• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Hyperdox Herman

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score

All the sillier is our hyperdox friend, as the H in Herman is actually G in Greek and Slavonic - Germanos/German. No daseia required. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score

Priceless. Just priceless.  :laugh: :laugh:

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
LBK said:

All the sillier, as the H in Herman is actually G in Greek and Slavonic - Germanos/German. No daseia required. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I wish Michal would embed his. It would make it easier to give credit where credit is due.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
All recent ones were mad by that Ukrainian guy. They are nice but he makes to many of them to handle them all.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Michał Kalina said:
All recent ones were mad by that Ukrainian guy. They are nice but he makes to many of them to handle them all.
Who do you mean?

DerekMK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
LBK said:

All the sillier is our hyperdox friend, as the H in Herman is actually G in Greek and Slavonic - Germanos/German. No daseia required. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
In these parts Герман is Herman, not German  :police:

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Νεκτάριος said:
LBK said:

In these parts Герман is Herman, not German  :police:
That's why I didn't say Ukrainian or Belarussian.  :angel:

DerekMK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
In pretty much all of the Southern dialects of Russian from Odessa to Atrakhan, г is h.  If I'm not mistaken the "proper" pronunciation of Church Slavonic is supposed to be something closer to this than the Northern Russian г. In practice I've almost never heard a priest here mumble Church Slavonic without г = h and the vowel reduction of standard Russian. 

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Νεκτάριος said:
In practice I've almost never heard a priest here mumble Church Slavonic without г = h and the vowel reduction of standard Russian. 
In practise I've almost never heard a priest that does not do that.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
In pretty much all of the Southern dialects of Russian from Odessa to Astrakhan, г is h.
Must be related to the age of the person. I know folks from those regions, including a member of my extended family, who are all in their seventies and eighties, whose г is g, not h.

DerekMK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Michał Kalina said:
Νεκτάριος said:
In practice I've almost never heard a priest here mumble Church Slavonic without г = h and the vowel reduction of standard Russian. 
In practise I've almost never heard a priest that does not do that.
A typo on my part.  I meant to say that in practice every priest I've heard serve in Slavonic in Ukraine basically mumbles it in a local Russian accent. 

LBK said:
In pretty much all of the Southern dialects of Russian from Odessa to Astrakhan, г is h.
Must be related to the age of the person. I know folks from those regions, including a member of my extended family, who are all in their seventies and eighties, whose г is g, not h.
Age and when they left are probably factors as well.  In the last 40 - 50 years migrants to the cities in this belt have more and more been coming from the surrounding countryside rather than Russia proper.  Even now accent is markedly different between someone who grew up in the city and say 20 km outside of it.   

Quinault

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I want a samovar. I know precisely what they are for. It is a bummer that they are so expensive :(