• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

How Thomas Jefferson’s secret Bible might have changed history

Reaction score
My Take: How Thomas Jefferson’s secret Bible might have changed history
By Mitch Horowitz, Special to CNN

(CNN) – Imagine the following scenario: A U.S. president is discovered to be spending his spare time taking a razor to the New Testament, cutting up and re-pasting those passages of the Gospels that he considered authentic and morally true and discarding all the rest.

Gone are the virgin birth, divine healings, exorcisms and the resurrection of the dead, all of which the chief executive dismissed as “superstitions, fanaticisms and fabrications.”

Such an episode occurred, although the revised version of Scripture remained unseen for nearly seven decades after its abridger’s death. Thomas Jefferson intended it that way.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of New Gracanica
Ugh.  Still one of my favorite presidents.

Cutting out the virgin birth, miracles, etc?  What was left?  The genealogies in Luke and Matthew?

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
Thomas Jefferson is back in Washington -- in the form of a new edition of the "Jefferson Bible" distributed to politicians by a national humanist organization.
The so-called "Jefferson Bible" was handcrafted by the second president with a razor blade and a paste pot. He cut what he considered supernatural events -- the virgin birth, miracles and healings -- from the story of Jesus' life and pasted together what remained. In letters to John Adams, Jefferson described this as tearing down the "artificial scaffolding" from Jesus' teachings.

A new version published by Humanist Press takes Jefferson's idea further. In addition to Jefferson's text, "A Jefferson Bible For the 21st Century" includes what its editors consider the best and the worst of the sacred texts of other world religions -- the Hebrew Tanakh, the Quran, the Bhagavad Gita, Buddhist Sutras, and the Book of Mormon.

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
Back in the founding days of this nation, ideas were big.  The rights of Man.  Democracy, and citizenship.  And of course, freedom of religion.  But the religious debates were mostly among Protestants.  Catholics and Jews were the outliers.  Muslims?  Well they were beyond the pale.  The Ottoman, the Barbary pirate.  And, lest we forget, the American slave.  But a new book says Thomas Jefferson thought about Islam and could see a day when Muslims would be a part of the fabric of American democracy.  This hour On Point:  Thomas Jefferson, his Koran and Islam in American history.

xOrthodox4Christx

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Catholic Church
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
In other words, wreck the beliefs of others, destroy literature and remake it into your own image. lol Sounds legit.

FatherHLL

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Nea Roma
Jetavan said:
Thomas Jefferson is back in Washington -- in the form of a new edition of the "Jefferson Bible" distributed to politicians by a national humanist organization.
The so-called "Jefferson Bible" was handcrafted by the second president with a razor blade and a paste pot. He cut what he considered supernatural events -- the virgin birth, miracles and healings -- from the story of Jesus' life and pasted together what remained. In letters to John Adams, Jefferson described this as tearing down the "artificial scaffolding" from Jesus' teachings.

A new version published by Humanist Press takes Jefferson's idea further. In addition to Jefferson's text, "A Jefferson Bible For the 21st Century" includes what its editors consider the best and the worst of the sacred texts of other world religions -- the Hebrew Tanakh, the Quran, the Bhagavad Gita, Buddhist Sutras, and the Book of Mormon.
third president

FatherHLL

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Nea Roma
Papist said:
In other words, he discarded the foundation of Christ's moral authority.
Right, it was a culturally accepted thing that Jesus was a really wise person.  But what happens when that flees from the culture if the authority is not divinely given?  It makes even Jefferson's Bible worthless.  I was glad to hear recently that Washington had a prayer book with different prayers for every day of the year, though.   

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
Thomas Jefferson=19th century Marcion.  Nihil novum sub sole.

Nicene

High Elder
Reaction score
Ah the enlightenment, producing men who arrogantly assume they know more about Jesus than the church or the gospel authors that wrote about him, good job.

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of the South (OCA)
Nicene said:
Ah the enlightenment, producing men who arrogantly assume they know more about Jesus than the church or the gospel authors that wrote about him, good job.
Enlightenment (and humanism) started out as a beauty mark but has turned into a cancerous growth that is eating away at the brain and soul of mankind.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
God
He also wrote that all men are created equal, then went home to have sex with his slave girl. The great myth of great men in a nutshell, is there are none.

◄ Psalm 14:3 ►

All have turned away, all have become corrupt; there is no one who does good, not even one.

