• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Hundreds more Church of England defections expected

Reaction score
By Martin Beckford, Religious Affairs Editor

7:30AM GMT 28 Dec 2011

Hundreds more disaffected Anglicans will cross over to the Roman Catholic Church this year as the Church of England prepares to take another important step towards the ordination of women bishops.

At least 20 clergy and several hundred of their parishioners are already lined up to join the Ordinariate, the new structure set up by the Pope a year ago that allows them to remain some of their Anglican heritage while entering into full communion with the Holy See.

Byron

High Elder
Reaction score
HandmaidenofGod said:

Hundreds more disaffected Anglicans will cross over to the Roman Catholic Church this year as the Church of England prepares to take another important step towards the ordination of women bishops.

At least 20 clergy and several hundred of their parishioners are already lined up to join the Ordinariate, the new structure set up by the Pope a year ago that allows them to remain some of their Anglican heritage while entering into full communion with the Holy See.
Why aren't the Orthodox churches more pro-active in trying to attract  conservative Anglicans instead of just letting the RCC take them all in?

Wasted opportunity methinks.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Byron said:
HandmaidenofGod said:

Why aren't the Orthodox churches more pro-active in trying to attract  conservative Anglicans instead of just letting the RCC take them all in?

Yes and no.

On the one hand, the jurisdictions are worried about offending the Anglicans, ecumenism, etc. diluting the ethnicity of the Church etc.

On the other, the Anglicans have been given more than enough reason to leave for decades (like ordaining deniers of the Resurrection): is opposition to a woman bishop enough to become Orthodox?

But yes, and opportunity could and should be made, and it isn't. For one, the general hostility to the WRO in general and IIRC in particular in mission in England at these times.

dzheremi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
A golden opportunity for the British Orthodox under the Coptic Patriarchate, perhaps. :)

After all, there's reason enough to believe that the same forces that have beset the CoE will continue to chip away at the RC, especially as Pope Benedict is reported to not be very healthy these days. I don't want to say it's just a matter of time, but well...I believe it is, or I might've fought a bit harder myself.

mabsoota

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox (Coptic)
i know some clergy in this position and it is a difficult choice for them.
if they join rome, they get a job and a house.
if they join the orthodox church they start with nothing (materially speaking of course).
many of them have wives and families.

the coptic and british orthodox churches in uk are numerically very small compared to the catholics and protestants.
the other oriental orthodox churches are even smaller.
so maybe we could join with some eastern orthodox in educating them on orthodoxy in britain.
they may not be very big either, but together we could be big enough to be noticed.

does anyone from here want to join this work?
we could form better links between the uk orthodox churches.
that way we could advertise our existence more effectively and anyone who wanted to ask further questions could write to us.
please send a personal message if you are seriously interested in this work and if you are in uk or have friends in uk we could link with.

peterfarrington

Protokentarchos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.stgeorgeministry.com
Faith
Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Patriarchal Diocese
Most Anglicans who have remained Anglicans until now do not want to become Orthodox at all. They want to find a way to continue being Anglicans. Many of the Anglicans who have attended Orthodox services and even become Orthodox do not stay because they never wanted to become Orthodox, they wanted the freedom which Anglicanism allows to create their own spirituality.

This is not meant as a put down of Anglicans, it is just a matter of fact. If you can remain Anglican until now then you do not really want to become Orthodox.

Of course there are also Anglicans who want to become Orthodox as part of the trajectory of their spiritual pilgrimage and they have a different attitude towards Orthodoxy. But it is just not the case that there are lots of Anglicans just waiting to become Orthodox. I would say that most Anglicans who have Catholic leanings are well aware of Orthodoxy, but they have been already encouraged in their own Anglican Catholic press not to consider the Orthodox option, not least because it does not provide scope to carry on being Anglicans.

Keble

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Byron said:
Well, WRO collected those people years ago.

One should remember that even in the USA "hundreds" of Anglicans is next to nothing. The I-think-it's-up-to-three ECUSA parishes that are joining the ordinariate have a couple hundred members between them. I had the impression that there were going to be more C-of-E defections than just "hundreds", but if that's all they're talking about, the ordiniariate is going to be pretty small there, given that Hepworth's group has no traction in the UK.

