• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

HTM Book of Hours (New)

Twenty Nine

Reaction score
Has anyone seen/bought the "pocket-size" Book of Hours that Holy Transfiguration Monastery just published? It is a 176-page book with the Midnight Service and hours, similar to the green Psalter book.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
podkarpatska said:
What is the current status of HTM? It is fair comment to note that it has a somewhat convoluted history.
But their publications are sexy. 

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
podkarpatska said:
What is the current status of HTM? It is fair comment to note that it has a somewhat convoluted history.
Still in HOCNA, so status: you decide.
Mor Ephrem said:
Yup.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
hecma925 said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Yup.
Agree.  I'm wondering whether I should get this.  I could always use it at my office rather than carry my huge Horologion with me.  Mor, let us know what you think.

Twenty Nine

Reaction score
I ordered it yesterday and I live an hour away from the monastery, so I should receive it today/tomorrow.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
scamandrius said:
hecma925 said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Yup.
Agree.  I'm wondering whether I should get this.  I could always use it at my office rather than carry my huge Horologion with me.  Mor, let us know what you think.
Sure will...mine will be ordered tonight.  Twenty Nine might be me to a review, though.  I look forward to hearing from him. 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
I may get this together with the prayerbook for the husband, once his Chrismation prep gets underway. Even considering P&P from across the pond, the prices are way cheaper than on Amazon.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Mor Ephrem said:
scamandrius said:
hecma925 said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Yup.
Sure will...mine will be ordered tonight.  Twenty Nine might be me to a review, though.  I look forward to hearing from him. 
Then I'd like to hear from both of you.  BTW, this book is not available on Amazon.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
scamandrius said:
BTW, this book is not available on Amazon.
As it's brand new, the listing may take some time. But considering that the prayerbook, that is $18 from them, is $22 on Amazon, I can see this one going for $30-ish.

Inquirer

Elder
Reaction score
Does this have the Psalms included, or would one need to also use the Pocket Psalter in conjunction? I would assume the latter since this book appears to only be 176 pgs.

Twenty Nine

Reaction score
Inquirer said:
Does this have the Psalms included, or would one need to also use the Pocket Psalter in conjunction? I would assume the latter since this book appears to only be 176 pgs.
The Psalter is 240+ pages, so I really don't think the Book of Hours contains the Psalms. Buy the pocket Psalter...well worth the price.

I really like the service books that HTM publishes. The larger, blue Psalter is a must have. Not expensive and beautiful. The blue Prayer Book is good also; although it does not contain the canon of repentance before confession (not sure why).

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Twenty Nine said:
Inquirer said:
The Psalter is 240+ pages, so I really don't think the Book of Hours contains the Psalms. Buy the pocket Psalter...well worth the price.

I really like the service books that HTM publishes. The larger, blue Psalter is a must have. Not expensive and beautiful. The blue Prayer Book is good also; although it does not contain the canon of repentance before confession (not sure why).
YOu mean that the three psalms for each hour are not included?  I hope that's not what you meant.

Twenty Nine

Reaction score
No, the psalms for each hour must be included. I meant that the entire psalter is not available in the Book of Hours.

Twenty Nine

Reaction score
The Book of Hours arrived today.

The paper is slightly different: Mohawk Via Laid, very good quality and beautiful presentation. The typeset is the same as the pocket Psalter: Monotype Plantin. Contains The Midnight Service, The First Hour, The Third Hour, The Sixth Hour, The Service of the Typica, the Antiphons and Prokeimenon for each day of the week, The Service of the Refectory, and The Ninth Hour.

Each Hour is about 15 pages in total.

Regnare

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
How does it take 15 pages to get through a Little Hour? It takes 6 each in my prayer book (the Old Orthodox Prayer Book published by the Church of the Nativity in Erie), and the same in the service book my parish uses.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Twenty Nine said:

The paper is slightly different: Mohawk Via Laid, very good quality and beautiful presentation. The typeset is the same as the pocket Psalter: Monotype Plantin. Contains The Midnight Service, The First Hour, The Third Hour, The Sixth Hour, The Service of the Typica, the Antiphons and Prokeimenon for each day of the week, The Service of the Refectory, and The Ninth Hour.

