then why don't you start a thread in Politics to discuss what you want to say? ;)

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Achronos said:
Alpo said:
Cyrillic said:
Aren't there like 3 threads on stuff similar to this in Politics already? Do we really need another one?