Reaction score
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
Babalon said:
Severian said:
Babalon said:
Jetavan said:
Cyrillic said:
God was able to turn something as evil as the crucifiction into something good.
You do know that the crucifixion actually happened, right? ::)
Oh it certainly did. Many times.  ;D
You do know that those Jesus Copy-cat theorists are a bunch of crackpots unsupported by true scholarship, right?
Woah woah woah. First, you need to excuse yourself to the restroom and un-bunch those panties, then rejoin us.

All i was saying, was that crucifixion happened more than one time in history.  ::)
Well from the context of your earlier posts it was only reasonable to assume that the Christ myth theory was what you were referring to, being that you have espoused it before.

Babalon

Reaction score
Website
hermetic.com
Severian said:
Babalon said:
Severian said:
Babalon said:
Jetavan said:
Cyrillic said:
You do know that those Jesus Copy-cat theorists are a bunch of crackpots unsupported by true scholarship, right?
Woah woah woah. First, you need to excuse yourself to the restroom and un-bunch those panties, then rejoin us.

All i was saying, was that crucifixion happened more than one time in history.   ::)
Well from the context of your earlier posts it was only reasonable to assume that the Christ myth theory was what you were referring to, being that you have espoused it before.
Herp derp.

I'm not entirely sure which theory you're hinting at right now and i honestly don't care.

But since you brought it up, yes. I do believe Christ is a myth. But I also believe the myth is more important than the "facts".

Severian

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
Babalon said:
Severian said:
Babalon said:
Severian said:
Babalon said:
Jetavan said:
Cyrillic said:

All i was saying, was that crucifixion happened more than one time in history.  ::)
Herp derp.

I'm not entirely sure which theory you're hinting at right now and i honestly don't care.

But since you brought it up, yes. I do believe Christ is a myth. But I also believe the myth is more important than the "facts".
Of course you don't care. I wouldn't expect you to. Very few Internet skeptics care about the facts of history.

And your potty talk and shallow rhetoric just goes to show the fruits of "new" Atheist cultism. You Internet "new" atheists and weak atheists (AKA agnostics) are all the same predictable bunch.

trevor72694

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
James, from one young person to another, I understand what you're feeling.

I found that when I hit a certain point in my maturing, I saw the Church as something that I didn't really need anymore.  I completely understand your comments about the Orthodox Church, and conservative religious in general.

This is part of growing up, I believe.  You and I aren't adults.  We're getting there, but we're still maturing.  I've gone through an identity crisis of sorts, feeling the need to find out and express who I am (and want to be) as an individual.  

I left the Orthodox Church.  I went through a little episode of atheism (though I wasn't actually an atheist.  I believe in God, and I can only pretend not to).  

Not that this would be the right thing for you, but I've found solace in the Episcopal Church.  It has the traditions that I love, but not the gay-bashing and rolling around on the floor that I'd come to expect from Protestantism as Orthodox.  I can go to Church with my family, most of whom are from varying denominations, and we can receive communion together.  There also isn't this "we're right and everyone else is wrong" mentality in this type of Protestantism.  I mean, let's keep it real.  God is what you make of Him.  He wouldn't actually create only one true way to believe, at the exclusion of all others.  

You have to do what's right for you.  It's your life, after all.  

Don't let anyone make you feel like you're somehow worse off than you were when you were "great Orthodox kid with all this religious saintly potential".

Growing up sucks, but finding the right path (if any), and growing from different experiences really makes it worth it.

Anywhoo, I wish you luck, my friend.  If you ever wish to PM me, my inbox is open to you.

GTAsoldier

Elder
Reaction score
James,

I don't got much words for what you was saying, but I do hope and pray that you get through this tough time you're having. I often struggle with anger too. Anger against myself, others, and even God. What actually gets me past it is finding something distracting for me to do (in a good way, of course). Sometimes, I end up finding a good laugh on something on the internet, and then boom, everything I felt before was like the wind blowing away.

In addition, what especially gets me through is looking forward to the next day. As one poster here told me, "start each day anew" because everyday is like a resurrection.

You're young, bro. There are a whole lot of things in life you have yet to experience. You'll go through mountains and valleys in spiritual development. Judging from what I've read, it seems to me that you're going through a valley. But remember this: these mountains and valleys are only temporary. We ain't called to be track stars in this race called life that God has given us. Instead, we're called to keep running the race breathing on God's oxygen everyday. How far we've gone won't be realized until the very end of our days.

In the meantime, focus on the growth, and talk to God with confidence and without fear and condemnation. Have the strength to stand in front of the Christ icon and before saying a prayer, say "Lord, make me worthy to pray thankfully:....".

Lord have mercy on you, me, and all of us.

- Jade

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Severian said:
Babalon said:
Severian said:
Babalon said:
Severian said:
Babalon said:
Jetavan said:
Cyrillic said:

All i was saying, was that crucifixion happened more than one time in history.   ::)
Herp derp.

Of course you don't care. I wouldn't expect you to. Very few Internet skeptics care about the facts of history.

And your potty talk and shallow rhetoric just goes to show the fruits of "new" Atheist cultism. You Internet "new" atheists and weak atheists (AKA agnostics) are all the same predictable bunch.
Easy there.

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
trevor72694 said:
James, from one young person to another, I understand what you're feeling.