Does it also include the hours as they are read during the Great Lenten fast?  Does it also have the mid hours?

jah777

Archon
Reaction score
podkarpatska said:
Its not that convoluted.  Before 1986 they were with ROCOR.  Since 1986, they have been flying solo.  Either way, their translations remain highly regarded.

Twenty Nine

Reaction score
scamandrius said:
Twenty Nine said:

Does it also include the hours as they are read during the Great Lenten fast?  Does it also have the mid hours?
Yes to both!

Inquirer

Elder
Reaction score
Am I the only person that can never tell if "HTM" is supposed to refer to the Brookline, MA monastery or the Jordanville, NY monastery?

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Inquirer said:
Am I the only person that can never tell if "HTM" is supposed to refer to the Brookline, MA monastery or the Jordanville, NY monastery?
I've only ever heard "Jordanville" as shorthand for the NY monastery, never HTM.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Twenty Nine said:
scamandrius said:
Twenty Nine said:

Yes to both!
I may have to purchase it after all.

Shlomlokh

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Bulgarian/GOA
jah777 said:
podkarpatska said:
Its not that convoluted.  Before 1986 they were with ROCOR.  Since 1986, they have been flying solo.  Either way, their translations remain highly regarded.
I agree. Their translations are great. I have heard that Met. Joseph of the Antiochians wants to make their translations standard across the archdiocese. Wish others would follow suit. GOA translations are abysmally awful.

In Christ,
Andrew

Inquirer

Elder
Reaction score
I have heard that the HTM/Boston Psalter wasn't that good from some sources; supposedly it has some awkward renderings and imprecise translations. I don't have a copy of it so I cannot comment. What do you all think?

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Inquirer said:
I have heard that the HTM/Boston Psalter wasn't that good from some sources; supposedly it has some awkward renderings and imprecise translations. I don't have a copy of it so I cannot comment. What do you all think?
THere are some archaisms and obsolete terms, but overall, I like it.  I think it flows quite nicely and since it is consistent overall, once you start to understand their phrasings, you won't have many problems going from psalm 1 to psalm 150.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Inquirer said:
I'm not an expert in terms of translation from Greek into English, but I have found it to be too awkward for me to use in prayer.  For a Psalter in "traditional" English, I prefer and recommend David James' A Psalter for Prayer.  

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Mor Ephrem said:
Inquirer said:
I'm not an expert in terms of translation from Greek into English, but I have found it to be too awkward for me to use in prayer.  For a Psalter in "traditional" English, I prefer and recommend David James' A Psalter for Prayer.  
That's what I use and look forward to using it as often as possible.

Inquirer

Elder
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Inquirer said:
Is there a pocket version of that, which perhaps includes the Odes?

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Inquirer said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Inquirer said:
Is there a pocket version of that, which perhaps includes the Odes?
We must pray.  ;)

gueranger

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Roman Catholic
Mor Ephrem said:
For a Psalter in "traditional" English, I prefer and recommend David James' A Psalter for Prayer.  

Would that be easy for beginner to use?

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
gueranger said:
Mor Ephrem said:
For a Psalter in "traditional" English, I prefer and recommend David James' A Psalter for Prayer.  

1). Open book
2). Read Psalms.
3). Allelulia, etc. at end of stasis/kathisma

Not difficult at all.

gueranger

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Roman Catholic
Agabus said:
gueranger said:
Mor Ephrem said:

1). Open book
2). Read Psalms.

Not difficult at all.
Sweet.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
gueranger said:
Agabus said:
gueranger said:
Mor Ephrem said:

1). Open book
2). Read Psalms.

Not difficult at all.
Sweet.
This* is not David James' work, but it's an adaptation of the same Cloverdale text he used arranged for Orthodox use.

*link opens as a .doc

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
Mor Ephrem said:
Have you gotten yours yet? What do you think?

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Alveus Lacuna said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Have you gotten yours yet? What do you think?
Yes, I did.  Like their prayer book and pocket Psalter, it is a well organised and attractive little volume.  I have some minor quibbles about things that might've been omitted/included, but it's not really a significant problem.   

I recommend it, though I'd also buy the prayer book if I didn't have it already.