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
Father Peter said:
Most Anglicans who have remained Anglicans until now do not want to become Orthodox at all. They want to find a way to continue being Anglicans. Many of the Anglicans who have attended Orthodox services and even become Orthodox do not stay because they never wanted to become Orthodox, they wanted the freedom which Anglicanism allows to create their own spirituality.

This is not meant as a put down of Anglicans, it is just a matter of fact. If you can remain Anglican until now then you do not really want to become Orthodox.

Of course there are also Anglicans who want to become Orthodox as part of the trajectory of their spiritual pilgrimage and they have a different attitude towards Orthodoxy. But it is just not the case that there are lots of Anglicans just waiting to become Orthodox. I would say that most Anglicans who have Catholic leanings are well aware of Orthodoxy, but they have been already encouraged in their own Anglican Catholic press not to consider the Orthodox option, not least because it does not provide scope to carry on being Anglicans.
Thanks for the reality dose, I have some traditionalist Episcopalian relatives and although they have a familial link to the Orthodox faith and to some extent they honor it, they are searching for a way to preserve what they perceive to be the positive attributes of their Anglican heritage and they do not view Orthodoxy as you put it, providing them "the scope to carry on being Anglicans."

Byron

High Elder
Reaction score
Father Peter said:

Thank you for this first hand insight Father Peter. It's understandable that most conservative Anglicans would want to retain their practises and would view Orthodoxy as something "alien" to overall British culture or alternatively as the faith of people in all those backwards Eastern European countries.

However I was under the impression that conservative Anglicans were solidly anti-Rome, anti-Pope. Am i wrong or is the direction the CoE is heading in so dire that they would rather submit to the Pope as long as they retain their practises in a quasi-independent ordinariate?

Instead of submitting to Rome, why isn't there a movement to break away from the Archbishop of Canterbury and retain a traditional, conservative Ango-Catholic church? I thought this was what was happening in Africa and Asia.

Byron

High Elder
Reaction score
ialmisry said:
Byron said:
HandmaidenofGod said:

Yes and no.

On the one hand, the jurisdictions are worried about offending the Anglicans, ecumenism, etc. diluting the ethnicity of the Church etc.

On the other, the Anglicans have been given more than enough reason to leave for decades (like ordaining deniers of the Resurrection): is opposition to a woman bishop enough to become Orthodox?

But yes, and opportunity could and should be made, and it isn't. For one, the general hostility to the WRO in general and IIRC in particular in mission in England at these times.
Could you please elaborate more on the hoistility towards the WRO and the mission in England. I'm not aware of these events.

Jason.Wike

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
May all the Saints of the British Isles intercede to bring them back to Orthodoxy. Especially Saints Petroc, Patrick, Cuthbert, Ninian, Aidan, Alban, Aristobulus and Columba.

Crucifer

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.uscj.org
Faith
Jewish(Conservative)
I'm not sure if this applies in England, but here in the South conservative Anglicans/Episcopalians tend to be more of the low church/pentacostal/happy clappy type and to have more of a symbolic view of Holy Communion. i doubt if the RC or EO churched would appeal to them. Remember many conservative Anglicans picket Walsingham during pilgrimage times to protest it's "idolatry".

Why hasn't the head of the CofE created some solution to keep everyone happy? Supposedly she's a great figurehead of unity where ever she goes. Hasn't she got accumulated years of wisdom by virtue of being trained for her role from birth just for such occasions?

Keble

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Tallitot said:
Why hasn't the head of the CofE created some solution to keep everyone happy? Supposedly she's a great figurehead of unity where ever she goes. Hasn't she got accumulated years of wisdom by virtue of being trained for her role from birth just for such occasions?
Well, funny you should mention Her Majesty (no, the Real one, which I'll get back to in a minute): her Christmas message this year contains within it a very nice little sermon for the season. But unfortunately she is incapable of serving as a rallying point, just as it seems to me that Cantuar cannot (and indeed has not been able to) contain the crisis. Which takes us back to the otherHer Majesty, which is the title my old rector is wont to use to refer to the Presiding Bishop. The American liberals have looked upon their church as a locus for social change and have worked hard to force ordination of women and acceptance of homosexuality on everyone they can reach; conversely they have used the weakness on Anglican structures as they once existed to prevent anyone from calling them to account. It's instructive how much liberal church organs go on about the Anglican Covenant, which they despise, considering that the proposal is pretty much dead as a doornail. If the communion as a whole started to dictate the national church's ability to deviate from traditional teaching on sexuality, the Americans would lose.