• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

How Y’all, Youse and You Guys Talk

Gunnarr

Archon
Reaction score
well im glad my answers got me to the correct spot...

the midwest!

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maria said:
Stockton
Sacramento
Modesto

I have never lived in any of those cities.

Born: Atlanta
Childhood: Reno and SF Bay Area
Adulthood: Los Angeles
It is conceivable that a mixture of Reno and the Bay Area would place you somewhere in between. The two major cities in between Reno and the Bay Area for the past 100 years were Stockton (US Hwy 50 (Lincoln Hwy; over the Altamont Pass)) and Sacramento (US Hwy 50 and US Hwy 40 (now I80)). I do not know how the program works.

lovesupreme

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Los Angeles
Oxnard
Santa Clarita

Being that I'm from SoCal, this is accurate.

homedad76

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
Detroit, Toledo, Grand Rapids

D-Town born and raised.. so accurate.  I don't think most people truly realize how diverse American vernacular is so this was kind of cool.

truthseeker32

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOA-Denver
I got Portland, Boise, Salt Lake City. No surprises there.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
Opus118 said:
Maria said:
Stockton
Sacramento
Modesto

It is conceivable that a mixture of Reno and the Bay Area would place you somewhere in between. The two major cities in between Reno and the Bay Area for the past 100 years were Stockton (US Hwy 50 (Lincoln Hwy; over the Altamont Pass)) and Sacramento (US Hwy 50 and US Hwy 40 (now I80)). I do not know how the program works.
Stockton is probably right on as it is in the SF Bay Area and was only 45 minutes from where I lived, but Sacramento and Modesto were several hours away. Nevertheless, some of my teachers could have been from those areas, and I was highly influenced by my teachers.

However, I got a lot of blue answers on the map. If there were more questions as in a true language survey, then I suspect the results would have been different. However, when I was in the SF Bay Area, my teachers would ridicule me whenever I would use a word or expression from the deep south, so peer pressure had a huge impact in changing my vocabulary and pronunciation. Non-native speakers and Blacks in my class also experienced peer pressure with the expressions "talk right if you want to succeed in a career" and "dress for success".

Manalive

Elder
Reaction score
Little Rock, AR
Jackson, MS
Montgomery, AL

Howdy y'all  ;D

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maria said:
Opus118 said:
Maria said:
Stockton
Sacramento
Modesto

Stockton is probably right on as it is in the SF Bay Area and was only 45 minutes from where I lived, but Sacramento and Modesto were several hours away. Nevertheless, some of my teachers could have been from those areas, and I was highly influenced by my teachers.

However, I got a lot of blue answers on the map. If there were more questions as in a true language survey, then I suspect the results would have been different. However, when I was in the SF Bay Area, my teachers would ridicule me whenever I would use a word or expression from the deep south, so peer pressure had a huge impact in changing my vocabulary and pronunciation. Non-native speakers and Blacks in my class also experienced peer pressure with the expressions "talk right if you want to succeed in a career" and "dress for success".
My maps were all blue and I never realized they were significant. I am not sure why you need to care about this as well. You are neither blue or red, your personality is Maria, which is something that I cannot ignore.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
Jurisdiction
Opus118 said:
Maria said:
Opus118 said:
Maria said:
Stockton
Sacramento
Modesto

My maps were all blue and I never realized they were significant. I am not sure why you need to care about this as well. You are neither blue or red, your personality is Maria, which is something that I cannot ignore.
Thanks. I think the spectrum from blue to red indicates usage of the targeted phoneme, not a personality trait.
In the blue map, there were certain areas with a deeper blue, but other areas with very light blue. I think that the deepest blue area would be those areas where the targeted phoneme or phrase would be more likely used.
In the yellow-orange-red map, it seemed like the areas where the targeted phoneme or phrase was more commonly found were colored bright red.

Usually a professional language map like the ones produced at the University of Pennsylvania have a legend, but this popular test provided no legend, so yes, it was confusing, and not very helpful.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Maria said:
Usually a professional language map like the ones produced at the University of Pennsylvania have a legend, but this popular test provided no legend, so yes, it was confusing, and not very helpful.
The colour bar and its key was under every single map. Dark blue > light blue > yellow > orange > red = from lesser to greater occurrence of the particular answer.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Faith
Jurisdiction
Arachne said:
Maria said:
The colour bar and its key was under every single map. Dark blue > light blue > yellow > orange > red = from lesser to greater occurrence of the particular answer.
Thank you. I did not see that color bar, so I was left clueless.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Tried it a third time, still locked up on me when I hit for the results.

I do wonder how much of my language is common for these parts nowadays. I spent a lot of time with my grandparents when I was younger, and learned to use words like caddy-corner, which I've never heard other people in the area use.

orthohawk

Reaction score
Jetavan said:
How Y’all, Youse and You Guys Talk

What does the way you speak say about where you’re from? Answer all the questions below to see your personal dialect map.

-- -- -- --

The first time I did the survey, my speech patterns indicated I was from: (1) Alexandria, Virginia; or (2) Overland Park, Kansas; or (3) San Antonio, Texas. On a second attempt, the results were: (1) Birmingham, Alabama; or (2) Montgomery, Alabama; or (3) Jackson, Mississippi.
They got the general region right (swath from Ohio thru to iowa/missouri) but not the cities.  Closest they got was Toledo (grew up in Dayton).

Of course, my results are kinda skewed:  I've been in Iowa for 16 years and spent about 6 years in the military, where one tends to meet people from all over, and I'm sure I picked up some other regionalisms. A couple of the questions I could have honestly answered with more than one:  I say "you guys" "you all" and "you" pretty much evenly.

orthohawk

Reaction score
ZealousZeal said:
You know what's so bizarre to me? People here call this:

a toboggan. That is a hat. A toboggan is this:

The Midwest is a weird, weird place.
I've been in the Midwest for 47 of my 53 years and I have never called any kind of hat a "toboggan"....that's a sled.  The hat in your picture is a watchcap (military influence; I don't even remember if there was a separate word for this kind of hat when I was growing up).

Tikhon29605

High Elder
Reaction score
I took the test and the three cities I matched up with most closely were Madison, Wisconsin, Rockford, IL and Rochester, NY.  I actually live in upstate South Carolina.  However, I never had a strong Southern accent to begin with because I was raised in a place with lots of immigrants from all over the United States and Europe.  The slight Southern accent I had was weeded out when I went to college in Minnesota.  However, I don't sound "Fargo" enough to sound like a real Minnesotan. Lots of people say I sound like someone from Ohio or Nebraska. 

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ACROD
orthohawk said:
ZealousZeal said:

I've been in the Midwest for 47 of my 53 years and I have never called any kind of hat a "toboggan"....that's a sled.  The hat in your picture is a watchcap (military influence; I don't even remember if there was a separate word for this kind of hat when I was growing up).
THat's what we would be calling a toque

Christina

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
Atlanta, GA
Columbus, GA
Jackson, MS

My mother graduated from high school in Columbus, but we've lived east of Atlanta.

Christina

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
TheMathematician said:
orthohawk said:
ZealousZeal said:

That's a stocking cap.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Faith
Episcopal
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Florida
Christina said:
TheMathematician said:
orthohawk said:
ZealousZeal said:

That's a stocking cap.
"Winter hat"

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
biro said:
Christina said:
TheMathematician said:
orthohawk said:
ZealousZeal said:

That's a stocking cap.
"Winter hat"
'Beanie'

This is getting kinda fun!

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad