• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

How to keep from becoming "lukewarm"

trevor72694

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was in Church today and the "Luke Warmodox" thread came to mind.

Like most of us, when I was a few years younger and just discovering Orthodox Christianity, I was the very definition of "hyperdox" - extremely zealous, naive and pretentious.  I experienced a pretty thorough burn out and return to faith process, which helped me to see how silly I was.  However, I now see that I was being extremely lukewarm about my faith and such, probably as a result of my burnout.

When people here on OCnet criticize the "hyperdox," they are often members of the other extreme.  I hadn't noticed this in myself until I saw that satirical thread.

How do we keep from being too "lukewarm?"  What are some other tell-tale signs of being this way?  How can we find the happy medium between "hyperdoxy" and being lukewarm? 

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I wish I knew.  :-\

I just do my best to be moderate in my spiritual walk, so I am not binging and slacking off, but rather keeping the same basic prayer/devotional schedule and being consistent with it regardless of how I "feel".

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Tikhon.of.Colorado said:
When people here on OCnet criticize the "hyperdox," they are often members of the other extreme.  I hadn't noticed this in myself until I saw that satirical thread.
An encyclopedic definition of judging. How can you who is and who isn't lukewarm?

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Pick three or four from this list each day:

Asteriktos said:
- Limit sleep (not excessively, but don't oversleep)
- Fasting (again not excessively, but as the Church directs)
- Attend as many services as you can (Vespers, Liturgy, weekday Liturgies, etc.)
- Partake of the sacraments often
- Scripture Reading
- Do some/all of the cycle of prayers (Hours, Midnight office, etc.)
- Do a vigil (e.g. pray from the Psalter, pray akathists, etc.)
- Prepare properly for communion and confession
- Recite the Jesus Prayer
- Read the Church Fathers and other spiritual literature
- Do prostrations or bows, perhaps adding something (e.g. "Lord have mercy on me, a sinner")
- Meditate on Scripture passages and think about how they are applicable to your daily life
- Memorize certain Scripture passages such as certain Psalms so that you can pray them at any time
- Giving alms
- Restricting entertainment (for a short time, or for a lengthier period) so as to better concentrate on more important things
- Admiring God's creation
:angel:

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Step 1) Throw your computer and t.v. out the window. (if you live in a one story home, put the computer and television in the shower and turn the water on, first unplug it and proceed to step two)

Step 2) Pray unceasingly

Step 3) Thank God for everything, even those things which seem horrible

Step 4) If you can't stop your tongue from idle talking and gossip, leave all your friends, sell all you have and live in a studio apartment. (If you don't think you can do that, move to the desert and find a cave)