Also in Romans 3:12

BoredMeeting

High Elder
Reaction score
Except that people like to forget that the DNA testing showed 3 of Sally Heming's children were NOT related to Thomas Jefferson and only one of them could be shown to be related to a male Jefferson but they could not confirm it was Thomas.

This was a convenient finding for the Liberals in America as it knocked out one of their primary attacks against Jefferson and it was done with empirical evidence via scientific knowledge.

So, in the classic pattern of the modern Liberal...they ignored it. I understand that if you visit Monticello, you'll be given the "officially accepted" history which declares that all four of her children were sired by Thomas Jefferson.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
God
BoredMeeting said:
Except that people like to forget that the DNA testing showed 3 of Sally Heming's children were NOT related to Thomas Jefferson and only one of them could be shown to be related to a male Jefferson but they could not confirm it was Thomas.

This was a convenient finding for the Liberals in America as it knocked out one of their primary attacks against Jefferson and it was done with empirical evidence via scientific knowledge.

So, in the classic pattern of the modern Liberal...they ignored it. I understand that if you visit Monticello, you'll be given the "officially accepted" history which declares that all four of her children were sired by Thomas Jefferson.
The fact was that Sally Hemming claimed that Thomas was the father of at least one of her children, and for over 200 years the same people at Monticello flatly denied any such links, Sally gave the evidence back then to her family, otherwise there would have been no need for testing, and the fact that you have positive test data at all, means she was telling the truth.

My issue is that there is no good men, and that I am the chief sinner among sinners. Not to pick out Jefferson, but to point out that all heros are sinners in God's kingdom.

Shanghaiski

Merarches
Reaction score
Father H said:
Jetavan said:

third president
Poor John Adams was rolling over in his grave.

wainscottbl

Archon
Reaction score
I really cannot say I am surprised. I do not think it is wrong for people to love this country--America--and the idea of liberty but one problem with the America is that it is created very much on an ideal rather than organically developed, which even England was or Russia. It led to development of modern Western Europe and Russia. The French Republic, the Soviet Union, etc. It's one of the problem with American politics because everyone goes on as if liberty, like the liberty to believe what you want about scripture is the greatest virtue. The greatest of the natural virtues is love, but after that I would say honesty which includes a love of the truth. For example liberals and conservatives alike justify all their acts on "liberty" or "freedom" before the refer to justice. This is why I found American politics so frustrating. It is far to idealistic. America is not a Christian state, not even in a Protestant sense. Jefferson proves himself an enemy of Luther and all the historical reformers, has a very deep hatred for Rome and the papacy that is worse than the old Ku Klux Klan or any such group, as well as an enemy of Orthodox Christianity since he does away with all the opinions of the fathers. This does not really surprise me. It is time most Americans stopped giving such nonsense reverence to their "Founding Fathers". A good Englishman may think William the Conqueror a great figure, but they have such an organic history that the idea of being an Englishman is not just liberty and a few kings but the whole of kingship and English history mixed with acts of parliament, the Catholic/Anglican Church and everything. Maybe I am not making sense. It's not that I hate America. It's not that I hate it or the goods, like liberty from tyranny it gives me, but that this liberty and the way it was founded the very ideal. So what if Jefferson had slaves and had sex with them. It only proves him and the whole country human like so many great men in history. It proves he had moral faults and that America, just like Britain or Russia or whatever you like is but a speck God's eye.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
The relgion of the US is the US Government.  We have Fathers, heroes of the faith, sacred writings, lives of saints, holy sites, and relics.

wainscottbl

Archon
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
The relgion of the US is the US Government.  We have Fathers, heroes of the faith, sacred writings, lives of saints, holy sites, and relics.
They have Fathers to. Their Christian Fathers are the "Founding Fathers". Their Sacred Writings are the Constitution as Scripture and the writings of the Founding Fathers are the writings of the Early Christian Fathers. Their martyrs are the men who died in the Revolutionary War. Their lives of the saints are the lives of the founders. Their holy sites are the historical sites of the Revolution and thereafter, etc.

My own thought is that since the Founding Fathers rebelled against their legitimate sovereign they were traitors and rebels and deserved to be hanged, drawn and quartered as the law dictated at that time. I'm grateful for what I have as an American, but Americanism is really what pushed the Enlightenment. It after all gave the French liberals courage to overthrow their monarchy and establish a liberal republic. And this nothing against a republic itself, but against a liberal republic.