I found that when I hit a certain point in my maturing, I saw the Church as something that I didn't really need anymore.  I completely understand your comments about the Orthodox Church, and conservative religious in general.

This is part of growing up, I believe.  You and I aren't adults.  We're getting there, but we're still maturing.  I've gone through an identity crisis of sorts, feeling the need to find out and express who I am (and want to be) as an individual.  

I left the Orthodox Church.  I went through a little episode of atheism (though I wasn't actually an atheist.  I believe in God, and I can only pretend not to).  

Not that this would be the right thing for you, but I've found solace in the Episcopal Church.  It has the traditions that I love, but not the gay-bashing and rolling around on the floor that I'd come to expect from Protestantism as Orthodox.  I can go to Church with my family, most of whom are from varying denominations, and we can receive communion together.  There also isn't this "we're right and everyone else is wrong" mentality in this type of Protestantism.  I mean, let's keep it real.  God is what you make of Him.  He wouldn't actually create only one true way to believe, at the exclusion of all others.  

You have to do what's right for you.  It's your life, after all.  

Don't let anyone make you feel like you're somehow worse off than you were when you were "great Orthodox kid with all this religious saintly potential".

Growing up sucks, but finding the right path (if any), and growing from different experiences really makes it worth it.

Anywhoo, I wish you luck, my friend.  If you ever wish to PM me, my inbox is open to you.
Wow this is one lame post. Glad you're "keepin' it real" and deciding what God will or won't do, homie. Agh James would scoff at this.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
[size=10pt][size=10pt]God is what you make of Him. [/size] [/size]
I see. Making God in your own image.  ::)

neon_knights

High Elder
Reaction score
Severian said:
Babalon said:
Severian said:
Babalon said:
Severian said:
Babalon said:
Jetavan said:
Cyrillic said:

Herp derp.

Severian, Babalon is not an atheist. Babalon is a person of faith(although he doesnt necessarily share ours), and I'm almost 100 percent sure that he believes Jesus was a real person. He never denied such a fact. Saying that Christ is a "myth" is not the same thing as saying that he never existed.

Babalon

Reaction score
Website
hermetic.com
Severian said:
Babalon said:
Severian said:
Babalon said:
Severian said:
Babalon said:
Jetavan said:
Cyrillic said:

Herp derp.

You're arguing with a Ghost, brother.

I realize my input in this thread has been rather pretty unnecessary, but my moronic antics are being greatly shadowed by your own right about now. You sound like you've been saving these statements up for awhile- looking for the right non-christian to dump it on. Unfortunately, you cut some corners and were a little too specific on some of these well-thought responses of yours.. I'm not a new, old, weak or "internet" Atheist. I'm not an Atheist at all. Or if i am, i'm about as much of an Atheist as i am a Christian. Huh. How does every conversation i enter turn into a discussion about "what" or "who" I am? I'm such an attention whore!  ;)
neon_knights said:
Severian said:
Babalon said:
Severian said:
Babalon said:
Severian said:
Babalon said:
Jetavan said:
Cyrillic said:

Herp derp.

Severian, Babalon is not an atheist. Babalon is a person of faith(although he doesnt necessarily share ours), and I'm almost 100 percent sure that he believes Jesus was a real person. He never denied such a fact. Saying that Christ is a "myth" is not the same thing as saying that he never existed.
Ding ding.

Severian

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
Severian said:
Achronos said:
That brings up a good subject though. How many rabbis during Christ's time tried to be the messiah?
I think JP Holding (of Tektonics.org) mentioned that it was not as many as fundy Atheists like to purport. I'll try to find a reference...
Here's a video discussing the issue:

Click.

Nathanael

High Elder
Reaction score
I won't worship the deadbeat father responsible for all the suffering in the world.
To stop suffering God have to take our whole freedom. From freedom suffering starts. It's the highest gift to man. We can decide if we want to be good, if we want to worship God or not. To stop suffering God have to enforce us to love him, to worship him, to do good things- to be like robots.

tweety234

High Elder
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Glad to see when the prodigal son comes back you won't be there with open arms.
well achronos, this is the difference between people and God. If one truly Repents, God is faithful to forgive us provided that we also do our part and forgive others. Some people however will keep hating to the end of eternity. That is forever and ever.

tweety234

High Elder
Reaction score
Jason.Wike said:
Green_Umbrella said:
Achronos said:
Green_Umbrella said:
Achronos said:
Green_Umbrella said:
Good. Christianity does not need a ¨Christian¨ like you anyways.
O rly?
Yeah, really.
And you come to this conclusion how?
Well, let us see. He says God is unfair. No, he goes beyond that and says he ¨hates¨ God. He says Satan is not such a bad guy. He says God is a ¨tyrant¨ He says he wishes he was the one who could have crucified God. He says God is a ¨monster¨

Yes I understand him perfect. He wants to move God to the side so he can go do whatever he wants. We are all...¨weak minded people and senile old folks¨ and he is  ¨more intelligent than 90% of people my age and many people older than me..¨ and blah, blah, blah.

So yeah. I have no trouble say we do not need Christians like him. I do not anyways.
Then its a good thing it doesn't matter at all what you "need" in the context of someone else's salvation.

Also saying what you've said can only serve to worsen James' state of mind. Anyone trying to drive someone who is already despairing and in pain away from Christianity is exactly the WORST thing you could be doing, its completely satanic.

maybe.